2 Trailer Loads of Death... Mostly Gyro X build thread

Raizer

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing too exciting, but everything counts right?

First order from Canada arrived the morning after boxing day, still can't believe how fast it got here!!

MYGcBmd.jpg

Malossi Multivar, Stage6 torque control clutch with matching bell, lightweight driven face and some tuning rollers etc.

My boy gave me an impact driver for Xmas, fuck after using it once I wish I had got one years ago!!  So handy!

p5s8s99.jpg

This arvo I stripped the side of the engine again, real pain to tune the CVT on these things since it needs to be jacked up and have all the fuel lines and the brake cable etc all removed to access the variator.

pu0tJwa.jpg

Spot the difference :P

maozDKv.jpg

Set it up with medium/orange clutch springs at one line over the lightest adjustment, Malossi yellow "Dio" contra (the white one that came with the Multivar is a lot longer than stock) and 6x 4.5g Polini rollers.
Tried to test ride it, but I'm getting either major clutch or belt slip and it doesn't want to barely move (headbang)

Went to pull the side back off to investigate, but got distracted and have started making a decent fuel pump bracket and replacing all the fuel and oil lines (again) so they will no longer run over the side of the engine.

My parcel from Japan has been "out for delivery" since 8:45 this morning, guessing I won't see it till Wednesday now :doubt:

• Like 2

Looking to get to the bottom of the drive line slip I pulled the side off again to find this mess

n5vfXOi.jpg
VvJbQGM.jpg

Figured it was binding hard enough to hold the clutch bell and cause slip, so out with the faithful old angle grinder to search for some clearance

wVD1Ipl.jpg

Also notice the fixed face?   Turns out it is slightly thinner than stock and never fully tightened up so it wobbled a little catching on a gear in the kickstart.
The KN roller kit I got ages ago came with a couple shim/tuning washers so I used them to adjust it and get it tight.

Swapped in a set of 5g rollers
N00TBAu.jpg

Started first kick and made a horrible high pitch buzzing noise, quickly shut it down and pulled the side again
IarlQ19.jpg
gC7cnv4.jpg
Now that it's even and also spaced out a touch by the washers it's rubbing right around now!
Swapped the stock one back on, going to see if I can machine the edge of the alloy one a bit thinner to try gain some clearance back.

So after all this I get it all back together again, fire it up, give it some throttle, 5500rpm the clutch engages and it still slips like anything resulting in the scoot barely moving at all >:D(headbang)

Thoughts on venting the clutch cover?
HvQKG3R.jpg
Was thinking of cutting a slot to both cool and clear the clutch and some vent holes, I'm just a bit wary of cutting it up since it's the support for the left axle!

• Like 2

2 days with Japan post, 5 with NZ post...

IMG_20180103_170224.jpg.74c45041c03c1795f3bc6b414406b0ca.jpg

Much excite!

IMG_20180103_171555.jpg.ba3afa79c021d51597921cba03b3df28.jpg

Steel jigsaw lol

IMG_20180103_181253.jpg.5eecdbe4d682a5f327b5140d7d81cd1f.jpg

Goodbye DIY pipe

IMG_20180103_184323.jpg.59fdd983f050272c0ae3c11bb9d08cfd.jpg

IMG_20180103_184341.jpg.2ede2483a5f9007c3b329d79e971d934.jpg

Need to ditch the license plate mount as it fouls hard on the pipe and find somewhere else to put the plate

Still jetted a fair bit too rich, is on my to do list.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, chris r said:

Awesome dude! Wheelies next plz 

That's a definite goal!       Although I discovered on Greg's that there terrifying to wheelie! haha

Chopped up a stock Gyro torque driver, double sided taped some 120g paper inside the bell and whipped the input shaft out of another engine to try and sand the clutch into shape.

Z0TQmtt.jpg

hFDmTHR.jpg

Got it to the point all 3 shoes have almost full contact

Scuffed up the inside of the bell with 60g and cleaned the lot with acetone on clean cloths.
Fingers crossed that solves the slipping!! Not too keen to test it at 11pm in the pissing down rain though.

Swapped the 95mj out for a 90, needle is lowered 1 clip already so I left it there just for now.
Went to fit a stock Dio needle into the clone carb, but the slide has a lot longer travel in the 19mm clone and the needle is about 10mm longer than what's in a Dio 16mm carb.

And have pretty much figured out where to move the license plate (still need to fully trim and repaint the light panel)

g1DNqaD.jpg

There's a couple places to bolt a bracket to

L54TJsY.jpg

• Like 9

Still a bit of CVT and carb fiddling to go, but yeah it's definitely starting to go well!

Wheelies on Greg's are terrifying, he needs new pivot bushings (I'll order some with by next japan order) and his is 1wd so the front comes up and it tilts right but the right wheel is the drive wheel so it wants to push it left lol

Wheelies on my one aren't too bad, the diff pushes straight and the pivot is tight.

Made a mount for the license plate
wsLAb4j.jpg

And took it for a ride, I think it's a touch lean with the 90mj, sounds to be bogging a bit at WOT, dropping down to somewhere closer to 3/4 sounds and feels a lot nicer.
Don't think the CVT is getting full travel, it's sitting right below 10,000rpm and it's barely pushing 65kp/h and takes a while to get there.

Got back and Sandy pointed out black gunge on the case by the airbox and that the cylinder was oily (and then reminded me she's pointed out the cylinder twice already...)

G99vfoN.jpg

2t oil has been escaping from the headgasket

WAM6Qvx.jpg

Head wasn't as smooth as it felt after milling and the alloy gasket just wasn't taking up the gaps.
EM45icY.jpg
zpyKNAF.jpg

xAEiT49.jpg
2K8xMV4.jpg

Worked my way down from 120 to 1500g paper and finished with autosol on the 1500.
x2dwq9r.jpg

Made a fair amount of silver dust, so there's another bump of compression :D

jGr4jVF.jpg

Has done something to have an effect, I didn't touch the carb at all and it's now lean on the pilot circuit at least and the revs lean hang with even the slightest bump of throttle!  

Will swap a larger pilot in later/tomorrow and maybe go back to the 95mj.   

Edit: the more I think about it, the more likely it seems I've fucked the base gasket when I pulled the head, the exhaust twisted the cylinder around a bit when I removed the bolts.

That'd easily explain why it's suddenly running super lean.

So it'll be off with the whole top end again later today and I'll cut a new gasket from some .4mm paper.

Really really hope to get this thing sorted for Waikato ride and the old school Jap meet!!

/It's running lean, so the carb either needs a clean or to be replaced...           @MopedNZ @GuyWithAviators @Shakotom know WTF I'm talking about lol

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Haven't touched this thing since my last post, but a few goodies arrived the other day

O9SxNdb.jpg

j7lu2Q1.jpg

Went to fit it all tonight, got the old carb/manifold off which took a lot longer than it should have thanks to the auto enricher wiring being nicely cable tied up to the rest of the engine wiring and ran through the frame etc.
XlRf6ji.jpg
Sj9GUs3.jpg

Cleaned up the gasket surface, dropped the new gasket on and...      craaaaaap!
b4HcgCQ.jpg
UWJMml7.jpg
(home cut gasket, bit rough but was fine for the stock reed cage)

Honda used a different manifold face than on whatever model Dio the mani is intended for!   So that obviously is less than ideal! 
Did a bit of measuring and figured I could likely get some time on the mill at my old work and make a spacer, gave up and went inside for dinner.

Had a bit of a brainwave while eating, so after dinner I went back out to the shed.
As hoped the stock inlet manifold happens to have enough meat to seal the Stage6 gasket...

Chop chop!
wxhBwGt.jpg
gi1T5XJ.jpg
o9UwV3Z.jpg

After a lot of filing I ended up with this
05Nxzxq.jpg

FnnRkkY.jpg
That'll do nicely!

BXRMfxP.jpg
Should be easy enough to bend up a bracket to brace the airbox to the stock lug on the cases.

Throttle cable needs a longer inner, so will make something up tomorrow, other than that it's pretty much all there now!

LNFv1xs.jpg

Soooo rich!  haha!
Just threw it on with all the parts it came out of the box with:
120 Main jet
30 Power jet
35 Pilot jet
N68E needle in centre clip.

Have got mains from 80 through to 120 and pilots 30 through 55 as well as 11 different needles, so should hopefully be able to find a decent combo of bits!

• Like 6

Wouldn't move with the 120mj, just blew clouds of eye burning gas vapour.
Dropped to a 100mj, vapour clouds starting to clear up, still woudn't move.

Dropped to a 94mj

Didn't realize the GoPro was too low at the end, was trying to show the petrol flowing through the hose to the powerjet, it sure looks to be making enough vacuum to draw gas!!

Was amazed to see how cold the intake is too, it's warm and humid here, after a short run the carb and manifold is super cold and covered in condensation!

Going to drop it a couple sizes again soon, just got a few other jobs I have to get done first

• Like 3

Need to get a filter ASAP!

Thinking Uni pod, thinking 92 or 94 should be about right jet wise (add the 30 powerjet to that figure and it isn't as small as it sounds)

The variator still has a LOT of travel left, heavier rollers will help that, should see 90k out of it at a guess (heavier centre spring means it needs heavier rollers than before when I was needing 4g rollers)

Exhaust hits the ground on big wheelies, might need a wheelie bar hahahaha

• Like 5