Electric Fan Conversion

bonkas

Hey Guy I have searched the forum and the interwebs but I still dont have a clear idea in my head how this works.

I am wanting to delete the mechanical fan in my EX when the new engine goes in, this means converting over to electric.

How do these measure the temp and turn on? via OEM temp sensor? need a seperate temp sensor? Do the fans like supercheap, repco etc sell have the required electronic required to start/stop the fan as needed or is this an added extra?

Have seen these which looks good as putting a probe into one of the hose fittings seems like leaky material to me, can I just bung a OEM sensor from another vehicle into my radiator ?

So many questions.. basically I have no idea!

Any help appreciated in this regard.

Those fans come just by themselves and are not all that good. better to get a fan and shroud from a wreckers.

you can get an adjustable temperature probe/sender from supercheap (made by davis craig) which you pop inside a water hose. then adjust a knob to set the temp you want the fans to come on.  I have one in my minor. it doesn't leak

alternatively you will need to get a sender that switches at the temperature that you want and fit it to the radiator or head if there is a suitable water jacket threaded point

I used one of these 

shiftlights5c.jpg

Found a thermo fan switch / sensor at repco that suited the temp I wanted.  Had to tap the hole to suit. But works well.  Made sure I got a two wire one so basically works as a switch earth to the relay for the fan. Other side either permanent power like mine so still works when car is off. Or on ignition so it doesn't.  Was super easy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seedy Al said:

I used one of these 

shiftlights5c.jpg

Found a thermo fan switch / sensor at repco that suited the temp I wanted.  Had to tap the hole to suit. But works well.  Made sure I got a two wire one so basically works as a switch earth to the relay for the fan. Other side either permanent power like mine so still works when car is off. Or on ignition so it doesn't.  Was super easy. 

You can get those radiator hose fittings from Ali-X. 

I have a doo-dad switch like this one

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=25-Temperature-Controller-and-Display&A=112617

Haven't wired it up at this stage though.

Does that controller come with a sensor?  I assume so. 

Probably might invest in one for next build.  I bought my adapter from red line from memory.  Was like $13 anyway. 

If you do go down that route,  measure your radiator hose id first.  Unlike me and guess and end up buying two lol.

• 3 months later...

Still researching ideas on this.. I am on the lookout and have my eye of a few suitable fans with similair sized shrouds to my radiator on trademe.

What temp is ideal for the fan to switch on at? I found these which seem to be reasonably priced: http://www.staparts.co.nz/View-A-Product/id/14094/description/Radiator fan thermostat relay kit activates at 190 degrees F

The idea with the in-line pipe fitting also seems a good way to go too and I could still use this kit.

I am taking my radiator in at some point when new motor is ready to go in car to get cleaned, reconditioned so any fittings can be added then.

Adjustable from 150-250 Degrees F:
http://www.staparts.co.nz/View-A-Product?id=10696&Productid=Radiator fan adjustable thermostat 150 degree F to 240 degre

Digital Controller (Currently can be found on trademe for $99):
http://www.staparts.co.nz/View-A-Product/id/4810/description/Fan temp controller for water and oil and displays volts wit

On 8/31/2017 at 19:11, Seedy Al said:

I used one of these 

shiftlights5c.jpg

I used a similar fitting from Ali, drilled and tapped it to M14 to suit a BMW thermoswitch and wired that to a Volvo fan
What temp thermostat do you have? I have an 82 and my fan comes on at 91 and turns off at 85, it gives the thermostat and radiator a chance to do the work so the fan isn't switching on all the time.

I fitted a (either EA or AU, can't remember) ford falcon fan to mine. Apparently they are the shizzle when it comes to electric fans, pumping out twice the air anything Repco would sell you.

IMG_20141011_081231.thumb.jpg.44e2c2bd9cdd437d43a3daa051ad691b.jpg

I had to cut it up a bit to make it fit, but got there in the end.

Here's the wiring diagram

Screenshot_2014-11-13-18-29-55.jpeg.ba79846e5af83c5ca9497dc7ec64a77d.jpeg

I also put a couple bypass switches in so I can manually override each fan separately if I suspect my vehicle might enter "a state of sustained loss of traction" where the engine may get hot, I can manually turn the fans on prior to giving it some jandal!

IMG_20141108_174140.thumb.jpg.70cffc59362faf8caf9fd59899102c8a.jpg