d.p.n.s mk3 discussion

d.p.n.s

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/10/2019 at 16:02, d.p.n.s said:

to be honest mate no the tank is a factory reproduction of a 65-69 mustang so no baffling at all...

its a bit different to most cars ive build in that i normal build something a want to race/track day /hill climb  ..and i would use surge tanks and baffled tanks but this car wont do any of that.

even ford Australia described the 6 cylinder cortina as a lead tipped arrow that was fast in a straight line and wouldn't go around a corner.....so  with that i believe the factory ba turbo intank pump with small surge capacity will do the job for me...and i wanted ease of parts

you might want to go baffled and intank ....at least the wagon has a underbody tank like the van? and not the side tank like sedans......i think

Yeah I'm thinking the tank will make it fairly simple. Current plan is to decide on a late model in tank pump and emulate the baffles/shape of the tank it comes out of. Still a bit down the track though.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 04/04/2020 at 11:42, Ulricht said:

Nice work bro, wish I had the work space and tools etc to work like this. :(

Space is awesome...I did build an esvort van in a single car garage that you had to move to one wall to get down one side......so this is nice now.

And I just have the basic tools man....still bend most things over my bench. Lol

• Like 1

Wouldn't putting a vent in the back of the bonnet actually push air into the engine bay? Since there is a high pressure area in front of the screen. That's why even when you heater fan isn't going, at speed, air still comes out if the vents

• Like 1

Just now, JustHarry said:

Wouldn't putting a vent in the back of the bonnet actually push air into the engine bay? Since there is a high pressure area in front of the screen. That's why even when you heater fan isn't going, at speed, air still comes out if the vents

Good point... 

Not a 100% sure on the vents in the bonnet...bug was 100% sure about removing them from the bottom of the screen.

Will think about it tho

On 13/04/2020 at 20:45, JustHarry said:

That's what I imagine, but then what about the reverse cowl.. 

u8edyjy7.jpg.5930132eea3ab68f718d6cfc5633ffb3.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, yetchh said:

That's what I imagine, but then what about the reverse cowl.. 

u8edyjy7.jpg.5930132eea3ab68f718d6cfc5633ffb3.jpg

Those are for air intake purposes. 

Like a scoop but much cooler . And for functio are plumbed into the airclearr the way a normal scoop is

• Like 2

Mainly a top speed racing thing that's tilted down to street cars like most stuff has.

At mega speed a normal scoop is a massive drag. A reverse cowl like that is aerodynamic and gives good airflow to the engine via the high pressure area at the base of the screen

• Like 1

Yes reverse vowl has a purpose and work well at speed..

The small vents buy the wipers do get air pushing into them but it's not that much at road speed.....push those vents 6" further  away from the screen and the get less air...

My thinking is that the vents will help with engine bay temps (as my exhaust is high up by the bonnet)  and I'm thinking more about  road spend and sitting at lights/traffic  ( as there's only a few places in chch that you can get up to motorway speed..

I'm still sold on the idea and I'm thinking of other ways....but I've never had a cortina that didnt leak ..and I've spent way to long looking for leaks and thinking I've fixed it .....for it to leak again   . And that area is a rust trap so welding them up has been on my mind  since the beginning. 

I do have a small question regarding heaters if you guys have some thoughts...

Is it best to take air from outside ...or can be air be taking from inside ( like a recirculating)?

Just now, RUNAMUCK said:

I've seen the turbo Nissan crowd pack up their bonnet hinges with washers to allow hot air to escape the engine bay after it's been through the radiator.

yup did cross my mind.....even bending the rear off the bonnet up bit like a little bonnet spoiler     (trend setter)