Triumphant's 1969 Skoda Sabre

Triumphant

• 2 months later...

Okay things have been quiet lately - final exams mean no time for cars sadly. Anyway, back in Dunedin for a week so got the Sabre out for a second attempt at wof (new brake cylinders on the way from England). Sorting through some bits lead to finding more NOS parts including what could be the shiniest original Skoda hubcap in existance, and a front bumper still wrapped from the factory. Even found the original Sabre badge that I thought had been lost years ago! Will get the tyres fitted on Monday and hopefully get the cylinders fitted mid-week in time for a wof on Thursday. 

After consulting workshop manuals for the Sabre and the later 110 series I have concluded I can swap the front end out from this car for a disc brake one I have. Will do the swap over Christmas, want to get it all painted etc before fitting. Cherry on the cake is the NOS calipers which means no messing about getting things relined (an expensive route I went down with my 110L last year). 

IMG_1794-min.JPG

IMG_1795-min.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Managed to get back down to Dunedin to work on the old car. When I took it for a warrant a while back now it failed on a leaky wheel cylinder among other things.I managed to source a pair of cylinders off ebay cheap which was great, only to pull off the drum to find this mess. Oil seal, not brake cylinder. That would explain the brake performance......

A smaller, more satisfying job has been swapping the 110 steering wheel back for the original which as it turns out is enormous by comparison. Will be interesting to see what it feels like to drive with! Might swap the speedo back to the original although this is more colourful than the old one

IMG_1847-min.JPG

IMG_1850-min.JPG

IMG_1851-min.JPG

IMG_1852[1].JPG

• Like 3

Made and broke a puller today trying to get the bearing/seal etc out. Will be contacting Skoda Barrys to find out if there's an easy way (please feel free to offer advice on the discussion!).

According to various workshop manuals, the axle should be able to be pressed back in towards the gearbox (~ 10mm) and then let back out which will push out the bearing - easier said than done :(  

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

A long time between updates! Mix of work & renovations have meant that there hasn't been much work done lately. Latest news is I finally managed to get to the infamous Marshland Road site to hunt for Skodas. Didn't expect to find so many, it almost seemed like every fifth car was 110 or sections of one! 

I had watched a video on youtube someone had made of the site  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIzthlI87hc ) and in one shot there was a fairly solid looking Sabre! Sadly though between the video being taken and today someone has beaten me to it! There were three other Sabres on the site but in much worse condition. I will buy one of them just to get the original seats & wheels (my Sabre has 110L seats and 13 inch 120LS wheels) and maybe the windscreens.  

img_2157.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Made it back to save one of the wrecks, I was there by myself so took the white one because it was easier to access. I wanted to get the red one originally but it had black seats verses the red ones my car had new. Turned out to be quite the mission to get it out, used my XJ Jeep which has never been off the road to drag the various wrecks out of the way so I could get the trailer close enough. Then almost ripped the whole front off the Skoda winching it from the front suspension! Unbelievably rusty piece of a car. Front right wheel was fully locked on so only way I could get it on the trailer was greasing the tyre then pulling it on.

Made it home once I'd got it onto the trailer (there goes the neighbourhood), got the bits off it I wanted then took it for scrap. Seats have been really well preserved, the lichen on the windscreens seems to have blacked out the sun (see photo for before/after cleaning). Newspaper found in the car would date it as being sent to it's death in 1988 so 30 years in a paddock!

Also found the unrecognisable remains of a 110R coupe - sad sad sight :(

IMG_2959-min.JPG

IMG_2964-min-min.JPG

• Like 5

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...