SOHC's vintage lawn tractor

SOHC

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting oil round here, it could be coming down the head bolt hole from a bad head but it could be coming from a split bore on the right hand side between the valves and cylinder as its open in there to the other side.

The head bolt holes are open to the air on the bottom 3 fins down.

40685360_10156404016723819_2180387323735179264_n.jpg

Did i tell you how i can a car with stripped headbolts with compression coming out the rear of #4 cylinder?  'Oil' would drip out the back where it was losing compression but it went fine for years.  Finally fixed it properly.  You might find it runs well with that leak for a long time.

• Like 1

Well things are looking up, I took the head off tonight and I couldn't see any cracks but oil was coming down the bolt hole, after inspecting the head gasket I can see the problem, if you look at the wrinkles in the fire ring the gas was escaping through there and then down that little perforated hole and through the fiber and slowly boring the hole bigger and because that cylinder head bolt hole is open on the other end it was dripping out.

I need to find a less shitty new gasket,    

40796526_10156405174688819_6341740974590394368_n.jpg

• Like 4

Thinking of moving this on, I can sell with out this engine and chuck in a cople others that need work, one is a bigger 16 HP that needs the end of the crank drilled and tapped, has a good rod and piston, other engine is a 10 witch is identical to the 16 hp just with a smaller bore, and crank, this engine has a stuck exhaust valve I have a good used valve and a brand new rod.

I am getting another project and need the space,

7 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

@SOHC will you be selling the welder thing separate?

I took that off, I want to keep it, they are easy enough to make, get a BOSH alternator I think 100 to 150 amps and bypass the regulator, the negative is the earth and the + positive witch would go to the battery is to the electrode, the armature + runs through a switch to turn it off and on like the ignition use to.

• Like 2