Eastcapescapade November 24,25,26 - 2017

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okey doke, just a 'how you doing' reminder post seeing as we're under 2 weeks out from this now. 

Friday 24th 

So Highlux/Jamie has secured the use of a Bach in the Hicks Bay region for the Friday night for those interested, there are a limited number of beds/couches so try and be prepared to sleep it rough slightly if you do join us there. Theres no reason you can't stay at the Te Araroa holiday park still if you wish, but please let them know if you do plan to cancel your booking.

We'll have to sort some kind of Koha from those using the Bach on the Friday night as well, I don't know what is a good amount but if we all chip in a few $$ and try not to destroy the place that'd be greaaat.

Saturday 25th

My partner has been contacted by the YHA in Gisborne asking

"Wanted to check if your group of cycle enthusiasts are still coming on the 25 Nov. We haven't received any further bookings."

Myself and VG and our partners have our rooms here sorted, don't feel obliged to stay here if you don't want to, but just wondering how everyone is going for accommodation on this night?

Other considerations

I understand getting prepared for something like this isn't always a high priority, until at least the night before hand.

When packing gear and preparing your bike though, please try and keep in mind though

• Pack light - A bike weighed down with more fuel and things than you need won't be as much fun to ride when things get more technical/hilly/sandy
  • Don't pack too light - You know what you do need. A sleeping bag and a tarp? Enough fuel between stops. Lunch or snacks? Phone charger? Goon sack? Try and share with your other riders common things you can share between you, fuel, oil, tubes, booze and so on.
  • Bike - Is there anything that stands out as being likely to fail? Can you prevent this? Is your bike legal(ish?) 
  • Your gear - Helmet is compulsory obviously. Use your judgement on this one otherwise, no gravel rash injuries please, also something waterproof will make your ride a lot nicer if we do get caught out. 
  • There will be a vehicle and trailer, but its only little, and would rather not be full up with gear in case there isn't the room if someone does break down. 

I'd just like to say how excited I am for this, I hope these long, rambling, suggestive posts don't put anyone off too much, I'd just hate to see someone have a bad time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just had a look online for Gizzy stuff. Ended up tentatively booking a room at Waikanae Beach Motel for @Shakotom, @GuyWithAviators and myself. It’s a ground floor room with a ranch slider outside to where we can park the bikes. They have a BBQ there so we might be able to congregate or at worst there are public BBQ’s a few seconds (literally) away. 

Keen as on a floor or something at the Bach as Shakotom mentioned. Exciting stuff! Can’t wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, HighLUX said:

@Shakotom

Yeah should be sweet as for the Friday night.

If someone has a bluetooth music speaker device thing that would be grand for playing some party beats on Friday night. Bach is costing us a couple of boxes of beers, can we stash those on the trailer for the trip down @johnnyfive?

Most def. 

• Like 1

@HighLUX @johnnyfive

id like to save myself and @Archetype a patch of grass to sleep on on friday if thats ok. 

i also have UE MEGABOOOOM that i will bring along for the trip.

Brent would you like me to book a room for sat night at the YHA?

now to get moped going. hopefully light arrives and it looks legit. 

if me and brent where to come over thursday night do you johny have a spot on the front/back lawn to pitch tent (i mean tarp but ya know tent sounds funnier)

@UTERUS you still coming along for the weekend?

• Like 1