GuyWithAviators' 49cc Honda Collection

GuyWithAviators

Put some handle bar clamp adapters on it, painted the rims black and put on some new tyres. 

5dag2zy.jpg

Lowered the rear a touch by trimming the springs then adding thread to the internal shaft to keep them captive.

ksiIvdw.jpg

Rode it around like that a bit longer than I should have with no seat, no front brake and a really short exhaust lols. 

QakPks8.jpg

OSuWgs5.jpg

Handlebar clamp is nice.. NZ made too. https://maxcubs.bigcartel.com/product/honda-cub-handlebar-adapter-plate

g1yUGM6.jpg

• Like 6

Apparently it was too loud so I got @Geophy to whip me up an exhaust using and old gutted muffler, also made some footpegs to suit the low pipe. 

V4oFT6L.jpg

Note the addition of a seat base and side cover. 

Dropped it off to my local upholster in Tauranga and he made me a lush seat, not after a test ride by him.  

hWkLaEK.jpg

The seat, he made a new wooden base for me, just fricton fit around the original hinge mount and fuel cap. 

8LyEEZK.jpg

Then that weekend I took it up to a Moped NZ Auckland ride. 

qKDTIIr.jpg

And then on the way home I sold it to Darren at Shore50s. He'd been wanting one for a while and this already had his motor in it haha. 

So was a quick build, literally (would hit 90km easy). But the cash from this went towards a plane ticket for another small bike adventure in early 2019.

1aZ6R51.jpg 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Alright Honda sharn part 3 now. 
About 2 years ago when I was down in Christchurch on an Easties ride I was sharning to a guy and he mentioned he had a couple of Honda CF50 Chalys that he saved from under a bush somewhere. He wasn't keen to sell at the time but I left him my details. 

Fast forward about a year he asks if I'm still keen - so we agreed on a price and I got @mo999 to collect it. He actually got it to run, but the kickstart shaft was stripped and it had no throttle cable. 

Some OSGC freight got it to Drag Day 18 where @MopedNZ brought it to Tauraga for me. Here he is carrying it home for me. 

CjIHE8c.jpg

I actually rode it up the street like this, reaching down into the frame to open the throttle. But as it goes this happened: 

WapK6Dw.jpg

Looked like a leprosy victim up close but it was solid, no rust holes. 

wRwIvwA.jpg

So I sold / gave away a few of the stock parts I knew I wouldn't use to some restorers. Then boxed up the rest as I was heading to Thailand with the other FOAMERS.

Saw some cool Chalys while we were there which got me inspired. 

HhqSIJN.jpg

This one has had bits of frame chopped out under the tank/seat and head stock area. Also has wide wheels and disc brake amongst other things. Built buy a guy called Nut in his family's basement. Here's his page, worth a look: https://www.facebook.com/DKKminibike/

We stayed the night with Nut and he showed us around his area and a local custom bike show. 

YwxFyoW.jpg

This Chaly we saw at LHM Motorcycle museum / shop just out of Bangkok. 

7b0HxI1.jpg

And this pair were built by a guy called Yut. He builds and sells the wide wheels/forks/swingarms. 
His page: https://www.facebook.com/cdmshop4mini/
I was tempted by these parts for my Chaly but I already knew I wanted to go a different route.. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So, back in NZ now. A little time had passed since I'd been home. Was spending most of my time working on other Yamaha junk. 

Until I spotted a cheap 140cc Pitbike on Facebook market place in Gisborne. Was probably stolen but I got my man @Raizer on the job and he went to the hood and collected it for me. 

It made it's way to my garage and did some eyeballing and slapped the rear end into my Chaly frame... this could work. I initially wanted it to be more of an off road bike with lots of suspension travel but it was really a bit small for that and the long swing arm sitting level with the bigger 12 inch wheel got me thinking bad things. 

Jf2CAdP.jpg

I was also keen to use the engine from the yx140cc Pitbike in this - 'bolted in' but it wouldn't change into second gear so I knew I'd need to open it up and see what was going on. Only issue with this engine was it uses a manual primary clutch and the lever sits on top of the motor and would foul the frame. So @Raizer to the rescue again - he'd done this to his 140cc Chandler too. Notched the frame, moved the engine mount in and tig'd up the seam. 

kPU401Y.jpg

eR58Tti.jpg

This worked well so I did a skid.

n6SA4XR.jpg

And upon further inspection I noticed the actual inner casing was cracked around where a bearing goes. Too meke clutch dumps maybe. 

QnIFOT1.jpg

I ended up finding another inner casing and gear and putting it all back together. 

So with the rear end decided on I turned my attention to the front. I kept the front forks and 10 inch wheel but google translate yarned to my mate Nut in Thailand about how to lower the front of these. I figured out chop the springs and shorten the inner chrome tube. Easy enough but the tube ID steps out from 13mm to 17mm for the spring seat to go into. So I got my friendly not-so-local engineer to put these in the lathe and widen my holes. @Geophy also tidied up the guard mount I cut off and used the mill to machine the holes for the roll pins holding the spring keeper in right. 

6MsIuEj.jpg

XJJ3mST.jpg

I don't have a photo of the stock length spring but it was about twice this length. 

Put this all together and got a good idea of how it'd sit. 

OvjFAgz.jpg

Sourced some fat road tyres. 

LPgKinD.jpg

Ft. @MopedNZ's first Chaly with his Thai parts from Yut @ CDM shop. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Keen viewers may have noticed the rear swingarm is monoshock mount and the Chaly frame is not. I found some 25x25 box section, cut the top off then got these U shaped brackets welded onto the swingarm. Mail ordered some solid struts for the rear from my not-so-local engineeer and slapped them in. 

I also found some cool handle bars in a junk pile and made up a headlight bracket to suit a swapmeat find Hella 181 driving light with brand new cover from BnT. 

Around this time I also decided I wasn't going to run the 140cc engine, it sounded rattly after I put it together and I didn't have a big enough carb for it. So I got another brand new Lifan 125 semi for simplicity and reliabilitys sake. 

Here I am showing the struts, headlight and gently running in the new motor. 

Keen eyes may have also noticed the rear disc brake. The bike was too low to use a foot brake and with no clutch lever to worry about with the semi auto I went with a hand rear brake and cable off a late model scooter. Works great! Locks up easily. 

So exhaust was up next. Another swapmeat find of these twin mufflers. Mayeb from a pocket bike? Made a new bracket for them, hung off the rear shock mount and mated them up to a pitbike header. Also ran a step drill down the ends of them to open them up a bit, has a nice tone to it. 

Tun8YR0.jpg

And this was essentially the finished product! 

RfDtTLv.jpg

But King Giraffe / Mouldy Bannana wasn't going to be too well recieved by the local constabulary... I've already had a couple of run ins with them over the state of my bikes. So this one would be different.

• Like 6

So treated it for it's skin disease with a wire brush on the grinder then chucked it in a sand blasting booth to get in the tight spots. Also blasted the front rim halves, hub and other misc bits. 

QYdhkai.jpg

Primed it / threw some bog over the worse of the pitting. 

LMiIfq8.jpg

And then laid down the colour - just rattle can Dupli-colour 'Gun Metal'. Also fitted some Chaly badges and a custome bespoke air filter hole cover.

NcH2B02.jpg

Cleared it, wet sand and polish. Not bad considering how it started. 

Cleaned up / painted the other bits and added some gubbins from Aliexpress, speedo, oil cooler etc. Slapped it back together: 

Lg0ltYR.jpg

Tidy! 
Still missing a seat though so got my guy to whip up another wood base special. Let him have free reign of the design -  I dig it. 

noeCtWB.jpg

Then that weekend was the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride in Auckland. 
Warmed up the tyre before hand: 

https://imgur.com/tdQDpZU

It was the smallest bike there, was really well recived. Air filter got soaked though and sapped some power and it bogged down going up hills - not getting enough fuel to the carb with it being higher than the tank outlet now. 

0yO2fOG.jpg

Did some off-roading with @Shakotom after. 

ucFtVlV.jpg

A good shakedown run on it's first proper ride. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Also found a fix for the fuel starve issue / filter getting wet. 
Fitted a vacuum fuel pump from a Honda Dio. Gets a vac pusle from a barb I tapped into the inlet manifold and sucks fuel from the tank to the carb. This meant no room for a filter, so it can't get wet. ;-) Good thing Lifans are disposable motors. 

2EcDNvj.jpg

Next event was Moped NZ CCDM meet (Cub, Chaly, Dax, Monkey) in Auckland. So I slapped some Doozi made Chaly decals on - in gold. Lush matte finish and designed off a sticker set NZ didn't get. 

AWvY5GH.jpg

j8Al5Hc.jpg

These really set the bike off against others, have a couple of gold fasteners on too. I also fitted up the carb top cover to clean the look up - and spanner welded onto the choke lever. 

I also made a suicide shifter with an ornament on top. If it looks familiar I'm not sure why.. 

HtvOjse.jpg

Here it is parked up at the start of the CCDM ride. 

PB4UaPU.jpg

And some of the other stuff that went on that weekend. Lots of dudes. 

BpD4zzn.jpg

JqdPanJ.jpg

uoqKYWt.jpg

vWmMrob.jpg

And this trophy I made from my stock front guard - went to Zain for his choppd Chaly with amazing fab work. 

yaoJo8Z.jpg

• Like 5

Alright hope these sharns aren't too punishing. 

Pt.3 section 2. 

Te Urawera Undertaking was coming up quick with my CT90 sold and Yamaha YG not running right all I had left was my Chaly. It'll be fine for a 600km half gravel ride with no suspension? 

Mhmm probably not. So I borrowed the rear shocks from my YG - about 310mm long. And some stock length springs from a mate's Chaly - with my cut tubes. 

UR9gokB.jpg

Repro Honda Dax front guard, foot shift, rear rack and tail light combo. This photo was taken on a test ride. Was great! Spare gas def needed, only holds 2.8l. 

Shortly down the road though doing a vmax run.. 

1L3rHIP.jpg

Note the skid mark and fuel trail on the road. 

The ratchet strap tail got caught in the chain and sucked it in. 

9GrRhB5.jpg

This pulled the bike right down, breaking my tail light, squashing the fuel can and bending the rack/mount. 

sP68INz.jpg

Quite scary locking up at 80kph. Managed to stay upright though and slid into the ditch. 

I wasn't that close to home so after untagling everything carried on... Only to run out of fuel shortly after haha. I needed that jerry can. Lucky I left my ute keys at home and Callum came and rescued me. 

Anyway, bashed the rack and mount bracket straight, revised my tie down and got a new fuel can. 

Y5KIhDG.jpg

The ride was a hoot. Until I lost spark in the middle of nowhere. Lucky @Ned picked me up in the support car. I also lost the rack somewhere along the way, kept the fuel though. I welded the cracks after it got bent the first time but it wasn't enough. 

a98uWvW.jpg

Had a look at it that night but couldn't see anything obvious. It was dark and raining so cut my losses and left it in the trailer and jumped on J5's spare Postie CT110 for the second day. 

ybNsMtc.jpg

That took us to Gisborne where I put the Chaly up on the lift at @Raizer's place and took the fuel tank out to check the CDI etc. It was full of oil under there, looks like the breather lost its hose and was pumping straight into the CDI and Coil plugs. So I cleaned that out, shoved a rag in there and stole some garden hose to put over the breather pipe. This worked and I rode the last day on the Chaly. 

lJSbw2I.jpg

With @Shakotom ADV50 

And the aftermath of the 2 days punishing riding. 

HOLhvnD.jpg

b0FKIj0.jpg

The long swingarm was great on gravel, the tyres not so much. 

• Like 4

Back to our regularly scheduled programming now. Cleaned it up and put the low suspension back in. Took it drag racing at 2019 OS drag day. 

@MichaelJFox with the lush pics. 

9gD6Nch.jpg

ZkthVSK.jpg

sTJDLpk.jpg

It wasn't that quick, I also installed a smaller rear sprocket after Te Undertaking ride for better open road speed. So it had a slow take off. 
I also only got 2 runs due to rain and the track marshal not liking it.. asked to see it's WOF etc a couple of times. Fun though!

Here's @Ned on it. 

rR33J6k.jpg

And this photo might seem familiar. 

Ie6Zxxj.jpg

2018: 

CjIHE8c.jpg

After drag day I took it to @Geophy's house warming and did a skid, because of course. Might be a bit lean? 

78605533_558788568018881_6072041445290672128_n.jpg.d3d8ed21bdd17c82dbfefc4ae9de329e.jpg

Just kept riding it after that. Here it is on inappropriate roads during Moped NZ Mt Maunganui Ride. This also broke the mufflers off. 

wjf40pB.jpg

• Like 5