kws

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Belong to new page.

Anyway,

The other interesting fact, is that there is no oil in the hose from either the  plenum to the tee, or the hose from the tee to the FPR, or for that matter, in the Tee itself. Only oil in the MAP line. I had a think about this, and suspect the oil has been in there for longer than I have had the car, as when i first got it, the MAP vacuum hose was on its own nipple in the plenum (someone had drilled it out to add a new nipple); when i swapped plenums when i first got the car, the replacement only had the standard single outlet for the FPR, so i teed off and connected the MAP to that Tee (the same as i did when i converted Effie to Speeduino). Thus, i can conclude, that the oil had been in the hose for ages and it isnt new. Its only either gotten thicker and started causing issues now, or had congregated somewhere in the hose and blocked it.

Further to the last couple of posts, driving Tess I still noticed a small hesitation coming on throttle. It was a lot better, but still there. The next logical step was to remove the ECU and inspect the MAP sensor, and see if there was oil in it. Sure enough, upon inspection, there was indeed oil in the MAP sensor. Lame.

I tried soaking it out with brake clean, and sucking it out with a syringe, but still couldnt clear it. The trick was to turn the ECU upside down, and gently heat the MAP sensor up so the oil would thin out, and then gravity just drained it out drip by drip. I cleaned up some surface rust on the ECU bracket, gave it a quick shot of paint and reinstalled.

Testing confirms the issue appears sorted, with no hesitation coming off and on throttle. The throttle response is now snappy and the slight rich mixture it had when coming on throttle is much lessened.

Great success. Now to start my new job so I can afford to fuel the beast again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well the time finally came, Tess is now with her new owner.

I know I have been quiet for the past month or so, but funnily enough, I had been driving Tess a lot recently and she had been completely solid and reliable, so there wasn't a lot actually going on. I have also recently started a new job, so been flat out working.

Tess had been advertised for sale for about a month, with a lot of interest, and two people claiming to be "getting the money together" to buy her (and one of them even viewing the car and loving her). Recently a third interested party contacted me, offering to swap his boat for Tess. Unfortunately I have no use for a boat (or anything to even tow it) so declined the offer.

Instead, he chose to list and sell the boat, which happened fast, and that freed up the cash to enable him to purchased Tess. It all happened very quickly, and Tess ended up on a trailer to her new owner up in Auckland, yesterday.
IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

She certainly got some looks from passersby, and it's easy to see why. Stunning.

Brent from Classic Towing (big thanks to him for taking good care of her, again) was the lucky fellow that got to transport her again, so it was a familiar sight, albeit, just a bit different.
 DSC01374.jpg

She didn't need blocks to help her clear the ramps, and she started and drove on easily (unlike last time, where she just didn't want to start).

Unfortunately it sounds like she had some teething issues with the new owner, who had her delivered this morning, but I'm sure she will pull herself together and play nice soon.

So that is Tess. Its been a wild ride, and I have sunken a lot of time and some money (just shy of $3000 in parts)into her, but she should be a good sorted example now. I'll miss the noise, and her stunning looks.

I will have some parts available for sale once I sort through my spares, so keep an eye on the SD1 Facebook page in the next couple of weeks.

In other news, Snicket was dropped off at VTNZ yesterday for its re-registration inspection, but I'm still waiting to see how that goes. They're really dragging their feet, for what should be a quick and simple process. It's almost like someone who books in and pays a couple of hundred dollars, doesn't get priority...
IMG_2164.jpg

I also have a flight booked for Monday, to pick the new car up from Hamilton and drive it back, so keep an eye out for that one. I'll be posting that trip on Instagram as I hoon down the Island, with a post to follow.

I leave you with a couple of videos of Tess I took for the new owner

Good bye Tess, please be good for your new owner.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5