Kirk28’s 330 280c caddy wagon

kirk28

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kirk28 said:

I think that one is in line to be worked on by a coach builder in CHCH... prob the only 330 coupe in NZ..

The coachbuilder is the owner of it. He's a mate of mine. We cut up a shell to use as rust cuts for that car and mine. Sills are being made at the moment. Apparently it's one of only 2 330 coupes that came to nz and the other one has been MIA for 20 odd years. 

1 hour ago, Carsnz123 said:

The coachbuilder is the owner of it. He's a mate of mine. We cut up a shell to use as rust cuts for that car and mine. Sills are being made at the moment. Apparently it's one of only 2 330 coupes that came to nz and the other one has been MIA for 20 odd years. 

Yeah Im a coachbuilder too but have heard Wal has his hand on it. There were 5 330 coupes brought into the country from NZ. One was Demo Derbied by a mate back in the 90s in Northland. Have photos somewhere of 2 others as well.

Good to hear its being worked on. Alot of work needed on that car . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirk28 said:

Here’s the KH330 coupe in NZ  that was mentioned it’s down south 

F8EEF6D4-EEC7-49B4-9365-8FB4C7FDE0E8.jpeg

9B7663FB-6C84-49D0-87FE-3D3C4A8859BC.jpeg

8DB69678-030E-45B7-8293-02660414ED18.jpeg

01D84B3C-D7D3-45A6-952C-5D546EE2A1F8.jpeg

6D179B4E-65C8-4849-A426-3B9AC6CD0393.jpeg

Yeah those are all my old photos . First 3 are from the car paddock down near Waimate. 4th one is outside my old house. 5th is in John Van Beek of Cedric fames backyard in Templeton. 

• Like 2

Yea "Wals" 330 coupe is now in storage so at least its dry - further gone than in those pics from memory.

@kirk28 those taillights look spectacular - are they all lights or just the corner ones still? Are you going to lower it? Jelly of the whole thing really.

@73crownwagon - rust work / panel beating on the wagon? Plans?

This is a fucking lush wagon, digging that metallic brown paint.

The 3m wood-grain is super expensive and is weird, now days its made for the interior of buildings not cars (I got fuck loads of samples for my wag). Although you only need a small bit so it may work for you. If you know a good sign writer with a good high res woodgrain image then that would be a easier option maybe.

There is one super cheap off the shelf wood grain vynil in the world here at JC Whitney, only one colour option though and its a 20ft roll haha. Only $67 USD though, its good shit.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Univ/Spartan/Decal/SPA9930020.html#plpslot5

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/05/2018 at 09:18, Spencer said:

This is a fucking lush wagon, digging that metallic brown paint.

The 3m wood-grain is super expensive and is weird, now days its made for the interior of buildings not cars (I got fuck loads of samples for my wag). Although you only need a small bit so it may work for you. If you know a good sign writer with a good high res woodgrain image then that would be a easier option maybe.

There is one super cheap off the shelf wood grain vynil in the world here at JC Whitney, only one colour option though and its a 20ft roll haha. Only $67 USD though, its good shit.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Univ/Spartan/Decal/SPA9930020.html#plpslot5

Thanks man.. the last owner had wrapped it with some lighter stuff than factory but stands out better than the factory colour. It’s also cheap stuff but will do for now prob will last a few years as it will always be garaged.

i remember getting the auto 3M vinyl for my GX60 wagon over 10 years ago was super $$$ but is still like new.

90F61D5B-FEC6-4C02-99B9-65A1F960FA63.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I’m going to put the 330 hardtop/ coupe / brougham front on the wagon.. have found a rotten brougham: but the light reflectors are rusty; they are a sealed beam... any idea on who could fix / recondition them? 

E76CE86F-2BF5-4D36-91B1-7CDF21A47831.jpeg

113A3970-6B4C-4EFB-A226-0C03388603A6.jpeg

Are they not just 2bx lamps?

(Edit I see they are not, they are oval? Some guy said use 7x9)

Dunno about sealed beams, you can take them apart and all, but then you need to purge the air from inside.

If the backs are decent metal you could then go ahead and modify them to fit a h4 bulb

The reflectors on my commer were refinished by a place in CHCH. Not cheap

• Like 1

Thanks torton; yeah there’s a place in japan that refurbishes them and replaces them with a H4 bulb but it costs like $400 each light and then you’ve got shipping etc etc and then the reflector needs doing; prob not worth trying to fix?? How much were your lights to be done? And what’s the name of the place that did them?

If you know someone who can weld and set the H4 filaments to focus where the sealed beams filaments basically were you'll be almost there.  Just need the reflector coated.  I cheated & put 'chrome' vinyl wrap on mine.  Works wonders, nobody noticed they're not actually silver coated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kirk28 said:

Thanks torton; yeah there’s a place in japan that refurbishes them and replaces them with a H4 bulb but it costs like $400 each light and then you’ve got shipping etc etc and then the reflector needs doing; prob not worth trying to fix?? How much were your lights to be done? And what’s the name of the place that did them?

I didn't pay, the last owner did. IV posted up here the place and cost I think under resilvering headlamps. Don't remember off the top of my head but it was the only place

Edit, 400 a lamp is probably close to resilvering em here

• Like 1