Jackeo21's 1962 Morris Mini

jackeo21

16 hours ago, rustisize said:

850cc?  is a destroked 1000.  If you are worried about power, a non-standard exhaust can help.  Maybe a GT cam but that's up to you to decide.

Yep, I do have a set of extractors and a complete cooper exhaust system but I was worried about it being too big for the tiny little ports that the 850 has. Tempted to just use it and see what happens, I doubt it would be too much of a problem. Whilst I want to cam the 850, I've seen mixed reactions to this on the net, some say to get the engine line bored for 3 cam bearings, others are okay with running performance cams on the standard cast iron journals that the 850 has. I wasn't planning on dumping a ton of money into the 850 as it would be more financially economical to start with something a little bigger (1100, 1275...), but for the time being, I'll be sticking to the 850 as my college budget holds me back from the big bore engines :)

• Like 1

Always liked the mini.

I don't know the colours but do know most manufacturers had similar colours just different shades and names.

The HR Holden had a colour called finisterre green i think its called. And usually with a white roof.

This sorta combo looks good on an old mini.

Used to work on an old 850 auto in this sorta colour combo. Actually didn't go to bad. Was expecting a snail to over take it. So if yours is manual you will probably be fine.

Definitely steelies (body colour coded) and chrome hubcaps. I prefer the solid windscreen visor over the mesh. 

Can be a pain when sun comes thru the mesh  and makes anouying light patterns over the windscreen etc when your cruising. lol.

I would err against a metallic colour and also against body coded steels if I'm honest. If you're white roofing it then steels to match the roof would look good but I'm not a huge fan of colour coded wheels to cars combos.

Have fun though regardless, looks like a sweet lego technics set you've got yourself.

On 9/30/2017 at 15:09, tortron said:

Build the 850 into a screamer

Single carb and oversize the exhaust to 1 1/4"

People say don't do it because the bigger engines are common enough, but before they came out the 850 did have some speed tuning development (because it desperately needs it)

Yep, I reckon this will be the plan. Many people underestimate the little 850's, but I've always had a thing for them, and the plus side is, they're really plentiful and cheap so there's definitely no shortage of parts. I now have 2 complete engines and one parts engine. Good stuff! That means I've got a backup engine or two in the event of a failure.

I believe Aussie got a version called the "sports 850" which was an 850 with twin SU's and a better exhaust system that seemed to have a substantial impact on the cars performance. One website claimed these "sports 850's" could do 0-100 9 seconds faster than standard, and the top speed went up 11k's an hour. Not too bad!

Will need to go and check the diameter of the exhaust system I got from zebra. I know that the center port on my extractors is quite a lot bigger than the port on the head.

Cheers for the input fellas. I'm personally not a big fan of body colored steels myself. Have always wanted wide steels in semi gloss black (on any car really) but not sure this is the right way to go with my little MK1.  Roof will definitely be white (probably old English white) so I could possibly do my rims (and grille depending on how rusty it is when it gets here) in the same white as the roof.

I may go against wide steels due to them needing to be certed..? Have seen a few mags that I like the look of, so might go in that direction.

I've been collecting a wide variety of mini pictures as inspiration but nothing has really well and truly sprung out at me yet. Very on the line about doing a modern Metallic blue from a new BMW mini and doing a sort of restomod job or going for an old school, period correct colour and keeping the mini close to, but not 100% standard.

Luckily, the interior is very neutral. I've got the early black and white "fleck" seats with black vinyl edging, and black carpet, so I don't need to worry about contrasting colours there.

More updates soon!

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought some go faster bits as seen in the main project log.

Only thing that has me confused is what to do with the cylinder head. Do I raise my compression up by getting the head milled or bolt my bigger head straight on but have a low compression ratio of 7:9:1? I'll need to do some more research and come up with a measurement to take off the head if I choose to go that route.

More to come tomorrow!

Jack.

7.9:1 is roughly what my sidevalve morris minor is after i bumped up the compression

i would say go knock off 2thou from the head and you will be up to a little more than standard.

Measure it if you like, you can get close enough with a flat bit of plastic card held to the combustion chamber with grease and a syringe from the vets, thats how i matched the volumes in mine

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 07:07, Nominal said:

Have you got a copy of this book? If not, you probably need one.

2084de27e7a2f67407f69aa23d0dce168923dab1

I have one at home so could have look at what he says about the head swap.

I really need to invest in one of those! I have decided to just bolt my head on and see how we go, my boss has done this exact head swap onto an 850 and claims to have had no worries at all. Worst case, I can get it machined up, but for the time being I'm just gonna run it. I've heard those books are a must have!

So what do we think of the engine colour/mags/seat choice?

I've got a little before and after of my 850cc engine. It came out of a car that was on a lawn for 25+ years, ran briefly, and then underwent a restoration. I'm hoping to have it running in the coming few weeks, provided all goes well!

Before, as it sat in the remains of the poor little '62 it came from.

41qfmm0y.vmu.jpg

And after, as it currently sits on my workbench awaiting a radiator and some carbs/assorted bits.

lk0p0blw.ei1.jpg

We're getting there!

Did you swap the 12G 202 head on? I had a look in the Vizard book and the only specific comment is that a 12G 202 will give 2-3hp over the standard 850 head, given the same chamber volume (nominal 24.5cc on 850, 26.1cc on 202),so you would need to skim it to get that increase. 

Then he details the chamber reshaping and porting to get more improvement. It depends what you want to achieve I guess, including what CR/fuel you want to run. More compression means more power generally.

The 12G 295 (cooper type) head is a lot better but harder to find a good one, and more $$$ (I bought one that turned out to be repaired in the combustion chambers so I sold it again with full disclosure)

Rattle can rebuild looks good, not too sure than anyone is very fussy about the colour unless you are going for concours.

You know it would be faster if the engine was red, right?