bonkas tired old Lancer EX - Engine Swap/Build Thread

bonkas

Long time since I had an update on this...

Gearbox is now mated to the engine, after finding out the Donor EX had a sigma gearbox and 1200 driveshaft and unknown diff, I was under the impression from the seller these were all stock... I found this out when mating the gearbox was too easy! New clutch disk to suite the 1600 box and all is happy again - I now have the clutch parts required to mate the sigma box up after a quick inspection and possibly rebuild as it is in unknown condition and the donor car was in very rough shape, Interesting they didnt modify the shifter or floor at all to make this gearbox fit as I thought that was required.. maybe on in the LA LB lancers?

First time fitting a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate etc so it took a few goes before having everything correct but it should all be torqued to spec. I did find after mounting the gearbox there are some bolts which are missing, this is strange as I used all the bolts I had kept from the 1600cc motor, I can only think there may have been exhaust mounts or something that bolted here so I will have these bolts they are just in a different hiding place.

some pics for thread:

received_10204465443993390.jpg
received_10204465445113418.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big day today. Feels like ive got over a huge hurdle and reached a milestone.

Car up on hoist:

IMG_20180729_113617.jpg

It now has a heart.... not beating yet.. Thanks @ToMitz for the cam pulley, looks really sweet actually, much better than the stock pressed steel thing.

IMG_20180729_124308.jpg

Have new engine mounts, new gearbox mount, master cylinder has started leaking like a fountain for some reason as I have not touched it, will need a new one of those too...

Next up is to bolt up odds and ends like alternator, radiator, put interior back together and start building the manifold with the help of my dad.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Turns out I should have measured more thoroughly... The fan I picked is too think by about 10mm and will not clear the water pump and pulley on the front of the motor.

Hopefully I have a fan coming which is 15-20mm thinner which I should be able to modify to fit the same as the old so I don't have to muck around with modifying or making a new shroud.

IMG_20180911_175820.jpg
IMG_20180911_175811.jpg

• 2 months later...

Bit more progress today.

Got some misc parts cleaned up and painted.

Started building and mocking up the intake manifold, all looks good until mocked up against the engine.. Someone has put a damn Distributor in the way! also the carbs are very wide and ports on head are very narrow and close together. I think I will need to shave off the linkage and bosy of one of the carbs to make enough clearance to squeeze a throttle linkage in and clear the distributor cap. Sorry I have no pics of this.

IMG-20181202-163724.jpg
IMG-20181202-163728.jpg
IMG-20181206-195359.jpg
IMG-20181206-201144.jpg
IMG-20181206-201433.jpg
IMG-20181201-180019.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Today was a big win!

Intake is FINISHED!, machined some material out to space out the distributor the correct distance same as stock manifold.

Got Alternator mounted, had to modify the bracket as it was too close to the coolant hose and wouldn't let a hose clamp slip on. This is because I am using an alternator from a new model and had to make spacers to allow it to fit and machined the old pulley to fit the new alternator, because of this it sits in slightly different spot to the old one.

Got the Radiator and fan mounted for the last time, installed the bottom hose, top hose I will need to modify to allow the inline temperate sensor adapter - This will control my radiator fan.

Installed the temp sender for the dash gauge into the manifold under the thermostat, I have read this isn't really the best place for it but unfortunately there was no room anywhere else.

Got the heater hoses all plumbed up using various heater hoses from mitsi vans, commodores and falcons.

The Fuel pump is mounted... But I will need to replace this with another unit as the hose fittings don't have any barbs on the end and I am afraid I might get a hose pop off.

Finished the throttle linkages, just need a bit of adjustment and mount the bracket that hold the cable somewhere.

IMG-20190302-165737.jpg

IMG-20190302-165747.jpg

Next on the list:

• Find another low pressure pump
  • Mount Fuel Regulator
  • Find some air filters that will let me use the air trumpets
  • Mount fuse box
  • Mount vacuum pump
  • Wire up Fuel Pump, Radiator and Vacuum Pump
  • Install distributor, plugs and leads for the final time

If anyone can help with the above especially the fuel pump, find a quiet vacuum pump and if your in the Waikato and can offer a hand with the wiring!

• Like 3

@ToMitz

Despite a massive water leak from the pipe that runs into the back of the water pump... The O-Ring seal it came with from factory appears to be too small.

But I succeeded in this:

Bit of carb tuning and watching oil pressure and she idles sweet as. The oil pressure gauge in the dash is really jumpy and inaccurate but I have confirmed with an external oil pressure gauge I am getting 60PSI of pressure so I am ignoring that for now.

• Like 4

Tad bit longer video with a bit of a rev up after getting alternator working.

Alternator is pumping out a massive 15v so will probably cook this battery is short order, anyone have hookups on calcium batteries? It is my thinking they require higher charge voltage and might be a good fit, otherwise auto electrician said he may be able to bring voltage down.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

An update for you guys...

Just picked the car up from Coby Performance Exhausts and has a brand new 2.25" exhaust now.

Timing has been advanced now so it is behaving much better and less backfires and stumbling when accelerating - I had to drill additional holes in the vacum advance unit and lock this into a more advanced position as I was on 0degress before with the distributor maxed out, moving the distributor one tooth was too far.

Here is a quick video of where it is at so far:

@ToMitz

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Small update again. Just got it back from having the wiring redone for my stereo, Amp, vacuum pump, fuel pump and radiator fan. 

Ready to plumb up the vacuum pump to make sure it works with the booster and mount it for real! 

Then time to get her legal. 

IMG-20190524-171010.jpg
IMG-20190524-170952.jpg
IMG-20190524-170958.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

2 steps forward, 10 steps back it seems...

After driving home from getting a fresh WOF, it started running a bit rough and got very clickety clackety.

Parked it up at my bro's house, pulled rocker cover off and found this...

IMG_20190611_171547.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• 1 month later...

Well she's back up and running again.

Head went back to engine builders to get some shims installed al align the adjusters more to the center of the valves, added more of a radius on the adjuster, changed the type of oil I am running.

Found the new valves have more of a contact patch on the valve also as the original set had a large chamfer but the new set is much much smaller.

Hoping with the above modifications it will not happen again. Engine builder seems to think the oil I was running could have contributed to the issue.

IMG-20190713-213219.jpg
IMG-20190713-213226.jpg
IMG-20190713-213408.jpg
IMG-20190713-213418.jpg
IMG-20190713-213425.jpg
IMG-20190713-232408.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Small update again.

Got some dyno time in to get these carbs sorted. I made ~170HP a 5000rpm, I couldn't go higher due to being too lean, tuner seems to think changing from 38 to 36 chokes/venturi's should fix this, Have these ordered and will see.

For some reason they also reversed the distributor modifications I had so I could reach the peak timing without vacuum advance... I am now getting surging and bucking (feels like a really bad misfire) when cruising at 100k - You guy got any ideas? Fuel? Timing? The timing is 10 degrees static and 32 full advance at 3krpm.

Image-7.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Have gone from 38mm to 36mm Venturi's/Chokes - This has ironed out the fuel curve but now a bit rich.

Was a mission to get the old ones out as someone had over tightened the locking screws and mis-shaped the venturi and carb housing, had to re hone it for the new venturi to fit back in.

Going in this afternoon to swap my main jets and re-check air/fuels and get the carbs balanced.