File cabinet into tool chest mods

tortron

For a few years I've been pondering how to use the very available and cheap filing cabinets as tool chests. Obviously they are too deep to be a good use of space.

Possibly the best way to do it would be to get several identical ones and mod the drawers so you have one cabinet with many drawers

With this in mind I went and got two not matching ones and set about cutting up a tool chest I already have because it was more work.

Paid $2 for this

ETOaWBs.jpg

Because I want to replace these useless steel on steel trays

8Ze6aKi.jpg

So pull a drawer out and strip it down

XWL9gYS.jpg

IeRlsAY.jpg

If I had 2 matching cabinets I would have just had offset drawers down one side and some small shelves on the right. I didn't so I decided to do extra work and shorten, narrow, and chop top all the drawers to have 2 equal columns

JM5Nnzv.jpg

Everything will be riveted except for one long side which is stitch welded back on the base.

zL1juA8.jpg

Double up the steel on the front panel for strength and so I don't have to replicate the bends at the top. (I really should have made a bender first I guess)

vwTpXJp.jpg

Perhaps the welds will improve by the last one

Again, as the drawers were different I have done extra work so they will like the same. I won't use the original handles, will set the drawers back far enough to clear some handles, which I will make to match the britool top box

bzLY1tF.jpg

With them fitting something like this

uDhuBng.jpg

I cut the old centre rails out but the side ones are in there really well. So will have to get some more cutting and grinding disk's. The file rails cut short enough all right and will just need to rethink some stops

I plan on 4 equal size drawers on top and then Il rethink the bottom area when I get to it. Either a couple of big deep drawers or just a space to jam some plastic tool boxes

• Like 4

i use filing cabinets (cheap!), but agree they are not the best for not-files and are quite deep. they are good for unwieldy things like power tools etc, i put them in the drawers with one of those shallow plastic stacking bins which holds all the bits and pieces, eg grinder wheels and guards etc, grinders on top.

Anyway, nice mod on the old cabinet - are you going to reuse the drawer rollers?

Yes the drawer rollers will be shortened to suit. The file cabinets are a cheap source of them.

I think with the left over bodies of the cabinets I will cut one up to make a door for the other and have a locking cabinet for ???? Something 

11 hours ago, felixx said:

Somewhere I have abut 6 new sets of kitchen drawer rails

Want them? 

The file cabinet provides all I need

10 hours ago, Mr Vapour said:

I have the spot welder and folder here if you need. 

No need for spot welder because the only weld is on that bottom corner. Originally the bends are perforated so a few tacks are equally as strong. I have some steel here for a bender but I have to clean the shit off my bench to make it..... 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...