Pushermans mk1 trannie

66gt

On 7/30/2017 at 20:42, pusherman said:

From

day dot I determined this one is staying dead stock standard.  As the kray brothers would have used as a getaway motahh. 

Hasnt run in atleast 2 years.  Has no brakes.  Last reg is march 98. 

I did some snooping via facebook amd the old boy that had the van died in 2014. No kids or family to speak of. 

Aparently he used it to collect his produce in orchard.  And has always been barn stored. Hence the not being rust fucked

Kray Brothers would have been using stolen 3.8 Mk 2 and S Type Jags to get away in and then the Transit to distribute the loot and everything else they nicked.

Riddle me this team.  

Do fuel tanks have non return valves?   Initially inlet on fuel pump was dry.  

If i siphon gas into carby it runs sweet but drop the gas can and it wont pull gas up it kinda just jiggles up the hose a bit (clear pipe for diagnosing)

tbh im verging on biffing mechanial pump and going electrical 

^this, or the pump diaphragm is probably (or also) holed so any fuel it does manage to huff though will be half going into the sump.

have you tried putting the pump inlet in the gas can and taking off the outlet from the pump when cranking to see if it 'pumps'?

if not just chuck a new/spare pump on, its hardly going to be the only thing you will need to replace to get this old shed rolling - if its old enough design you can probably get a rebuild kit

9 minutes ago, igor said:

An old geezer once told me that monkey skin makes excellent fuel pump diaphragms. Reckoned an Arab trader in West Africa told him that when he was working for an oil company over there.

have read this in 1930's round the world on a motorcycle diaries. hard to come by in nz

fuel pump has non return valve in it, otherwise diaphragm would just pump fuel back to the tank.

Fuel line from pump to tank just runs back to the tank, and into the sender unit, no check valves or anything. It has a metal tube which is soldered into the sender unit, which runs to bottom of the tank, with a filter pushed on the end. Try sucking on fuel hose from tank, you should get a mouthful of fuel (not nice!)  Or, remove the filler cap, and blow into the tank, fuel should come out of the fuel hose. Check for rusty tank, or (worse) tank full of water.  

Usually if left sitting for a week or more  the line to the tank drains back, and the fuel in the carb evaporates,  so takes quite a bit of cranking to drag fuel back up. Sounds like you have other issues though.

There is no suckie blow blow on that petrol hose.  And definately no one way valve on fuel pump.  

Is this the point where we stick a sick az polished drop tank in the back?????

so tank out.  I drained all the old gas.  It had a varnishy smell. Eeew old!!

Soooo how do u get one of these lowered?   

Told my dad im keeping this on standard.  And he said i wont be able to.  He said i would lower it within a year.  

Fuck that il lower it now.  

But im more used  to chop/ swap springs and whack blocks in.  

Howdya do it on one of these? Reset leaves? 

2 hours ago, pusherman said:

Howdya do it on one of these? Reset leaves? 

pretty much yes. But leave yourself a bit of suspension travel. Not enough room to flip the axles on top of the leaves, despite what some internet experts will tell you. If you want to go real low then it is a major job. The rear on these sit quite high, you can lose 50-80mm of ride height, depending on where it is sitting at the moment. There were several different springs fitted to these vans, depending on the weight rating. If yours has 5 or 6 leaves in the rear, you can remove one or two, and that will lower it a bit, and soften the back up at the same time. They are designed for carrying heavy loads, and drive quite crap empty, as they sit too high and too stiff in the springing dept.

The front not so much.  Measure between the axle and bumpstops at either end. Leave yourself at least 50mm of bump travel.

You can check out the "lowered" height before doing any mods by loading it up with wheels, paddling pools full of water (yes I have done that!) or anything else heavy ;) 

You got it running yet?

• 2 weeks later...

A real life genuine "barn find" then!!!

Points and condensor same as any Cortina etc with Motorcraft distributor. But they will probably ask for the rego of your Cortina! .......... (Oh, check it is Motorcraft distributor and not Lucas (crap) )

• 4 months later...