Making an open diff limited slip

Carsnz123

So the short version of this story is my brother and I compete in a vintage sporting trials event every year. Our car is a 1926 Pontiac. The problem is the car is big and heavy and we have to get creative as far as making it competitive against the likes of Austin 7s. Unfortunately in the rules you're not allowed to run a welded or limited slip diff. 

So has anyone got a good plan to make the spider gears function less. I was thinking of putting really thick oil in it or Penrite steering box lube. 

tnaRlLR.jpg

I nearly got into a table throwing debate with an apprentice once re: lsd's he was ademant that you could shim a viscous unit, no matter how hard i tried to tell him by shimming the unit it was just going to load the spiders he went " nah to locks them bro". 
so yeah. grab a  sweet hardened washer and pack it out.

Dawg.

The rules no doubt have something about doing this though.

My diff had spider gears inside a 2 piece housing.  By putting hard fibre washers in there (they put pressure on each end of the axle shaft where they meet at the center, acting as a clutch with a 1 inch diameter) it limited the slip, at least until the washers wear down a bit.

Have heard of putting lead around the spider gears, easy enough to remove later if you pull the diff' apart, and no welding, so no harm done.  Won't break your axle shafts either.

Just do the individual wheel/differential braking. Otherwise you'll probably end up getting caught and banned from the fun.

For bonus points make the left seat person control right brakes and right seat person control left brakes.

Also, can you fit tractor spec tyres to it?

• Like 2