Tauranga/Mt Maunganui Small Bike Ride: Sunday December 10th

Mop Head

Save the date! 50km + loop. Small bikes only! 250cc + under.

Second annual Mt Maunganui ride! 

After the roaring success of this ride last year in December, it’s happening again soon! @Shakotom, @GuyWithAviators and I are hosting this wicked jaunt in paradise. This is an awesome day on awesome bikes in an epic part of the country. There was an even split of locals and out of towners last time, with an even bigger turn out expected this year. 

Day after oldschool.co.nz Drag Day @ Meremere. Make a weekend of it!

A decent jaunt around the Tauranga, Mt Maunganui and Papamoa areas. Starting from the Av Gas Cafe/Classic Flyers car park in Mt Maunganui with the route still to be finalised. 

This is for small bikes only! Speed limit will strictly be around 50kph, sometimes zooming up to 60 when get a tail wind, this is to cater for the slower and older bikes in the group. 

Safety is paramount, so just make sure you've got your wits about you, Helmet, current rego etc etc. 

The ride will head down Tauranga, mount Maunganui and out to Papamoa, lasting a few hours at least including a stop at the beach, location yet to be finalised. 

Newer small bikes are most welcome, older are preferred. CC ratings will be capped at 250, otherwise the charm is lost for the smaller capacity crew. (If you have something bigger but wanna hang then it’s sweet tbh, just ride behind the pack, slow bikes go first; this line is used when advertising on local groups to dissuade the Harley crews etc). 

Spread the word, any question, just ask! The more the merrier of course.

E1552C4A-9591-4FF8-B293-12AB6952A9F1.jpeg

• Like 2

Just a reminder of what this place looks like.

Heres ‘The mount’ taken from Mauao:

g9uGeWA.jpg

We’re gonna try ride over this if your bikes aren’t wide rides:

mfFPKc7.jpg

Pretty mean Kaimoana here:

MZMpA03.jpg

We have so many places with so many beers: 

YjjzjsE.jpg

Come and play. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2017 at 09:44, Thphantum said:

I have land at Tauriko (lots of room for activities) and would be open to hosting a dirt day if anyone is keen? Register interest by reacting to this post and I will attend the Tga/Mmn ride to meet, greet, and discuss potential rural shennanigrins

Yes please! Had plenty of ideas brewing for a long time. I look forward to meeting you. 

Mount Ride official route! 

See the map below. 

Meeting at Classic Flyers from 9.30am, rain hail or shine. Some may remember the field beside the car park they left their trailers on at last years ride, that’s now been developed. Bunnings is right next door, and has a massive car park. Or there is gonna be enough people to look after your bikes if you wanna go find somewhere a couple of kms away and drop them off etc. 

This ride is in a busy area of NZ, there will be heaps of pedestrians down main Mt Maunganui and possibly in Tauranga. The speed limit actually drops right down to 30kph when you’re right down near the main shops. Otherwise is 50 a majority of the way. There are 80km zones over the harbour bridge, bikes and scooters are allowed over here and use it every day. We will need to all stay together over the bridge and in the very left hand lane each time. Even if your bike can go faster, group riding is essential over here. There is another place you can let loose, I’ll explain more on the day. 

Bikes need to be legal. We’ve never been pulled over and we wanna keep it that way. If we are then it’s on you if you have anything out of place. The moped rules are in the pinned post of the page so check them if you aren’t sure. 

The ride is 60km long. It will take a few hours. There are a few places along the way to grab a pie and a few fuel stops too if you’re riding something thirsty. Even if it’s a cloudy/wet day, wear sun block. You’ll get toasted otherwise. 

We’ll finish down at Rising Tide bar/dumpling house, which is literally 2 intersections away from where the ride starts. Feel free to stop there with the rest of us. 

Safety is key! Don’t be that guy in Jandals, a singlet and stubbies. You’ll be turned away. Try not to ride anymore than 2 wide.

Any questions? Message me directly. At this stage I’m not sure if I’m riding or I’m 2 up. 

*P.S: if the weather is mint there is a mean bridge to do some sweet mangere’s off. Maybe bring a beer crate with a towel. 

See you there!

664525A0-752A-4C8C-B13D-E47361E2A462.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 21:25, MopedNZ said:

THIS WEEKEND. 

Found a mean as broken collar bone friendly bike too. 

Might even 2 up the lady.

What are you people riding? 

A2BC0F2A-A941-49C9-BAEA-155AC5C9962F.jpeg

Below Average Photography by : @Shakotom

I will be scooterless but will still come over to meet and catch up. Look out for a black car with green flames on the front, thats me.

• Like 3