dirty ho bikes

shizzl

Pulled the back end off both bikes to replace the rotors and pads...greased the axles and bearing/seals etc..

New pads in the front and replaced the caliper on the 85...yay for brakes...

Actually washed the 250 and got alot of sand of it..regreased the front axle aswell.

Need to hit it with a water blaster to get the cakes on grime off it..

Rotors should be here today hopefully.

20180130_110821.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

notice the colour difference in both engines???? will spray a ton of mag wheel cleaner on the 250 and see if it cleans up a bit better..

I didnt put alot of effort into making it look pretty while it was stripped down...probably shouldve.. but I wasnt sure if she would work or not...

Winter project would be to pull the swing arm and linkages off both bikes and rebuild them, sandblast and powdercoat the frames, replace all wheel bearings and tyres..

rebuild the shocks.... add some graphics..

If you can get a Pivot Works bearing kit for the linkages they come with a life time grantee, so much nicer than the cheep ones,  most people destroy every bearing in the bike with a waterblaster, 

Its nice when people have greased the axles, :)

when I took the rear axle out of the 250 it was full of sand....both side seals are toast..

will replace the rear bearings and seals asap..

also the air filter is manky as and has no grease at all on the seal face.. muppets

The wheels bearings work out cheaper by cross referencing them at a bearing shop, same with the seals..

the pivots can wait till winter though

• Like 1

Puuuurdy pipe on the 250...

This thing hauls, I don' even get 1/4 throttle before I hit the bail out button..

It goes so good...

I gave the pipe a bit of autosol treatment..pitts the first 1/3 of it is rusted up a bit much to restore..

I found the most of the bogging issue with the 85... there was no tension on the powervalve at all... so I gave it a full turn.. and now she rips it.... I swapped the Jets back over and leaned out the top end 1 clip position... so much better and the bottom end throttle response is 10x better... just has a slight mid bog still...Will work on that soon

20180205_111144.jpg

• Like 1

Gave the pipe another hit of autosol and minimal elbow grease..came up so good..even the muffler on the 85 polished up good.

Even regreased the kick starter..

The 250 would be a million times better with fresh plastics..

Might even get the fork uppers and rims painted...not sure what colour though..

20180206_120157.jpg

20180206_115858.jpg

20180206_120118.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So i sold the RM250 last month which free'd up some cash, which quickly got spent on a hillman hunter :D 

then I saw a post on FB for a JR80 that wasnt running, arranged to go check it out this morning..

this afternoon im cleaning it in preparation for inspection/diagnostics.. why do I keep doing this? haha

The RM85 is still in y mates storage unit, waiting to go back together and to be tuned.

it stopped running one day, and wasnt getting fuel, so I took the tank off and stripped the petcock... it was blocked with a sludgy dirty plug of some sort..

blew it out and reassembled it..flows nice now.. not sure how that couldve happened as it has a pre filter on it..mustve been dirty fuel??

Ordered parts yesterday, all arrived today...

Finally got myself a flywheel puller.

Went with a 50mm piston kit, just need to drop the barrel and piston off to get a re-bore to match the piston

20180511_114335.jpg

You can see in this photo that the spacer on the output shaft is locked solid by that magical natures rust weld...

So I've got the cases split, but have had to leave half of the transmission behind .

It's in good condition internally which is nice..all bearings run smoothly as silk too.

Tomorrow I will clean it all up and rebuild the bottom end. 

And find someone in akl who can bore the barrel from 49mm to 50mm.

I'l also clean the carb, filter, and service the brakes, bearings and pivots..

And swap out the disgusting grips for the new colour matched ones.

20180510_121117.jpg

• Like 1

rebuilt the bottom end today...

just need to find a suitable outfit that can bore out the barrel for me...

the kickstart shaft has been mega butchered, the shaft had been ground smooth, and the kick starter tack welded to the shaft...

when I picked it up the spot welds had failed...bonus.. there was no spline left on either surface..

I priced up a new kick start shaft and start lever...nah uh, not at $350 for both thanks...

so I drilled right through the kick lever and through the shaft..now itll be held on with an M6 bolt!!! way stronger now cuz

• Like 1

got the barrel back today..barrel bored 40tho over..

pieced it back together, slapped it in the bike..

gave it about 3 kicks if that, and she fired up, idles really crisp...

so shes officially alive again... need to give it another 2 heat cycles before the weekend, then the mrs can go have a play on it..

then the RM85 will make its way home for a bit of love...im guessing it has a leaking crank seal which is causing it to run shithouse..