dirty ho bikes

shizzl

Sooooooo I may have had a brain fart and bought a 96 RM250 with a damaged clutch hub and gearbox issues..

And finding reasonably priced parts is impossible...

Im banking on replacing all the bearings inside the engine, seals, gaskets, o rings, piston and rings if theyr out of spec..

Its definitely one angry sounding mofo..

Not sure if ill keep it and rebuild it or just flick it as a project... depends if I can get hold of another clutch sleeve hub for a good price, and not have to replace any gears in it..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also a bike mech but only worked on pre 08 honda trx quads..

been a few years since i opened anything up.. will probably get as far as tear down and inspection before flicking it off haha..

plan is to either rebuild it, have a couple of rides then sell it/swap it for a new mtb...or to fund an overseas race next year (hopefully Japan)

pulled the top end off it today, barrel and piston are in mint cond...hardly had any use on this build by the looks...

although on closer inspection the clutch basket is pretty damn worn out...

the frame has no rust on it at all, which is good..

the swing arm pivot bolt assembly has no grease at all, which is not good...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

no news on this, except that the gasket kit I had ordered and paid for has been lost by some dopey arse courier driver, and they dont want to know anything about it..

it was on a tracked signature delivery...it is showing as being delivered....TO WHO!! i didnt sign for it and I was at the address at the time of delivery that was stated.

bloody hopeless immigrant courier drivers in Auckland..

Constantly have stuff dropped at the wrong address, and they dont even care where they drop it or who signs for stuff..

• 2 weeks later...

so the good buggers at southern suzuki sent me a new kit..

slapped the bitch back together... now I need to sort the missing oil drain plug...it was lost along muriwai somewhere..

ordered a new one from colemans... nope, wrong size...wtf..

a bit of google says the correct size should be m12x1.25 pitch

a quick measure of the hole, nope 14mm...im thinking its been stripped to hell and theyv just drilled it bigger and tapped it..probably why it came lose and went awol.

they shouldve helicoiled it or better yet welded the hole up drilled and retapped it..

so now im looking for an M14 sump plug...didnt even look at the thread, but I do have an M14x1.5 bolt to try in there on monday...

other than that I just need to dump some oil in it, chuck in the fuel, add a radiator cap and shes good for a kick in the guts..

if the gearbox works as it should, I then need to replace the rear brake disc and pads...youll see why in a pic ill chuck up soon..

holy friggin shit sticks!! 

Didnt want to spend any more pingas on this until I can confirm that the gearbox etc all works tickety boo, so I 

jammed a m14x1.5 bolt into the semi stripped thread toady, and topped her up with oil, chucked in some bang juice and kicked it in the guts..

fired up, sounds like a demon on a leash.. got it warmish then tapped it into first, gassed it up and she rocketed off...

fuck me this thing is quick!!! and lose as a hamilton uni girl... any percentage of throttle gets the rear end out past the front..

managed to get into 2nd, but its so damn quick I run out of room on the drive..

so i parked it up as a "heat cycle", will test it again tomorrow after checking that all the oil hasnt escaped the temporary drain plug...

this lot of fuel is at 32:1 ratio.. will cut it back after this 1L is finished..

next step is to helicoil the drain hole and then replace the insanely bastardised brake disc and pads (see above pic).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So this is what happens when you sniff too much 2 stroke fumes...

Got the mrs a rm85 small wheel..

It' running mega rich at the moment and have already moved the clip up to the top on the needle, has got it to run ok but she' still way too rich on the mid range.. has factory jets too.

Needs a piston in the front caliper and pads front and back..

Still looking for someone to do a recoil/timesert on the 250 so I can go and feed it some

20180107_130009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so today we some success..

I got a spark plug thread repair kit from Repco for $34 or something, came with 4 different sized inserts..

the issue I had was the depth was limited by the shift drum...so I cut the tap down so that it just had enough to bite..

made a new thread, insert started to thread in....mint..

then I realised the thread pitch was 1.25 so off i went to every bolt shop on the shore...nope no luck...

then on came the light bulb.... my mate had just changed the plugs in his car, so I stole the old one... smashed off the porcelain end, and cut the electrode off so the thread length matched the desired length... I then filled each end with some JB weld... wound the insert onto the sparkplug (now oil drain plug), then wound it all into the case with a bit of locktite on the insert..

nipped the bitch up, the backed the "oil drain plug" out....righted the bike and flushed the trans with ATF a couple of times and got out all the ali shavings from the thread tool..

put the oil drain plug back in, topped it up with oil... no leak, an hour later, no leak!!! Hooray!!!!

so to celebrate I fired it up, and hooned it around the paddocks, my mate jumped on while I got the 85 out,and hooned that around with no front brakes...

both bikes run bloody great,power bands are both insane, I had the front of the 85 so far up in the air i thought I was gonna take off..

SO MUCH FUN!!!

So have just ordered a complete caliper for the  85 instead of rekitting it... then ill order in new rear discs and pads for both bikes.. I also took a link out of the chain on the 250 and adjusted it...much better....also need a bottom chain guide roller....

FIST PUMP!!!

• Like 1

From what I can see in the photos looks like you have a Boyesen reed block?, they sometimes need a drop in jet size from stock to make them run right, it will go nicely with that Prociruit pipe, no wonder its fast, it is probley over 50 HP or so at the crank.

PS don't cut the oil mixture down, the factory made it like that,  even if the oil bottle says you can run 50:1

No pic update-

Just ordered new rear discs for both bikes..

will also put on new pads front and back..

got a used caliper for the 85 sent up from Brown Bros...massive plug for them, paid for it at 4pm yesterday, it turned up before lunch today...outstanding!!!

Ive also pulled off all of the wheels on both bikes..will give them a clean and re-grease the bearings etc..all axles are yukasfuk, yup no grease found..id like to strip the suspension pivots too for a re-grease but I dont want it to turn to custard yet.

the 250 had sand everywhere, will degrease and clean both bikes and spray them up with alloy wheel cleaner for some shiny shiny time..

the plan is to have both of these ready to ride at Thundercross valley next weekend, which will be the big unveil to the mrs...

aka...look at these bikes, yes theyr ours, oops... you got it, she doesnt know they exist yet.

• Like 2