Bens bogan revival

f100_dreamin

• 2 weeks later...

So last Monday I had the day off work, so I removed the rear extension housing, from the trimatic, and the removed the centrifugal governer valves. Sure enough they were sticking, so I gave them a clean up with some scotchbrite, lubed them up and reinstalled them.

This was successful as my first gear issue is fixed, and the gearbox was seemingly all good. I did notice however that reverse took a little longer to engage........................

And then when I went to take the car to work on Saturday, reverse is pretty much non existent now. So I suspect my issue with the first gear has been that reverse was getting engaged as well and as such the reverse clutch pack has failed. 

This is means I’m gonna be out of the drag day. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
39252823694_2323a57158_b.jpg26090474418_bd66b15a5f_b.jpg39064907175_facb1df796_b.jpg

Took advantage of Auckland anniversary, and pulled the traumatic out, screw the guy who decided that the trans sump doesn’t need a drain plug, seems to be a bit of sludge an bits of clutch inside. So have decided to not even bother with it. 

Am going in for knee surgery on the 26th to have a ruptured ACL an torn medial meniscus sorted, so dr reckons I’ll be looking at around 9 month until it’s healed fully (I’ll walk out of surgery but 9 months to fully healed) which means I’m going to sell my dirt bike, and dump the money into this, 

plan is: 

VZ T56 6 speed manual, 

new carb an manifold. 

Have the block and crank machined for a 1 piece rear main seal and regasket/paint up engine

standard oil pump to replace the high volume one that just fills my rocker covers with oil, 

Slap an lsd and a set of 4.11 gears into it (6th gear in a T56 is around 0.5 so should still cruise at good rpm) 

will defiantly wake the old girl up. 

• Like 1

I haven't read all of the words... but have you sorted the strut tops?

If not I think I have a pair of unused 15 year old Nolathane NOS adjustable camber/caster ones in my shed. If you could genuinely use them ping me a PM and I'll check them to be certain they're VL ones (I can't remember)

• 3 months later...

So I failed at selling my dirt bike. Too many lowball offers so I’ll just keep it and ride it next year when I’m given the all clear. 

In the mean time ive stripped the trimatic down, reverse clutch is fubar, 

26922246327_25c88c308c_b.jpg26922246617_af1da1ca0e_b.jpg40891426605_884783d2d2_b.jpg

So I’ve priced a full set of reverse clutches, steels and a full gasket set. So I’ll get them ordered soon and send the torque converter away to be flushed, 

in in other news the wife bought me a set of wheels for this for my birthday, 

39983269690_4afeba0dc2_b.jpg26922238747_18feeb2049_b.jpg

20” VF SS-v factory upgrade rims 

going for that full Aussie spec look with it. 

Scored a brand new set of china spec 225/30/20 tyres for $340 from a guy who bought them and then realised that the profile was too small for his commodore (I suspect it must be a VT upwards) but that size is what you have to run on early commodores as the tyre will foul on the front strut other wise 

26922240037_7965d7af8a_b.jpg

finger for reference, ask ya Mum how small it is. 

So yeah long long story short, failed as a salesman haven’t done fook all since 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I cheated, 

42121998811_4d30c1f323_b.jpg

this popped up on Facebook, scored it for $175,  was gonna cost $160 for the parts to rebuild the old one plus another $40 to have the torque converter flushed (which I will still do as it’s an uprated 2400rpm stall, but it will wait until when I pull the engine later on to regasket it) 

for now it will get me on on the road and mean I’ll be able to actually use the car which will be a novelty as it’s spent more time broken than useable.  

42122005771_28eeebd0aa_b.jpg

Dipstick tube wouldn’t fit under the car, so I’ve improvised with the exhaust bung from my dirt bike haha

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Road test went well, I took the family out everything was good, but I had this nagging feeling that this wasn’t the car I wanted to be, and to make it what I wanted would bastardise it. 

About the same time a post on Facebook popped up (albeit from back in February) of a guy looking for a tidy calais, so I messaged him, a deal was done. And now the car has a new owner. 

Keep an eye out for my upcoming purchase in the projects an buildups forum. 

• Like 3