GuyW/Aviators HJ60 Discussion

GuyWithAviators

Mint truck. 

I want to see something being crushed with that PTO winch, they're awesomely powerful.

Before you Newtech fill the rust holes with the mesh from a fly screen door and/or pop rivet some roof flashing over the holes.

That's the approved method as far as I can tell.

• Like 3

Nice 60 mate

when i had one the rear of the chassis was terribly rusty,to the point of it needed to be unrivited and fixed might pay to check

also the fuel senders were dodgy in these,i replaced mine with a fj40 one NOS from the states and just modifed the float arm ,worked a treat.

im selling rear sliding windows on trademe at the moment if you want to turn yours into a camper

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kyteler said:

Sick.  I've been looking a these recently too, pondering whether to get one, fuck me they're still spendy though.

QFT. 

17 hours ago, toy-mota said:

Nice 60 mate

when i had one the rear of the chassis was terribly rusty,to the point of it needed to be unrivited and fixed might pay to check

also the fuel senders were dodgy in these,i replaced mine with a fj40 one NOS from the states and just modifed the float arm ,worked a treat.

im selling rear sliding windows on trademe at the moment if you want to turn yours into a camper

I believe this one is okay chassis wise, I had heard about that issue though. I will go over it fully soon. 

Yep I already don't trust the sender, filled the tank and it only shows 3/4 full ha. 

10 hours ago, Dolan said:

Badass

Lockers too? 

Nah unfortunately not. This one listed yesterday on TM has them though: https://www.trademe.co.nz/1392949145

Chunky tyres are shit in sand so old all terrains should be mint. Muds in my old pajero and chunky cross plies in my land rover make my bum pucker in soft sand. 

Air down for better performance everywhere off road esp sand. Get a arb style deflator from AliExpress and win for quick airing down! 

• Like 2

A/t's would be better than m/t's in sand, muds just dig holes.

Let your pressures down, like 25psi, 20psi the lowest

Got some proper recovery hooks for next time? Lol and a good snatch strap 

Edit:beaten

• Like 1

This is the kind of information I need haha. I was just super keen to go somewhere today, in hindsight was stupid with no gear or experience. 

Thankfully had a spade and found some driftwood. 

I let air out but no gauge so I dont think it was nearly enough. 

Thanks OS^ for the tips though. 

Enjoying this video for the off road tips, and the music 

• Like 2

On 12/08/2017 at 14:48, Shakotom said:

Convert to spring over and gain all of the heights

That would be so unstable. Mines rolls like a ship in a storm with only 2 inch of lifts. 6-8 would be nasty.

As for rust check the between the seats and doors there is s spot that traps water. Have to lift the carpet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mof said:

Yes! So good

Like this

4WD-KTSD-D-Rapid-Tyre-Deflator.jpg

yeah i got like half a dozen of those for about $30 from ali a few years ago. bloody good things! 

Have a wee 12v compressor that I got from 4wdbits years ago too. If I had a/c that didn't work I'd def look at converting the a/c pump to be used for tyre inflation etc. Don't use compressor much tho as it takes ages and if I air down I usually don't go any lower than 20psi and on my wagons that doesn't make the tyres bag out too unsafely for the road. 

on sand make sure you're in 4wd before you really need it, and practice taking off with a little extra clutch slip/less aggressively than normal. glad you got out with diggin and driftwood. already more sensible than 99./999999% of nzoffroader facebook page verge bashing nongs

• Like 2

• 1 year later...