chasinthemirages '88 VL Royale

chasinthemirage

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been making a list of things that need to be done, hopefully this will take care of a few reliability and potential cert/WOF issues

• Oil and filter
  • Fuel filter
  • Air filter
  • Recore radiator
  • Thermostat & gasket
  • Radiator cap
  • Release bearing
  • BOV
  • Inlet manifold clean & gaskets
  • Check injector & coolant hoses
  • Drive shaft loops
  • Diff & gearbox oils
  • Reverse lights
  • Fit speedo cable
  • Check cam belt
  • Drive shaft U/J's
  • Front brake pads
  • Rear brake shoes and cylinders
  • L/H floor damage
  • Surface rust on rear brake line
  • Rust in spare wheel well and seal channel
  • Alarm
  • Secure intake pipe brackets
  • Check ignition timing
  • Rust kill and paint radiator support
  • Replace steering rack boots
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, scooters said:

Did any disc brake rear Vls come into NZ? 

Iv looked for one but can not find

Calais had disc rear ends but the diffs don't come up for sale very often. I'd like a disc rear end, even though I've just forked out for new shoes and wheel cylinders I'm still in two minds about converting this to VN discs/ swapping the entire diff

1 minute ago, chasinthemirage said:

Calais had disc rear ends but the diffs don't come up for sale very often. I'd like a disc rear end, even though I've just forked out for new shoes and wheel cylinders I'm still in two minds about converting this to VN discs/ swapping the entire diff

You would think with names like Royal and gts disk break rears would be all over the show but no drums for life

20 minutes ago, Threeonthetree said:

ChasintheRoyale

Everytime I read your user name I assume that your name is Chas and that you are in a Mitsubishi Mirage.

This is the website for you: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/

Haha Kyteler has told me the same thing! Calaisturbo has been so much help so far, the guy I bought the car from has put me in contact with a few people too which have been really helpful.

3 minutes ago, tortron said:

1/4pounder with cheese/royale

Does it dose pretty hard?

It does actually, hasn't got a BOV  at the moment. Just a bung in the manifold. I was really lucky though and managed to score an OE BOV for cheap so I've got that to fit at some point.

No doubt you know all the ins and outs of these things diff wise.

you can swap in a VN diff to get discbrakes and LSD but they're 20mm wider. Will be 28 spine also which is rad as current diff will be 25spline.

you should also be able to convert your current diff to disc brakes by using VN backing plates and calliper/disc:handbrake assemblies but you'll need to change the axle seals to disc brake ones other wise you'll leak diff fluid out the seals (been there done that) but you'll still be open diff

pretty sure you can also get 28 spline LSD Center's which will fit into your housing changed to take 25 spline axles. Try steelies gears. 28 spline Center's will fit straight into your Diff, but finding 28 spline axles for VL length won't be something that will come cheap.

also wagon diffs have different shock mounting locations/style but the rest is the same.

• Like 2

@Shakotom the last VL I had had VN discs on the rear, it braked pretty well but the open diff was a bit hopeless as far as traction went. Really not sure what to do for the rear end, part of me wants to do LSD and discs now so I only have to get cert once but I don't own a car that goes so I really need to get it legal. Tempted to raid a VN this weekend...

• Like 1

Thanks man, pretty pleased with how it looks. It's on King Springs, the dude I bought it off thinks their standard height springs. It's got huge tyres on it that were left over from my Chevy so maybe it looks lower than it actually is? Will be interesting to see how it looks on the cop steelies I've got coming for it.

• Like 1

I've always liked the look of them, took me awhile to buy one though due to the bogan/rb thing. I have the complete set of the wheels on the rear but due to the offset of them I'd have to roll and possibly pump the guards which I don't want to do. I'm hoping to find a set of the mesh E34 wheels that are on the front though, same size as the cop steelies so shouldn't have any issues with swapping between them after cert.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

I've always liked the look of them, took me awhile to buy one though due to the bogan/rb thing. I have the complete set of the wheels on the rear but due to the offset of them I'd have to roll and possibly pump the guards which I don't want to do. I'm hoping to find a set of the mesh E34 wheels that are on the front though, same size as the cop steelies so shouldn't have any issues with swapping between them after cert.

I had a full set of x chaser rims center caps and lug nuts. I'm still pissed I got rid of them. 

Are they rear to find these days ?