64Valiants 1969 low light kombi

64valiant

How complete is my kombi? Has doors wheels and few other things. Missing a large amount of stuff. But will find it and I think I still have some crap to still pick up from the vdub shop. Or maybe not. Will talk with aiden tomorrow. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We put a whole new front panel on  I recall it took me less than a day to strip and fit plus clean up behind where you had rust forming but would never be able to get to it with out the panel removal , wouldn't radically modify it they are becoming seriously worth good money ,custpmer had his one valued for insurance and that was tens of thousands more than he spend on full strip down  

yea low lights are not huge money like splits but we wont be selling this buss unless shit hits the fan massive, so we shull be doing what we want to it for us really will lower it to a nice practical height put a subaru engine in the back and do the rest classic style. but yet to see how we get on. could end up patch panels and malty colours and on the road.

ive searched for the last 3 hours to try find this bay window in aus for photo reference. gave up hopefully some one will have a photo of it for me now ive asked for one.

• Like 1

Well this is awesome Greg, can't wait to see what you and mrs64 do with it, Suby convertion sounds good, even a povo spec 2.0 is better most stock vw engines.

Thought about the 6 cylinder suby, 3.0 ltr I think, might be simpler than a turbo?

• Like 3

The turbo might be a very late after thought when it does come to it. Mainly for psssssshhhh sounds cause lol who would have ever thought a kombi to make those noises. 

So will start with the ej25 and go from there. 

Pretty excited about starting it. So really need to get my a into gear and fix the valiant. 

• Like 4

you will be a most excellent welder AND grinder by the end of this! 

Looks pretty much like my old blue one probably was under all the bog (had front discs and a 2.1l so it got far more love than it deserved, even from stupid 19yo me)

Did the old owner abandon it after getting it blasted, seeing the holes, with the shops quote for fixing it all being the fatal blow?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, azzurro said:

Did the old owner abandon it after getting it blasted, seeing the holes, with the shops quote for fixing it all being the fatal blow?

The weird thing is that he had been told a total of what the build would be and had heaps of time to say no don't go ahead on the job. But they went ahead with it and then couple months later they hadn't heard anything back from him and he just became really hard to deal with. They ended up trying to sell it on trade me for 3k and had no luck at all. I said I'd give him 800 dollars they said no they had been offered 1000 for one door........ Vw people are crazy. I then emailed him going at 1500 and settled at 1800. So I don't know what he was upto. He still owes the vdub shop money for the work/sand blasting of the buss. Aiden and I have a funny feeling he lives in Australia now and just gave up on it. 

Also the side doors are huge. Don't fit in the boot of the wagon. So roof it was. 

20170731_180229.thumb.jpg.2f613ab03aa63c87850085c8a5d3e40b.jpg

20170731_180235.thumb.jpg.c82f1a4c89c840664926f18ce41704ea.jpg

• Like 5

The guy I did the kombi for piped in to the workshop to day so I asked him about the panels the good ones were only about $50 more expensive plus he's got a 2l ( I think he said 914 engine in it ) scary at over 100 kms and your over taking going up hills , his own words lol

• Like 1

So @Mrs 64valiant wrote of her golf the other day. So we now need to buy her a new car. Well why not her buy my subaru out back and I just get the kombi done. Can't be that hard right? Got the beetle driving in 21 days hahahahaha 

So I've been on trade me tonight found out ej20 engines are actually rather bloody cheap. 

https://trademe.co.nz/1386690002

Don't know which one I linked now but there where even ones for 300 dollars haha. 

A crap load cheaper than a rotary conversion. 

@Evan just said pick a part has engines for like 200. Sounds like I might be off to pick apart.....

• Like 6