Brock05’s 83 VH GROUP 3

66gt

2 minutes ago, 66gt said:

A rare car and worth fixing properly. If you can't weld and fabricate the patches I'd give Greg a call at R3 Fabricators 

I'm an engineer by trade so welding etc isn't a problem for me but I'll write his details down in case I get stuck with anything. cheers.

Cut the bits out section by section small tacks then cool with the air gun that will dramatically reduce the warping and small sections make it easier to fabricate at home the 3 tools I use the most are all air powered 3inch cut of blade its that thin that if I have to cut past where the patch will be its easy to weld up the cut , 20mm belt sander with 60 grit belt for cleaning up rusty steel removing paint around the weld and grinding up the weld it doesn't chew up good steel as much as a disc grinder and more like a scalpel than a machete and a small rotary burr to get in to the small radius that the belt sander won't get in to 

Patch more than just the obvious rusty bit as it will have crept along the seam 

When you clean up the rest of the screen area if you see small rust spots its more than likely just starting to come through from the inside get the burr and remove it if you go through so be it just patch it or a years time it will break out and piss you off 

I have done dozens of them mostly jap cars 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 1963 AP5 said:

That's an amazing car you have there, I understand that the group 3 cars are quite rare.

Australian Muscle Car Magazine did a full feature on a similar car (issue 89)

IMG_20171108_205036.jpg.6482b0a027abff24176e9a3cb95b43fa.jpg

If you are interested I will scan the full article for you

cheers, that car looks familiar, my old man might have that magazine i think. Yeah there quite rare not to sure how many are still around need to find a way to look up how many are registered. 

• 2 weeks later...