SOHC's vintage lawn tractor

SOHC

I saw this thing and couldn't pass on it I have been after a lawn tractor for a wile, this thing is huge and heavy duty, it has a 14 HP Kohler motor and a 3 speed gearbox, mowing decks are long gone, the main problem it has been sitting for along time, brake had seized and the belt drive cover has rusted off as well as the cover over the chain to the gearbox, seat has rusted out and the foam has ferns growing out of it, front rims are shot.

tractor%202_zpsjsupyvx9.png

tractor_zpsda9eb6rm.png

If someone could help me find some front rims I would be happy, they are 8" and about 90mm wide they are 5 stud but I think I could weld in new centers to a good set of rims

I want to find an old tractor seat and cut the one off the reactor it has now, someone has welded it on so if anyone has anything like that I will take it off your hands.

There is an idler gear in the diff I think I can remove through the cover that needs a new bush only because I am fussy but other than that it seems ok.

• Like 5

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fixed the rust in the fan shroud, all the air would have escaped out this hole, I must say the last owner did do alot of rust preventive coatings on parts witch has helped it in the time it sat outside 

IMG_2937_zpsjjbkcqu1.jpg

This thing is the primary drive cover, it had fallen off from rust, I had to replace half the top and weld in a few patches, its very pitted.

IMG_2938_zpsdgnmqzyq.jpg

The cover witch covers the drive chain had all the mounting points rusted off, I still need to drill the holes.

IMG_2939_zpsisu9eerh.jpg

Belts are falling apart and so is the starter solenoid, the blue thing under the carb is the fuel pump witch i bed needs fixing and the little cover with the wire coming out of it to the left is the points cover, there seems to be no condenser, I gess its missing

IMG_2934_zpsbqgw0mez.jpg

I need to find x2 8" x 90ish front wheels, I think they sell them at bunnings but they are 4 stud, I could blitz the centers out and make new ones.

IMG_2935_zpselc7kb3j.jpg

• Like 3

When I pushed the tractor in neutral there was a scrapping rattling sound from the diff, for some reason there was heeps of side to side movement in that middle gear, I shimmed it with a hardened washer and now it dosnt scrape on the other gear so I would say thats good now.

IMG_2946_zpsdepc2ljl.jpg
IMG_2948_zpsf79fzb4e.jpg

The tin cover is bonded on with clacking compound, I have brazed in a bung so I can get lube into it easy, I am unsure what type tho  

• Like 2

Got a pair of new front rims coming, they are a 5 stud but I think its a wider spacing so I will need to weld the holes up and re drill them,

I have no idea what oil to put in the diff, I might just wack in some 80W, 

Also need points and condenser witch seem impossible to find in nz.

IMG_2950_zpsnk3xlpuw.jpg

After I got the tire off it was even worse, I got a pair of rims from the mower shop but they were wrong in every way apart from being 8" and its all I could find so I cut them up and made some new centers from 1/4" plate, took way longer than I thought, and they didn't fit in my lathe so I had to use the turn table to find the center to mark for cutting it with a hole saw.

IMG_2951_zpspdftmjfl.jpg

I arc welded the centers in as the rims had some galvanizing and its hard to remove it all, and painted them with PA10 as I do with everything, I think they look pretty tractorey,  

IMG_2949_zpsnuf2ivgi.jpg

After I got a MIG about 13 years ago I ditched my ARC but got this a few months ago for $60 and I like it very much, its easy to use unlike those shitty little ARC welders they sell for under $100 I just use the MIG on panel work

IMG_2952_zps57maq026.jpg

• Like 5

Front wheel bearings feel rough so I took the hubs off and there was water in there, bearings are shot but stubs are ok, they take a Holden style wheel bearing so a trailer wheelbearing kit will fix them.

I filled up the diff with oil and it pissed out the ends of the axles, (fuck) and wheel bearings feel loose, I hope if I undo those bolts on the side of the diff the LH axle should pull out of the diff center with its bearing and hub and all will be reveled on how to get the diff center and RH axle out.

also I cut all the crap the previous owner had welded to the rear around the tow bar, lots of 2" tube 

I used a connecting rod from a Kawasaki for the seat pivot mount but it flexed to I welded a Holden rod next to that, the two brackets on the LH side of the diff I will mount my DC arc welder

edit : I found an alloy box in my crap collection I will mount to those brackets.

Thanks, I might just fit a straight pipe and make a rain cap to save weight and money, the muffler on the tractor now is from an 1995 ford mondau so that can fuck right off.

I have been looking and looking but I can not find an ignition condenser or fuel pump rebuild kit  

• Like 1

I fitted a new chain witch was a cunt of a job as it was too tight or too lose so I modified the ajuster so it had more adjustment, also I have fitted new belts and greased every bearing, in the drive line, I also re fitted the guards witch I have repaired, I need to get a starter solenoid as someone tried to wind on a nut with a different thread and broke the top off, the carb needs to come off to check the tappets and I will rebuild it wile its off.

Riveted an old aluminum lunch box to those brackets on the LH side of the diff, spark plugs and shit can go in there or something, it makes it look less spindly,  and I cut off the mounts for the main side mowers as this had triple gang mowers, 

IMG_2985_zpsspjuyysp.jpg
IMG_2986_zpsxfffqlca.jpg
IMG_2984_zpsgb2koecu.jpg  

• Like 6