no oil pressure. fresh rebuild.

MightyJoe

Yeah was reading all this last night but fell asleep.  No point in relying on an oil light here.  Get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see if its actually building pressure etc. Packing the oil pump is always a good idea. I know you have concerns about oil filter blockage.  So this may have happened to ome person once. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it as oil pump priming is near essential. 

But I strongly feel them pains.  I rebuilt my 5m and chased oil issues for a while.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MightyJoe said:

This is a tiny Welch plug?  If so then yes I did that myself. I also installed the grub scewws each end of the gallery. There is no oil escaping anywhere. I think I need to find a manual oil pressure gauge and hook it up. I would hope they checked everything tbh as I've never assembled a bottom end before I wanted it to be right hence why I got them to assemble the short block.  Oil pick up pipe is my only logical step I think. If there's nothing obviously wrong there I'll have to take the engine out and strip it back down I think. 

Yes you have put it in right. You need to hook an oil pressure gauge up to it to see if it's actually got any pressure. I can't recall however is the oil pickup bolted or a push fit in the block. If it's a push fit are you sure the oil pickup pipe hasn't dropped out?

the oil pickup is pressed into the block. some early ones were threaded apparently. not mine. the machine shop removed it and i hammered it back  into place with some wood to stop the end getting damaged.  

there was some oil pressure there, as i removed the pressure switch completly and turned the engine over and there were a few pulses of oil, but they barely dribbled out of the block tbh, i'd expect it to be making a mess of the inner guard 

• 3 weeks later...

My xflow motor doesnt build pressure for ages, and it loses it easily after the engine is turned off (to the point where I can hear it dribbling back down to the sump as soon as I turn the engine off). I never figured out what it was, but I bought a mechanical pressure gauge and it did build pressure eventually, it just took longer than any other car I have ever had. I have been running the engine for 4 or 5 years at this point and it has had a rebuild in that time (not oil related) and I have never seen a problem. I have a high pressure/flow oil pump fitted too from Burton

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I\ve been playing with this on and off forever now, made the decision to pull the sump and worst case was realised. bearing material in the bottom. not good. I've made the decision the motor has to come out again. bit fed up about it but theres too much metalic in the oil. im only kidding myself. hopefully its a fresh set of bearings needed and nothing more.  plus actually working out why it won't build pressure. 

• Sad 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi i got the motor back together this weekend. I gave it back to the machine shop and he stripped and hot tanked the block again. he checked all the bearings and there was nothing wrong with them, huge relief, much confusion on the shiny oil. its Lucas run in oil, high zinc for the flat tappet high lift cam  so i don't know if i  was just looking at the zinc or what. but in a black drain tray it looked fucking expensive ill say that but he showed me the bearings and the cam. everything perfect. 

Apparently i'd forgotten to fit a bung at the end of the oil gallery, (i meticulously check this i'm sure of it.) but who knows. so the oil was flying past the pressure switch and straight out behind the front cover.  

It has oil pressure now. i primed everything as before and turned it over and over. nothing. was nervous but i put the plugs in and started it anyway. within 2 seconds i had pressure and a shit load of it at that.  so its running, but i have a massive carb problem now. the webers are throwing fuel out by the bucket load and washing the plugs out. i think its cos I've gone from a lynx manifold single dcoe which sat flat to a double weber setup which they now sit on an incline. I've read that this can cause them to chuck fuel out of the cold start mechanism but that's a problem for another thread. 

a bit of red face on my behalf perhaps. i'm still dubious bu just glad i didn't fuck anything. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2