What diesel engine?

ThePog

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I work on plenty of n04c hino engines through work. Reasonably small in terms of size, common rail setup, turbo. Easy to work on and very reliable and bullet proof. Only common issue is that the thermostat gasket from factory leaks so this is fixed easily and there was a recall on the 3rd fuel filter (one mounted on the engine) due to design which once again is an easy fix. They have a few variations in terms of capacity/output and parts are readily available.

The problem with that Mitsubishi is that it is a Mitsubishi...

So there is some logic to what I am thinking;

One of the things we do involves boxes 6m long, the current wee townace is just a bit too small for that. However we still need to fit in normal places which rules out anything too long.

Normal single cab Dynas and Atlas's are too small in the cab for me to fit, however a double cab will let me mod the seat backwards sufficiently.

Double cabs however have too short a deck and look stupid when they have a long deck.

It has to be a class 2 licence to drive as I don't want to send everyone I employ on an HT course.

A WOF is probably better than a COF

Landcruiser/safari axles give a huge range of wheel tyre potentials, as well as diff locks etc. plus setting up the ride height and stiffness is easier with coil springs.

That red thing looks fucking cool, the proportions are sweet compared to the mitsi trucks.

Yes I know I am a faggot.

48 minutes ago, igor said:

Thinking right outside the square here but have you considered a Unimog or something of that nature?

I have thought about it and they bone me up, but everything seems expensive for servicing and they still cost real money to buy a good one.

I know that too.

Mitsubishi trucks are OK they don't have SOHC 4G63s in them etc. Any truck 6000kg GVM and under can be driven on a class 1 license but will require a COF if it's over 3500kg GVM.

Buy a proper truck, lengthen the chassis and make a four link for the axles? Then you'll get the good commercial diffs, hubs, motor and gearbox. You'll get the option of an easy to fit PTO for a tipper or cane etc.

My 2c.

• Like 5

Hino does that size in 4wd double cab with a decent size deck mate has one. Goes very hard for what it is and much roomier inside cab than double cab dyna/Isuzu 

have had a couple of the 2wd versions as work trucks 

Prob won't get 6m length load on any of the decks but you can always drop tailgate /overhang load / tie a flag on the end 

I always imagined the 6m package would be up on racks, cos we also need a shitload of tools and things, so a 2.6m deck would be enough.

If I could buy the red thing I would but apparently they were a fairly rare factory option.

I think this is still sitting in Nelson. Obviously not going to work with what you want but hey... I'll put it here just to give the thread some more oldschool flavour....20160308_122018.thumb.jpg.1ff3802efdc86ee2bad21ecb4fb7bcb6.jpg

I was having a yarn with Pog the other day about this. Ive had similar plans for a few years.. but to build with a Bedford K series cab.  This stems from not wanting to lose my legs in a head on accident involving our 4wd hiace that make me want to build a  more 'solid', end of the world,  truck for life.

I ran it past my local certifier, A Barry no less,  last year. He said that I can swap axles and drivetain from a Toyota etc onto Bedford Chassis and he can cert it. But If I lower a Bedford cab onto a Toyota chassis he cant because he doesn't have relevant ticket.  @cletus will clear this up.

My engine choice, based on lots of experience having owned one, will be the Isuzu bighorn 2.8 turbo. I want to build as light as possible and remain well within wof weights and as small a size as possible. If I can load sheets of ply in the tray I am happy. Will build removable wooden camper box for camping trips.

• Like 7

Double cab 4b powered isuzu nkr. Slam dana front diff and a divorced transfer case. Sorted.

You can get double cab nks/nps sometimes but not often.  

Diffs and transfer cases on the nks/nps range are strong as. We have plenty of customers that run huge floatation tyres and overload the fuck out of their trucks and the only dead trans/diff stuff I've seen is due to no oil or running in 4wd on the road for weeks in end coz they were too cheap to buy a vac solenoid for $200 (cost the dude two diffs and a transfer case in the end hah)

Isuzu current model nps aren't too bad for space. See plenty of lads over 6' driving them happily. V electronic tho but that shut doesn't give much issue.  Even the dpfs. BUT they can be deleted these days. A+ would own.

• Like 2

The nkr's seem expensive, and I do not have millions to spend... Plus I like having a decent project on the go, it keeps me sane.

The other option I have thought about is a 80 series landy or lwb safari, removing the body and either mounting a cab or building a cab from scratch for it. The advantage is that the running gear is all sorted, you just need to work out the pedals and steering stuff. Plus if you built it from scratch it could have sweet Russian military styling...

How hard can it be?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Also this popped up on my searches today, pretty much explains why not a unimog;

https://trademe.co.nz/1392719972

20k with no cof..

i breifly entertained  the notion of trading my L/C80 Sahara on this, but he never replied as to what it needs to recomply it. also appears to be an amount of indecision between what parts interchange from the more common U1700