Floor Jack Oil

oldrx

My pos jack did oil wees on the floor, and wouldn't  go up anymore. I put 20/50 in it. (Cos thats all I had, and i needed it to work then and there. Its still in there. Still works, and doesnt seem to leak anymore? Id actually forgotten it was in there till this thread. Lol.

Tell me how stupid I am

/lingpost.

atf in a hyd pump (airless sprayer)  soon fucks it reeeaal good 

looked like someone had taken to the piston and bore with sandpaper

but that was going at 1500rpm for a few weeks 

so yeah hand pumping prob not a big deal/ find some hyd oil

We used to use Mobile Delvac 1310 in the CAT side of the fleet for Hydraulic. Used Mobile Delvac 1330 for the CAT engines. Didn't matter if it was a high drive 8N or a little D6, they were all the same. When we were operating out in the boonies sometimes (like real fucking boonies say island only accessible by sea-craft and we were only there for a day or two so brought fuck all) and we had had something happen to a hydraulic system that caused it to near empty - if we had used up all of our spare fluid and still needed more ... we'd make it up by mixing 1330 engine oil with diesel. Mobil Delvac 1310 Hydraulic oil has a distinctive smell that only it has. If you've operated big CAT gear, you'd know what i am talking about. I swear to god that once you mixed diesel with the engine oil - you ended up with something that looked like and smelt like Mobil Delvac 1310 Hydraulic fluid. Worked for us - never forgot it. But personally ... why fuck around given the piddly amount you are after - don't take risks with lifting shit bro. Da fuck is $18 compared to the chance of something failing in the future and causing damage. Better places to cheap out in with no risk. Just sayin ... Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going from memory in my oil company days, I think the main thing you want to watch out for is that the oil has anti-foaming properties (probably hard to find here :)) , ATF should be fine, I think there was an ATF that ford used that should be avoided though as it had a friction modifier that added friction , type F? , I'd need to find my old books..

universal tractor oil should work ok too, ditto on not using brake fluid although I remember one of my customers had an old jack that specified brake fluid only!

^Type F is pretty much the same as a universal tractor oil. Universal tractor oil has the friction modifier in it for the wet brakes. 10W hydro is really what you want but the normal run of the mill 46 hydro will do. Just dont want anything that has an EP additive, eg gear oil.