Jesses lada sharn thread

DoBro Jesus

Been trying to get outside jobs at work the last couple days just so I can gaze at it's beauty! Didn't realise there was such pine for them! Glad you guys like it, been given so much Shit at work for it haha.

Obviously I want to restore it to stock to help with the re-vin, but, I've been trying to think of engine conversion ideas.... we had a written off altezza with the beams and 6 speed sitting in our yard but someone else bought it the other day and I thought that would be a pretty sweet idea, there's the obvious fiat twin cam, but they don't yield a heap of grunt. Don't wanna go v8, I want something with all the doorts that revs to 10k haha I just feel something like that would suit it more. Thought about tang and desprang, not a heap of room in the engine bay so that could even be a goer haha, any suggestions?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First thoughts on engine swaps is to consider that standard you have the steering box, starter motor, brakes, and both manifolds all jammed next to one another. 

Seen pics of one in UK with SR20 which tilts away from that space and exhaust on the other side. There is also one with CA18 build on UK Lada forum. 

Fuck yeah!  I turned up at the yard last weekend just as Jesse was about to load it onto the trailer. I'd not seen it the two weeks prior. What an awesome score. Rusty old wagons! Yes :-) Man you'll be swarming in Barries when you pull up to a service station in this! 

Looking forward muchly to all the good updates.  I too am looking for a dorty, lightweight engine for my wag so interested in what you look find.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Fuck yeah!  I turned up at the yard last weekend just as Jesse was about to load it onto the trailer. I'd not seen it the two weeks prior. What an awesome score. Rusty old wagons! Yes :-) Man you'll be swarming in Barries when you pull up to a service station in this! 

Looking forward muchly to all the good updates.  I too am looking for a dorty, lightweight engine for my wag so interested in what you look find.

Sorry I didn't have much time to stay and chat/help! Was meaning to ask, how did the imp retrieval go? Also @doullama I was considering that 4g13 minisprint engine that's on the tard, would be pretty awesome but pretty spendy haha.

• Like 1

I'm not seeing any updates Jesse. You should have the car rebuilt by now. Harry got the lada sedan today. It will probably donate its engine/trans to the wagon as it has a functional clutch and has an extra 100cc. The empty sedan shell could be a candidate for tang and desprang 

• Like 1

A 131 with a 1600 probably wont have an lsd or the stronger steelcase zf box. Worth grabbing all the same?

Most fiat/lada  boxes are ally case collotti and should just require a bell housing swap to fit a twink to the lada box.

2l auto would be most likley to have lsd but whole diff is quite different from earlier 124/lada type and has drums and is v heavy. New Lsd centers are avaliable for the factory lada diff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, azzurro said:

A 131 with a 1600 probably wont have an lsd or the stronger steelcase zf box. Worth grabbing all the same?

131/132/argenta 5 speed zf gearbox is alloy case, there is no steel case fiat twincam gearbox. they have steel synchros though. completely different case design and ~90mm longer than the 124 5 speed. but as above they only came in the 2L cars afaik.

depends what year the 131 is, the early ones had ohv motors which wouldnt be much of a upgrade from a lada motor but if its a later supermirafiori it could have the twincam 1600 which is an ok motor. not the torqueyist but the shortest stroke of the twincams so can rev out pretty well. 95hp standard with a single carb and room for tweaking that up if desired.

• Like 2