The Barter Barber 1971 Bedford discussion

TheBarterBarber

So many options for a Beddy van. Just about anything you do will make it go faster and fair number of options will make it use less juice.

Back in the day a Holden 6 was the go if you wanted cheap and reliable, and Chev V8 for fast and reliable. PC Cresta diff head to get the gearing up and later model bedford brakes to make it stop. 

Today I would be going for something like a commodore V6 and auto or a diesel option. 

Cool van.

• Like 1

LSA Chev, Auto, 9" 4 wheel discs. AP Racing brakes, air ride, yeah right lol. There must be a few of those gearboxes lying around. If the engine is ok I'd hit up someone like the Gearbox Factory and see if they will fix it for haircuts all round and some signage on the van as support for a great cause.

Holden straight 6 202 or 186 is definitely the go for "easiest" option. But by easiest I mean weekend after weekend of hard graft to get it done tidy. Trust me. To keep rolling on this summer just get a gear box mate! 

Those 4 speed zf gearboxes are notorious for looseing there syncros in them. Contact the guy next door to pick a part Avondale on the left hand side he's closest building to the motorway he knows his Bedfords and may have a gear box hanging around. 

• Like 1

I don't think alot of people realise the engine bays are different between UK made slant 4 engine c.f. Bedford and ozzy made straight 6 c.f. bedfords so a quick "Chuck another motor in it barry" doesn't work as easy. Plus gear box mount plus engine mounts plus driveshaft plus etc plus etc 

• Like 1

Do i recall a barra powered bedford or transit van popping up on one of  @yoeddynz's project discussion? Or maybe it was a dream I had.

Realistically any repower is going to be costly to do properly, ideally finding some form sponsorship for a much less shit tow machine would be my suggestion.. 10,000ks in a clapped out bedford van sounds terrible!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't really add much to the gearbox discussion, but just wanted to commend you on such an admirable idea. Have lost friends to depression/suicide in the past, seems to be one of those issues that often doesn't come to light until it's too late - this sort of exposure is great. Best of luck to you. 

• Like 3

If you're in AK at the moment and plan to be for a while, but if you could get the gear box up here sure a few of us could be rounded up to help get it in. Dunno if that hightop would get in my shed, but most of the tools are there and a hardstand. Happy to host.

Then at least you're more mobile in the interim, right.

• Like 1

That sounds awesome! I’m going to see if I can get the gearbox to Tauranga, then I can drive it up to Auckland and see if we can get a few guys together, I’ll chuck on a spred and give some haircuts! Are there any other parts I should find at the same time?

Thanks everyone that’s giving advice and kind words, this is defiantly a awesome community!

• Like 2

other than the gearbag, is the engine tiptop? 

To wring as much as you can from the small 4 pot staying on top of general maintenance having new points/plugs/dizzy cap/leads oil and filters (esp air) as well as timing and carb tuned could help?

Dodgy wiring, janky fuel lines  and etc is often an overlooked issue in older stuff with plenty of previous owners and roadside fixes and could make a big difference.

A 1hp improvement by loosing a slight misfire when you only have 50hp on a good day is a 2% improvement !

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, azzurro said:

other than the gearbag, is the engine tiptop? 

To wring as much as you can from the small 4 pot staying on top of general maintenance having new points/plugs/dizzy cap/leads oil and filters (esp air) as well as timing and carb tuned could help?

Dodgy wiring, janky fuel lines  and etc is often an overlooked issue in older stuff with plenty of previous owners and roadside fixes and could make a big difference.

A 1hp improvement by loosing a slight misfire when you only have 50hp on a good day is a 2% improvement !

Yeah did the plugs and points, have some serious esaust leaks so going to try do that as well, it’s pretty well buggered . Always has clean oil as the oil leaks and I top it up each time I put in petrol!  The air box thing has a wee oil resivour in it too that I try keep as clean as possible. I could buy a clutch kit realitivly easy?

Thanks so much for the reply!

This is such a great project you have set yourself, your attitude seems to fit so well with the Old School way of thinking as well - you certainly came to the right place.

I also like the QCR shirt on the bloke at 14:20.

All the best for your work

• Like 4