What diesel engine?

ThePog

I am planning out a long term project and want to start researching suitable engines.

It will start with a Dyna or Atlas, and maybe the engines available in these will be sweet, but I am probably going to be looking for a reasonable amount of grunt, so a 2.4 2L wont cut it.

I want to keep it as simple as possible, so it would need mechanical injection (or easily converted to it), 4 cylinder for the length, maybe a turbo, no electronics at all.

It would need to be reasonably grunty, parts readily available and cheap and bulletproof...

Any suggestions?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13B-T? 

Ya can convert a 1KZ to mech inject if you want, or turbo a 5L. What is its intended purpose?

I've made some decent power from a turbo 3L without damaging the engine but tbh it might be under a bit too much stress for heavy duty work. It could drag 3Ton of car and trailer very happily though.

Yea I had second thoughts after posting that. I want something truckish, low stressed but with some grunt.

The 100 series dyna 4wd system/transfer cases are mighty according to the local truck wrecker. I had a serious chat with him about what would make a good base. He did not rate the equivalent Izuzu, and was indifferent to the Nissans. I am a bit of a toyota fag myself.

Ok pm me early next month when I'm back in the country 

Its either done 147k or 174k its a 1990 nks 250 got a hydraulic tail lift 3m deck got two sets of tyres road and mud grip 

Gear linkage needs a grease was hard to change from 3rd to 4th but got lots better after I had finished towing out a 6x6 truck (I hardly ever use it except to get fire wood off a mates steep farm block)

Its 99% ready to take it for re vin ,just got to find out why wiper motor sounds like a concrete mixer and and spray a couple of panels where I cut out some rust ( around the back near the cab locks where they all go)

Offers

I originally for spares for my other trucks but just went so well so kept it