Raisins 1982 Toyota Corona Mkii GX61

Tender Raisin

The Good The Bad & The Ugly

From inspecting the car all the electrics worked, even the fender mirrors. The interior was mint minus a crack in the dash and the centre vent. Also a small hole in the drivers seat. I wasn’t a fan of the 1g-eu and it was leaking oil from every orifice, fixed to the auto box = a gradual 0-100.

The exterior was fairly straight but the paint was showing its age. Stone chips and a few imperfections were apparent but none of this worried me.

It was advertised as having no rust apart from some surface rust under the bonnet and 2 spots near the boot. I knew it would have more and boy I was right, yet I didn’t know how extreme till later down the track. A wheel well half filled with water was a bit of a giveaway and prodded around the boot for some clues. A few areas around the boot seal became apparent, but me being me haggled the price slightly instead of walking away.  

On The way home I also worked out the suspension all round was rooted as the previous owner had removed the springs for the images in the above post above.

r2i1sezc.nqe.jpg

uibgkhxq.g5d.jpg

heky2baj.zri.jpg

First Things First

• Replaced the windscreen
  • Replaced rocker cover and manifold gaskets
  • Add a sump bung washer to stop oil leaking

And straight through WOF it flew. I was certain it would get failed on suspension, but some how it got through… so I carried on sailing the roads of Canterbury with some wicked body roll.

pedxqvsr.okv.jpg

• Like 8

Tidy Up

I am a bit of a perfectionist sadly so I went straight to work tidying little odds and ends.

• Visors were replaced with some from pickapart as the standard ones were tatty.
  • A dash-mat was made to hide the cracks in the dash.
  • Floor mats were added

I sent the car to a friend’s work to suss the rust in the boot. The rear window would need to be removed to get a bit more, but that’s a future problem. The only pieces I know of left are behind the rear wheels and rear window. I also had the rear bumper painted as it was an eye sore. 

bz3tf0gt.5nc.jpg

eeflcnmt.1bz.jpg

zzo5bllg.3y4.jpg

eamnfhuu.vsy.jpg

y0di0rhd.y5m.jpg

The next job on the list was to replace the cam belt & water pump but I was beaten to it.

Stop Right There!

Its first journey south to the big smoke of Timaru proved to be an expensive one.  Everything was going fine and stopped off home on the way back in Mayfield so I could get laughed at by my father for buying an 80s Toyota. I noticed a faint chugging sound, like the sound of a steam train when it leaves the station.

Hoping it was nothing I left home swiftly and headed for Christchurch. 30ks into my journey I approached some road works and slowed to 50km/h. As I put my foot down to get back up to speed nothing happened, the car stalled and I slowly limped onto the side of the road.

Thinking it had overheated as the gauge was being funny I let it rest for 20 minutes and tried to start it. It turned over but no luck. Thinking the worst such as snapped cambelt I left it alone. So Swann insurance came to the rescue and moved to car to Ashburton. Since I knew it was going to be a while for the tow truck I was just lying on my bonnet in the sun I had around 10 people stop to see if I was alright on a back road which I thought was quite impressive.

Verdict cambelt slipped off. It was old and disintegrating. Luckily The 1g-eu is a non-interference engine so no damage done.

0pq1vefk.f15.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Toyota Fest 2016

I was getting fond of the stock look. Deep Down I wanted it to be Low and on some Wide 14s. But I couldn’t force myself to commit just yet.

I planned to drive it to Cromwell for Toyota Fest in March 2016. A week out when I was cleaning it I realised my WOF had just run out. Took it in and bingo failed on rear struts. Managed to get these two days before leaving and got the WOF the next day.

mayji0de.ujy.png

This would be it first "big drive" since the cambelt incident, so was hoping everything would run smothly. It loved to drink the fuel however and it didn’t like going over the Lindis Pass. Think it slowed down to 40km/h at one point. Had to let all the angry people in their big SUVs past once I reached the top.

lvffkkz1.bre.jpg

aur153nf.jbp.jpg

0ekjiihf.s53.jpg

tygddiax.lox.jpg

Anyway Toyota Fest was a success even got to throw it round 2 laps of Highlands to show its killer body roll.

Goal is to get it ready For Toyota Fest March 2018 at Cromwell again.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Time To Upgrade

So It failed its next WOF on the front shocks ad ball joints, which I knew was coming. So it was time to start spending some cash money, and finally get the thing low. I will keep all the old parts so if for some odd reason i want it stock height again it can be returned simply.

dspec_tt131 from here posted he was parting out his GX61. So I jumped on his modified S13 BC gold struts, to cut out the hassle of building my own. They also came with some RCA's. These have since also been crack tested and are ready for cert.

I also managed to get a brand new pair of MX73 BC gold rear struts and springs.

rkkpfxqi.zeh.jpg

dspec_tt131 GX61

pohryevx.la1.jpg

nuzq1xzh.anh.jpg

j0qkz3uv.0b5.jpg

I have also pulled apart the front suspension and tidied it up. Replacing ball joints, tie rods, sway-bar links, and bushes. The wheel arches also got hit with some CRC Proseal.

tdwn3hpi.v3u.jpg

gfsy0q2i.mrv.jpg

Two months till Toyota Fest….. It’s going to be close.

• Like 6

Opening The Can of Worms

So I was cleaning inside the rear wheel arch to throw on some CRC Proseal as well when i found a rubbery texture inside the guard. Had a look and found this.

jp0e53eu.fou.jpg

f4g5o5oy.4mf.jpg

edqs1u4c.dix.jpg

So yeah nah not a fan of that. The rear arch has been replaced and there were still bits of welding wire hanging off the tacks. One 6cm long. 

Im not keen on replacing at this stage due to lack of funds and i have parts all over the show. It still has a decent amount of strength and cleaned up alright. It will go down on the list of future jobs when it gets bad again.

So trying to keep the rust at bay again, i have rust killed it currently and the top coat was going to be CRC Proseal.

What else does old school recommend? tell me below if there is more i can do to protect it for as long as possible.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Failed Deadline

So I/IT failed the deadline of toyotafest. It was always going to be a tight one, but it definitely got me motivated to get it done. Suspected Blown Head Gasket a month out stopped it from getting there. I just want to bin the 1g-eu, so il keep an eye out for either 1g-ge / 1g-gte / 2jz-ge

Anyway...

After checking the other wheel arch, no damage was found. Further investigation shows that the lower control arms are actually different colours. So my guess is that it was once in some kind of accident.

uv5xnam0.ibd.jpg

I managed to pick up a cheap Altezza LSD. So the goodies swapped into the F-series Diff.

z20g1zd4.oln.jpg

The rear sub frame was dropped and sent off to have the outside lower control arm mount modified to run an eccentric bolt. Hopefully to remove some camber for certification. Unfortunately they brought down the bolt hole more than I showed. I wanted the ability to wind some camber back into it after certification but it can always be changed in the future.

zg4sh0de.s30.jpg
trux5nde.4nk.jpg
isxniowz.e5b.jpg

New front brake rotors, pistons and bearings were all added. Had some issues with the caliper cage not lining up with the rotor. Checked the new rotors, thinking there was a problem, but they matched. The brakes came with the coil overs so I’m not sure how they once worked. Had the cages machined to fit and its together now.

5zwfnxir.pt5.jpg
zqcw5lx0.vtb.jpg

Also Tidied up the rear break pistons and got new brake hoses all round.

Unfortunately with the addition of the RCA’s the lower control arm hits the brake shield. Will need to bend the shield to make it work.

• Like 4

Wheels!

So I have been collecting some wheels.

Set of 14” SSR MK 1’s 8j A-Disk

Pair 14” SSR MK 2’s 7j

Set of 14” Work Equip 03s 3-6.5j 1-7j

chees- was selling his Mk1’s so I grabbed them and had the lips and faces tidied up, and they also got a good polish. These will be the wheels that will go on the car. I’m thinking I may require some 7.5s on the front but I won’t know till the car is on the ground to see how it sits. I also have new hardware for them.

The guards will need to be rolled to fit the wider wheels. If you have any tips on how to not damage the wheel arch chrome let me know in the discussion thread Thanks.

ygas15fk.zzd.jpg
itcpps0x.ffm.jpg

The MK 2’s popped up at a nice price and are like new, so I picked them up. Hopefully another pair will Pop up sometime to make a set.

2ybufu53.eyg.jpg
2nitssgv.1wl.jpg

The Works were only purchased as wheels that will be used for wof and cert duties as the Mk1's wont cut it.

k3n3m0ba.cs2.jpg
mf1ipuxa.q1q.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Shit its good driving this thing again.

pzs4elqc.5oy.jpg

ykob5xlg.jmu.jpg

The picture above shows how much lower that middle muffler sits compared to the rails. You can spot it poking underneath. This will need to be priority one if i want to go any lower.

Also the 3 speed auto hates hills... more than i remember 

jwmwrfy2.j0h.jpg

xqbtjsi1.qa5.jpg

vga0w2fn.nx1.jpg

• Like 8