Jag XJ6 Series III running funny

Slacker_Sam.

Last weekend I committed automotive suicide and bought a cheap Jag XJ6.....Its a real dog.

The problem is over more than half throttle the motor just pops and farts and will not accelerate. Under half and its fine. It seems to run pretty sweet at idle and cold start. It will rev freely in neutral. Its a 4.2 Injected. I'm thinking possibly the airflow meter is playing up? But the whole thing is very yuck to work on.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slacker_Sam. said:

Last weekend I committed automotive suicide and bought a cheap Jag XJ6.....Its a real dog.

The problem is over more than half throttle the motor just pops and farts and will not accelerate. Under half and its fine. It seems to run pretty sweet at idle and cold start. It will rev freely in neutral. Its a 4.2 Injected. I'm thinking possibly the airflow meter is playing up? But the whole thing is very yuck to work on.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Automotive suicide fucks that's funny. You're a brave man taking on a shitter Jag. Pull the engine and dump a SB Chev or Lexus V8 into it. There will be a few Barry's that know what the issue is

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I've seen motors that duck out under load cos they had fucked spark plugs. 

I'm sure Bert will do you a good deal. Puhuhuhuhu

Me old mate Bert. I don't think I can handle him telling me how great his Datsun is again.

Stupid question but have you checked the fuel tank for water? Jags block the drainhole under the fuel cap, they fill up with water and it goes into the tank, earlier ones have drain plugs at the bottom I dont know about a series 3, but I guess its the same.

Sometimes they drive ok, but when you accelerate, or go round a corner the water can wash up and get sucked into the motor causing it to cough and die. Its a crazy design fault.

Otherwise I guess its airflow too.

• Like 3

fuel filters clogged? would explain while it will rev in neutral but not under load.

the pump's in the boot there should be cheap filters upstream of the pump and the main filter downstream.

- Also don't put a SBC in it (been there done that)

• Like 1