From broke to having brokers, my price Range is Rover

UTERUS

Naturally I forgot to take the gopro along to show the effort required to get here but you'll just have to take my word for it when I say it was rather tough going.

22195500_10155572723590856_5718254348917

Also, I was wombling along a gravel road to go check out a camp site and an old mate in a suzuki came round a corner towards me reaaal hot, slammed on the brakes and skidded sideways trying to roll his rig over. In my effort to avoid a collision, I got heavy on the brakes too however the road was very off camber to the left and I slid sideways in to the bank and wasted the wing mirror off. Old mate in the suzuki started laughing and bailed. Munters  :doubt: 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A list of things that happened over the last few months. 

Fitted bumpstops all round and spacers on the rear so the tyres stop having a party inside the arches. 

Rebuilt the brake modulator as some internal things broke. (miserable) 

Bought another range rover for parts. 

Replaced the abs accumulator. 

Replaced broken wing mirror. 

Last week flatmate and I decided to go do 42 traverse, but thought it would be a good idea to weld the rear diff first. 

42 is a bit gnarly at points now, as usual I forgot to take many pics because I was busy trying to not to fall off the track like one guy did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got 33" mud tyres and a locked rear diff so it wasn't too bad mostly, there were a couple of places that would be tough going for open diffs and smaller tyres though.

Also we went from Kapoors rd to owhango which is downhill and it felt like the gnarly stuff was downhill, so go that direction.

Dunno about deer, I don't go hunting so I don't look for it.

• Thanks 1

Rode it yesterday on my mtb, was a confusing sign that said closed to anything bigger than a four wheel drive motorbike.....was at an intersection tho at the start so may have been for anothertrack. Came across one 4wd and  few quads as well driving it, as a handfull of 4wds parked up at at the shack things not far in from the start

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dolan said:

nice i thought it was shut to 4x4s this year!

Pete will be more familiar with what closures actually happen, but DOC says it's closed to 4X4 1 may - 30 November. 

I'm not sure if they actually put gates up, but I saw concrete bollard type things at the side of the track. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UTERUS said:

Pete will be more familiar with what closures actually happen, but DOC says it's closed to 4X4 1 may - 30 November. 

I'm not sure if they actually put gates up, but I saw concrete bollard type things at the side of the track. 

yeah man. i thought i saw somewhere else that it was closed all season this year though but obvs not! 

keen to ride it over winter tbh

Was talking to my old man today, he and a couple of others helped an old dude out that got stuck on 42 traverse this weekend. He was by himself and had a long wheel base patrol, took 4 guys, 3 hours to get him moving again, that was after he had walked 10km along the track trying to find someone to help. Lucky my dad is pro with ropes and pulleys, so were able to drag his truck out of the bush on the side of the track as no way the quad bikes would have pulled the truck out by themselves

Sometimes they do keep it closed to 4wds during the Summer if the track is quite badly damaged. I imagine that after this coming winter it could remain closed for quite a while because of all the slips.

A while ago I took part in a track clearing there (there's a group called friends of the 42 traverse that do these) and I popped in to the start to look at the track the day before we were doing the clearing and met a not-so-friendly DOC ranger on the road in. He gave me a bit of a bollocking, saying that we were going to fuck the track with our mud tyres etc (even though he'd just come out with a side by side with fucking tractor grips lol). According to him they don't block it off or anything when its closed to 4wds because they still need to be able to get bikes, horses and side by sides through... I feel like they'd be better off just closing it to all motorised vehicles during winter and putting up a horse jump at each end haha

/off topic sorry

10 hours ago, peteretep said:

Was talking to my old man today, he and a couple of others helped an old dude out that got stuck on 42 traverse this weekend. He was by himself and had a long wheel base patrol, took 4 guys, 3 hours to get him moving again, that was after he had walked 10km along the track trying to find someone to help. Lucky my dad is pro with ropes and pulleys, so were able to drag his truck out of the bush on the side of the track as no way the quad bikes would have pulled the truck out by themselves

I think I know the spot, there was an uphill section that was really slippery and rutted with the only chance of getting up it was to commit and just send it. Was happy I had a locker on that one. 

Someone went halfway up, stopped then tried to reverse back down the hill. However his Tyre tracks went off the side of the track into even slipperier mud.