RotaNate

So to start off I didn’t make the Raglan ride :( my babysitter fell through and I had no back up! Buuuut time to focus on the next big ride....Tauranga :-D

So tried starting her up with that pipe on and no go. Kicked and kicked and kicked but it would splutter and spit flames and die. After a bit of thinking I loosened off the exhaust and boom started up first kick! Conclusion....The pipe was too restrictive. In the rush of trying to get the FA ready for the Raglan ride I just cut the pipe off and welded the factory exhaust back on where ever it sat at the time of welding it (which to be honest I kind of like!)

KqtINZe.jpg

Now after riding it around my local area for a bit I decided with the timeline I’ve got for the Tauranga ride I will strip her down and tidy her up. So the tear down began tonight...

fr3BR9c.jpg

fzaYRW2.jpg

Motor separated from the frame. After spending most my teenage years working on cars it’s quite refreshing how quickly you can take one of these apart!

96wWFOQ.jpg

I also did the final design on how my under seat wiring cover will work...

wz7F144.jpg

So I will make it out of sheet metal from my template  I’ll cut it in half and weld the top half (the half closest to the seat hinge) in and for the second half I will put it on a hinge so that the electronics will still be accessible and this will also allow me to remove the fuel tank when necessary.

Next on the list will be to give the motor a good degreasing. I will also blank off the old oil pump too as I will be running premix so won’t need it

14dPkBM.jpg

I’ll also give the frame a good degrease and waterblast then plan out the next step.

ZhnMyoU.jpg

• Like 2

On 02/11/2017 at 13:00, Shakotom said:

Sweet exhaust! But I hope you realise the second the suspension flexes you’ll snap the exhaust mount off of the carrier or tear the studs out of the exhaust

engine pivots seperatly to the frame. I’d look at making a mount off the pipe that mounts back to the motor as per shit drawing.

9BFB06D9-ED17-4779-8A9F-267DCFB62A04.jpeg.47b8617a42a3c0f8cc6ed8d703e13f20.jpeg

and then possibly using a spring or something to tension exhaust back to frame in place of your current mount to save the exhaust viabrating its self loose as the expansion chamber on my FA50 did the whole ride at raglan on the weekend

Yeah I noticed that once I sat on it! Lol I was planning on adding a bracket on after I got it running. I had cut the factory one off the stock exhaust and was going to weld that on but glad to see you guys are watching carefully in case I miss something haha

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got around to cleaning up the frame :-D

First step was get some degreaser on the years of shit that is caked on there!

3WozkmP.jpg

suPfla9.jpg

yXCiKXt.jpg

di5xZVT.jpg

KUyimNt.jpg

The degreaser didn’t quite get everything off so I went to my back up of some foam wash my brother in law had.

CSyxDlv.jpg

Sprayed it on and left it for a few minites and with a quick waterblast it came up as good as it could could do (I will get a pic tomorrow as it got too dark to get a good one). 

Next up clean up the motor :badgrin:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE FINALLY

I have been pretty busy this week so havnt really touched the FA50 in a while...I do finally have those picks of her all cleaned up though!

mMys1Tf.jpg

gkPZijB.jpg

dvBjKwu.jpg

ZT1oeZl.jpg

All I’m waiting for now is my sheet metal to turn up so I can get onto welding up my under seat electronics cover :cry:

On the positive side though a few weeks back I ordered a NOS intake elbow! I was sick of the random one I had on there that I was just making work. So when that arrives I will get a new filter to suit and go from there. What else....

I finished welding up my exhaust too, so while I’m waiting on the elbow to arrive I’ll start tidying up the motor a bit and go from there.

• Like 1

I’m like 90% sure this is my old piece of shit, 

history behind it: was used as our farm hack for ages hence its a bit fucked, and i think the fronts bent? Then i drove it to the ferry and back till it died on me, thought i’d buggered the rings but looks like it was just spark? 

I sold an fz with it too so i wonder if thats the engine your mate got. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chees- said:

I’m like 90% sure this is my old piece of shit, 

history behind it: was used as our farm hack for ages hence its a bit fucked, and i think the fronts bent? Then i drove it to the ferry and back till it died on me, thought i’d buggered the rings but looks like it was just spark? 

I sold an fz with it too so i wonder if thats the engine your mate got. 

Yeah mate that’s the one! That farm hack story sounds familiar too so must be your old one!

Yeah it was just spark. Had to do a bit of re wiring and a new plug and she ran. Did a compression test on it not so long ago too and it was at about 100PSI

• 1 month later...

UPDATE FINALLY

I have been pretty busy this week so havnt really touched the FA50 in a while...I do finally have those picks of her all cleaned up though!

mMys1Tf.jpg

gkPZijB.jpg

dvBjKwu.jpg

ZT1oeZl.jpg

All I’m waiting for now is my sheet metal to turn up so I can get onto welding up my under seat electronics cover :cry:

On the positive side though a few weeks back I ordered a NOS intake elbow! I was sick of the random one I had on there that I was just making work. So when that arrives I will get a new filter to suit and go from there. What else....

I finished welding up my exhaust too, so while I’m waiting on the elbow to arrive I’ll start tidying up the motor a bit and go from there.

2018 and back at it! And this year I’m going to make a bit more time for this. It won’t be for a few months as I over spent over New Years and need to catch up :cry:

I did manage to finally finish my under seat electronics cover though!

Dv2vnhq.jpg

6mj5QOD.jpg

I had to tidy up the edges but got it fitting snug

BnrvNxK.jpg

Feels good to be back with my welder!

YDYmAu8.jpg

R65u0Je.jpg

Welds aren’t that great looking (I really need to get some gas) but it does the trick.

Also over the break my genuine filter elbow finally turned up! :-D

DB8jWRb.jpg

Looks a shit load better than that shitty thing I had on before!

2PAVrfi.jpg

kzs2QoO.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Only update I have of recent :cry: . Been stuck at work and havnt had time (like I said I would make) to do anything, so I had a tiny bit of time last night so cracked into a few small tidy up jobs :-D

rTuLgkA.jpg

To stop rust I gave the plate I welded in a lick of paint! Also while I was there I mounted my ignition barrel in the hole where the oil level gauge would normally sit. Other than that, all I have really done is bolt the motor back up to the frame.

I think next on the list will be making a tidy loom to stash under that plate, wire it all in and ride :badgrin: