piazzanoob's 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 seeeedaaan

piazzanoob

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so as i noted early on that i had given scott some extra coin to get parts for the car.

well that was like Christmas all over again.

and at that stage i had made a few rockAuto orders for some of my other cars too along with @chris r putting a fuel tank in for his CRX.

IMG_1445_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.cc894394975d0dbc9263439f5f51f94d.jpg

Had also chucked in a few items just for the ride home incase a break down.

so i guess you were expecting a whole bigger load of parts other than this right?

well all scott had purchased for the car in terms of parts was

Cap N Rotor

Ignition Leads

Spark plugs

Fuel filter.

bit slack right

was more bummed i never received any cherry bomb mufflers.

so i sent a friendly message out to scott mentioning about the lack of parts purchased.

well turns out a whole bunch of parts that were purchased for the car had been stolen out of it shortly after their being a monsoon blowing the cover off the car. And this being done while the car was still being stored in phoenix in a secure storage facility but due to the vehicle not being able to be locked anyone had access inside of the vehicle.

which sucks as all of the parts were needed for the car but now need to be sourced within nz as i have hopes of it being wof'd and rego'd before the end of the year maybe not now.

although camera footage has been seen of the parts being stolen from 200 meters away but that was three months ago. plus scott offered to pay for the parts and half the freight cost which is a bonus but dont think it would be worth while bothering getting the parts from the US when i include the exchange rate and import tax on the parts.

but another rockauto order will need to be done for some bits as some items don't include a big freight bill to nz.     

• Like 3

so seen as it was a long weekend last weekend 

@chris r come round on the monday and gave me a hand with the wiring side of things

dam american's and there twist and tape method or just don't plug it in or run a wire.

got some new wire for the battery leads and new terminals too help with starting.

59f5c1bd58b9f_IMG_1476_Easy-Resize.com(1).jpg.7b26f038a7acda0ad61362f488b8145d.jpg

so out with this hori wiring

IMG_1478_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.e31659b38cddeea88c62948d853f73ec.jpg

so now has nice new cables running from the starter and earth leads along with some new battery terminals 

IMG_1463_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.c6c7d00e0bc433f498dc2ff595e17fb1.jpg

so heres a photo of the ol 390fe big block she's running.

and if you look not very close you can see how shit the battery leads were along with all the other wiring witch needs a good tidy up.

• Like 6

also took the ol girl out of the shed before disassembly of the brakes.

59f5c48c974db_IMG_1470_Easy-Resize.com(1).jpg.f81a87feb972bdb98d8867aab5ebd42e.jpg

gave the cooling system a good flush out with the hose.

also didn't realize at the time that it also had a tap on the block to drain out of.

but have added some coolant into the system and will run that for abit then give it another flush out.

but more importantly i need to get the temp and fuel gauge going.

so have ran a wire to the temp sensor as it had nothing.

and just need to wait for my dash cluster voltage regulator to arrive to also help with the non working gauges 

• Like 3

Alot of the exhaust on this car was currently being held up with a bit of wire in multiple places

IMG_1511_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.a5f7eb423f14a54587797b78f02a9a44.jpg

IMG_1512_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.15b4af2a0785e8896d18a34daa6e6910.jpg

along with it rubbing on the leaf springs and rear shocks

IMG_1535_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.6b97a2d78bc0387e492f9ad109f6603f.jpg

along with this mount and many of the other rubber belt mounts that had broken or snapped.

I cut them or modified them to suit again other than needing some bolts so have really just hori up what it already had as eventually it will get a full need exhaust system done but that can be done after compliance.  

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

So the parts for the brakes ended up taking just over a week to get sorted.

ended up getting the brake hoses and spring kit from http://www.northwesternford.co.nz/ who just deals in old ford stuff.

pricing also seems to be reasonable rate. which is a bonus

And the wheel cylinders and shoes got sourced from sterling clutch and brake.

also the car came with two new brake drums so they ended up on the front while the best two of the old four went onto the rear. although they are all way worn out past there service limit.

IMG_1596_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.a582bada31784aeafd4cbcba7f4b4d04.jpg

also removed all the brake assemblies off all the wheels and gave all the brake parts and backing plates a good scrub down.

IMG_1588_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.8412fb3a4862c5283dc5f97e005c1358.jpg

then fitted the front with new shoes and wheel cylinders and a couple of new springs.

IMG_1601_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.19725b08422f927911c0f1aa43d45416.jpg

also put on the new front brake hoses and pumped through some of the old brake fluid through to the back.IMG_1606_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.a9b53f7fc3a83f60e6d5f2003d273ce3.jpg

man that brake fluid was dirty.

then put on the new rear brake hose and gave the brake system a bleed 

And ended up having to teach my mum the brake bleeding procedure which slowed the process down abit.

then took the car off the stands to give the brakes a good bed in.

Drive went okay apart from a grinding noise under braking on the R/F.

So up on stands again with the wheels off to diagnose that.

And some smart person in america decided they would put the wrong size brake adjuster on the car which let it to grind a mark in my new drums.

IMG_1659_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.d5abe142cf13cd25e20ad1d4f02a80e7.jpg

This is the L/h one which was the one i needed.

IMG_1660_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.79bf75346f44166a0c1cd6063e06e828.jpg

IMG_1661_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.04164a1acbb8a97129443413a1847807.jpg

And this one was one that i had ordered from http://www.northwesternford.co.nz/ but is the same size as the one on the R/F thats grinding on the drum.

so that one will be going back to them as it will not work.

so i stopped into sterling clutch and brake to find an adjuster and walked out with a free one in my back pocket. cheers mayte

otherwise the plan was to run the big one on the lathe at work down to the right size then grind some notches so the adjuster retainer will hold it.

IMG_1663_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

so now the brakes do not make any noises it shouldn't.

And now stops the old slug after you get a dead leg. 

• Like 7

So this old girl still had its old points ignition system 

so out came the old distributor to get a pertronix kit to suit.

went to my local v8 parts shop being STA parts.

walked out with a brand new electronic dizzy for 135incl gst

IMG_1611_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.4ce82d80e59f8074e1f57e9fd1bf7119.jpg

and this was still cheaper than the pertronix kits i had seen advertised online.

but the only problem being with this new electronic dizzy is it is much bigger than the old one.

IMG_1612_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.3fa3e3a4902b6003d20e0ac32c8b5ffc.jpg 

so i had to get my map torch and heat the coolant expansion tank then give it a massage with a panel hammer to clear adjustment for timing the distributor.

Also these distributors only have a one wire hookup being a 12v supply with a coil built inside the cap which is why the cap is soo big

And one terminal to hookup if you are running a tachometer. which i will put one in one day.

also another different thing with these distributors is the cap style lead terminals.

so i bought the right terminals and boots 

And a crimp tool.

IMG_1615_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.c9af3b88b5775f773ebae51c88fa801e.jpg 

cut old lead end off

IMG_1616_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.c33060c094ecdac5a991bbb28c4eff64.jpg

cut some of the insulation off the lead by placing a knife and spinning the lead.

IMG_1617_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.eb3ce804706bb474c3d3e3742ec7dee9.jpg 

then before you do this^^

place the boot on! makes it quite hard to put on once the terminal is on.

so for fitting the terminal you need to flip the wire underneath so it is resting on the metal terminal.

then place the terminal and crimp tool like the photo above and close them together using a vice.

IMG_1618_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.560740cd66e7883bab29f5821039bc19.jpg

and this is the end result.

this is a lengthy process but saves max $$ this way.

and at the end of it test all of your leads using an ohm meter to make sure they are all within range.

5a1a974284aad_IMG_1463_Easy-Resize.com(1).jpg.373408aab08c2e2349fa232a93684fe1.jpg

Also another thing with that bigger distributor was the air filter was no longer able to fit due to it being a low mount base type filter.

so out again to STA parts to sort this.

unfortunately they were out of stock of the high mount base,

so a complete new air filter base was purchased.

IMG_1649_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.7b3ec0553a098ba71541360adabf1f82.jpg   

still is quite close to the leads and cap but i did not like the look of the smaller diameter filters

so same size but high base mount type.

but looks much better than old setup i think.

just need to polish the rocker covers to help with a cleaner look. 

• Like 5

Also put some shocks in the front too

As it had none nice bouncy ride it was.

IMG_1656_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.942b50aacffd057f9de631bde1305efa.jpg

these were a bargain at only 15 USD each 

but they required some modifying to fit on the bottom.

IMG_1657_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.298bf50513b2bc2a64469f880676729f.jpg 

cut that bit out and fitted them with a flat washer and spring washer on the bottom.

another job done.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

so as some of you already know the old girl went through her compliance.

so the morning i dropped her in for compliance the guy there found an issue within a minute 

the shipping agent in the USA made the bill of sale but they didn't spell my last name correctly but to make it worse they wrote it twice on the papers but with two different wrong spellings.

duh!

so i dropped the car off at my old mans work and went and saw a JP (justice of the peace) and got the paperwork sorted stating that they spelt it wrong etc. then the car went the next following week after nzta gave the okay on the paperwork.

she went through and failed on a whole bunch of stuff

lights/rear wheel bearings/power steering leaks/ headlight aim/seatbelt type/rear brake specs to be confirmed/weight of the vehicle/check engine numbers/brake imbalance.

And some rust and a previous repair on the chassis to be redone.IMG_1680.thumb.JPG.16270f70f1fa7b805f2a136fd6eb3eb0.JPG  

so at the moment most of the mechanical repairs have been done. so i popped her over toady for the recheck only to have another inspector check it and find more shit they want done.

now they want a rego lamp lense/ a high stop fitted (doesn't by the virm need one) but you cant argue with them. and the seat belt mountings LVV certified.

but ive also had the repair certifier come and inspect and document the repairs that need to be done so now i can start work on that.

so it needs R/H floor pan repaired cut out and new patch welded in.

Trunk floor pan cut out and replaced with new steel.

and R/R chassis rail cut out tidied up check it is all square etc then welded back in.

and clean up sills from previous jacking and leftover bog from repaint.

so all of this will be done by myself and my old man.

And i have till the 27th of feb for it to be done by.

so now i need to find someone to make me a rear trunk pan. was going to use a person who made me a piece for the starlet but he went on holiday in November to ozzy and im unsure when he is back so will need to find someone else. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

2 steps forward one step back.

as some of you know already from spam this old girl broke down on me last monday on the mangere bridge which is a motorway and this old bus stopped in the bus lane.

had been over at work aligning the headlights and getting some other bits done and was going send it back for its recheck. 

but ended up getting frustrated at the car and calling it quits and taking it back home to sit in the corner. 

and running the headlamps caused the battery to go flat so i jump started it and off i went. only got 5 mins walking distance till she died.

so got my AA cover to come pick me and the car up and drop it at home. was lucky enough that none of the 3 cops that went past didn't stop as the towie said it would of been impounded as no wof or rego and 400 bucks in fines.

got her home and charged the battery up and she fired up without an issue as i knew it would.

but the carb on it is some no name 50$ napa auto parts POS.

have had it off to seal a leak it had and have given it a good clean out but trying to tune it with this carb doesn't get me anywhere and still has a flat spot. so when some money is available that doesn't need to be used for compliance shit a new carb is going on it.

was thinking an edelbrock 650cfm 2 barrel with electronic choke. was told edelbrock's are much easier to tune than holley's which i would believe.

IMG_1714_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.ab5334a539fc526e53cf7694070fb0ba.jpg     

trunk floor that needs replacing

IMG_1727_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.0cfb5a11c0dc9faeab79c54686f64f3d.jpg

has a few holes in it that could be reapired but the metal is pitted and its easy to just get another piece made.

IMG_1718_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.4dcfac211e65df4587cfc21cf58e052e.jpg

and this is the R/H front floor piece that needs replacing

fairly simple shape so will start making it and weld it in.

cheers mayte 

• Like 5