Sign in to follow this  
bonkas

bonkas tired old Lancer EX - Engine Swap/Build Thread

You need to run the voltage sense wire all the way on its own to the battery.

Or otherwise diagnose it further.

Buying a new battery isnt the fix here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My issue is I am retrofitting a newer 90s alternator and only using the sense and bulb wires, auto electrician said voltage would be high as it is not computer controlled. 

Not sure there is any way around this without putting old anemic one back in... 

When I tested the sense wire it had exact same voltage as at battery, will need to check again. 

8 hours ago, bonkas said:

My issue is I am retrofitting a newer 90s alternator and only using the sense and bulb wires, auto electrician said voltage would be high as it is not computer controlled. 

Not sure there is any way around this without putting old anemic one back in... 

When I tested the sense wire it had exact same voltage as at battery, will need to check again. 

Auto electrician is not making sense. Computer controlled alternator my ass.

How exactly is it wired?

I have an RVR alternator on my LB. Used the 2 wires that went from the alternator to the loom(instead of the external reg) Works well so far, pumps out 14.7v to battery in boot

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

I have an RVR alternator on my LB. Used the 2 wires that went from the alternator to the loom(instead of the external reg) Works well so far, pumps out 14.7v to battery in boot 

Exactly this ^

image.png.8ba6b232c666116ceafe3f77a898780a.png

I am only using the S and L Pins and getting about 15.2v.

The alternator was tested and put out ~14.5v which I was happy with but 15 just seems too high.

I have had to charge this battery a few times, maybe this is the issue... Maybe if I give it time the voltage will drop as battery charges.. The battery was only at around 12.2 resting voltage when the car was started.

What was your alternator from? As far as I remember, it was only the really late alternators (evo 8 on) that were ecu controlled. Mine was from a n23 rvr, plenty available and bolt straight on. Also keeps it simple

Hmm there is voltage on the wire to the sense pin... maybe it's a dodgy connection in the plug/alternator.. would this be a fault of no voltage on the sense pin?

Carbs sound cool

@1.54 in your video sounds like it is pinging though, might be too much timing?

On 06/04/2019 at 10:27, cletus said:

Carbs sound cool

@1.54 in your video sounds like it is pinging though, might be too much timing?

Haha, yeah! The noise went away when we took out the loose catch can we realised was left rattling around in the engine bay :D