2 Trailer Loads of Death... Mostly Gyro X build thread

Raizer

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting combo, I'm spotting AF35 Dio fork and wheel etc, Beat body (one would be cool for my spare engine...), looks to be possibly a Gyro S engine etc.

Finally took mine for it's maiden voyage with the new engine, lets just say that while it could have gone worse it really could have gone a LOT better!

So I hadn't test rode it since fitting the engine as the front plastics and lights are all off and I've been either working or it's been raining enough to put me off riding during daylight hours.
Decided today was the day, fired her up, started first pop and sat there idling happily while I put put my helmet etc on.
Hopped on and opened the gas, was bit spluttery but once the clutch engaged it mucked around gurgling a bit then took off (I fleetingly thought it was a bit rich on the idle circuit), it pulled fairly strong from about 5k right up to 45k and then took a few hundred meters to climb to a peak of 50k.
I put the initial splutter down to over oiling due to the fact it has rather oil heavy premix in the tank + the pump delivering oil as well.

All was going well, I was leaning side to side trying to get used to the much stiffer swingarm pivot (feels spring loaded now!) and then about 1.5k away from home it starts loosing speed and spluttering a bit at WOT, crap!
Pull into the local BP and fill it with 95 and go in and pay and explain WTF it is I'm riding to the bemused chick on the till.
Took a bit to start then was heavily either 4 stroking or missing right through the throttle range, max sped 30k and taking a long time to reach it!

Pretty crap video of it, the second bit I'm holding it back with minimal resistance.

As my first thought was fuelling I whipped the carb off and checked it was still clean, it was spotless, I still gave it a blast with cleaner and compressed air to be safe, swapped the 77mj to another 77mj I had just to rule out the slim chance it had been drilled or something.
Made no difference.

So next I started down the road of possible ignition/wiring issues.
Since the CDI is still the stock 1983 issue it was my first point of investigation, took the cheap "racing" CDI I've got and added a plug from a chopped up Chinese loom so it plugs right in to the stock loom.
UsgoreN.jpg

Started fine with it, sounded a lot better at low RPM, max speed 20k and still a lot of spluttering.

Next we pulled the cover and fan off to check out the pulse coil
2qFFQc9.jpg
The rust was so bad the pick up on the flywheel was scraping the sensor when it passed!
All the magnets and the coils had crusty rust built up too and something had made a nest in behind the coils, thinking about it there was chucks of something like the nest in the blocked exhaust too lol.

tziA2ef.jpg
Not perfect, but good enough for my uses.
Again no change, other than the dry scraping noise I'd been trying to ignore is gone, might have started a split second faster too.

Then I added a couple of plugs and tidied up the wiring a lot, it's still rough I know, but before there was a mess of bad connections and stuff like squashed female bullet connectors wedged into other female bullet connectors, only intended just to get it running :-[
FZ3ibqC.jpg

No change, fuck it I'm done for today.

Tiding up and since I had the socket in hand I pulled the plug, just cause
zFuc5nK.jpg

As I first thought, pig rich!

I'm now wondering if the enricher (choke) is actually turning off at all, or if it's just staying wide open and causing the 4 stroking etc, could explain why it's worse once it warms up too.

Also, again just cause...
tymdkFm.jpg

That'll take some cutting and cleaver welding to squeeze in!

Got talking with the tuning garage in Japan again, he's put me onto these

z4DGAQI.jpg

Talking $400 just for the pipe and domestic shipping though, so closer to $500 delivered in NZ :shock: No thanks, I'm sure I can buy enough beer to convince a friendly welder to help out for less than that!

Also package one from Japan should be in NZ tomorrow or Monday, package two is being tapped up ready to send in my bud's "scooter bedroom" in Japan right now, so 4 days for that...

• Like 8

I don't even want to think about the mess I'd make trying to do that!

Either a steel blob of crap or an exploding mess of water and shrapnel!

Pulled the carb, stripped it, checked it all over, only thing that stood out to me was I'd put the oring on the wrong size of the little washer on the mixture screw lol.
Fuel pump/vacuum tap doesn't stop flowing even without vacuum, but the float valve in the carb works so that shouldn't be the issue.

Had been using a Gyro emulsion tube, changed to the Dio one
LiQbyO5.jpg
Gyro, Gryo, Dio.

All three carbs had 35sj so I fitted the nicest looking one.
75mj, I've got 2x75 and an 88 so obviously I stuck with the nicest 75.

zAAe1JQ.jpg
Enrichment valve seat looks fine to me, seal might be a little flattened but not too bad.

Put it all back together and... No change.
Crap.

Then Aaron asked when the degreaser I got on the cylinder yesterday while doing the stator would stop smoking?
Had a look on the stator side of the scoot and realized it was exhaust leaking from the head pipe to muffler join, it also dawned on me that while there was a fair bit of smoke coming from this small leak there was next to nothing coming out the tail pipe, hmmm...

Yeah the muffler's blocked almost solid again evtOPNambwkO3TovSzCj.gif.984777d4a01562e70e367994eeb8b73c.gifevtOPNambwkO3TovSzCj.gif.984777d4a01562e70e367994eeb8b73c.gif.

Pipe is now full of hydrochloric acid and hot water, leaving it to soak over night, fingers crossed it's all of the issue!
A super quick blip of the throttle with just the headpipe seems to suggest it is, too late to be running it with no exhaust though haha.

Need to sort out a proper pipe ASAP!

• Like 3

That could actually be rather useful, my stage6 is too long and would take way too much hacking to fit!

5AIhTnu.jpg

First lot of parts from Japan arrived, kevlar belt, variator kit etc...

Thinking of grabbing a pair of lights and making a bracket to set the front end up kinda like this

original_img009.jpg

64c0e715.jpg

Probably not with blue lights though.

• Like 5

Deets on stage 6? 

In response to your question about my aliexpress light, quality seems pretty good. Has a stupid nut/small screw set up that holds lens into housing with a clamp that goes around the outside that's a bit fiddy but once tightened is fine as circled heretempImageForSave.jpg.70b6653ec3554c6192a098fdd43f707b.jpg

apart from that seems sweet quality. Takes same type of bulb as the LETS2 head light (pinched it to go in the lets) and I think is got provisions for a park light bulb also

mounting bracket is pretty solid.  Can't complai for the price. Here's a link 

Look what I found on AliExpress

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shakotom said:

Deets on stage 6? 

Look what I found on AliExpress

Cheers for the link, they don't look too bad at all really, will keep them as an option for sure/buy them anyway cause I'm sure I'll find a use some time.

The Stage6 I've got is a Pro/Replica, it was for a Minarelli but I had it cut and welded for my original Frankenstein AZ project.

EoltLmZ.jpg

Nice pipe, high RPM powerband though and the real problem is I had it set up for a naked frame and now it fouls the Let's plastics a bit.

1 hour ago, MKD said:

have a look for ruckus/zoomer twin lights, they have the steel frame and are on aliexpress - or a honda baja setup if you can find one?

I'm watching a full set up on Yahoo, with the little rack and the indicators and all, if it goes cheap enough I will get my bud to whack a sneaky bid on it.

I'll likely end up with an LED lightbar tucked under the front deck too.

Tipped the hydrochloric acid out of my pipe just before, flushed it out with the hose then managed to burn a bit more carbon out too

ZocHEuo.jpg

Was just starting to cooch at that point, added a stream of compressed air and it really took off!

Pipe is pretty much as clear as I can get it, obviously as soon as I can change to something better I will be!

Result:

key2huq4.y0o.png

Now time to keep tidying it up a bit and start on the bodywork, need to save a bit more $$ before I can really get stuck into it though as I need to get plastics shipped from Japan.

• Like 9

On 7/08/2017 at 11:12, MKD said:

have a look for ruckus/zoomer twin lights, they have the steel frame and are on aliexpress - or a honda baja setup if you can find one?

Got a link to them on Ali?

I remember seeing them on there when I was playing with a naked AZ50, but all I'm finding now is really crap mesh covers.

Have found a few for decent prices second hand in Japan, but there summer holiday is cocking things up.

Still mostly just waiting on parts to arrive, ordered some bits today but thanks to the summer holiday in Japan there not getting sent until the 23rd.

Doing what I can while I wait though, after cleaning out my shed yet again I made up a little bracket for the coil so it's not just hanging out the side any more, finished up the engine-frame wiring connections (besides a few cable ties) and rode it around the block a few times.

KRUwA9t.jpg

Also had a go at plastic welding the worst bits of the step fairing

aixvtqS.jpg

Not great, but it would do for a dirty old matt black squirt over at least.

Also the GC @MopedNZ hooked me up with a lush deal on an eBay/Aliexpress chamber

VPD2XXY.jpg

Just missing the headpipe as it was going to go on an old Suzuki

Plan is to attempt to turn it into something like this

xgmDYUI.jpg

These eBay pipes have a reputation for somewhat decent mid range and a fairly low peak RPM around 9000rpm, I'm going to end up with a longer headpipe on it than stock which will bring the powerband down a bit more, should be a good torquer rather than a top end screamer, which is somewhat what I'm after I think.

Might even buy a TIG welder and attempt it myself, my accountant says a welder can be written off as a legitimate business expense since I have mowers and the trailer that sometimes need zapping up...                                                                                                                            Never used a TIG in my life, fail at mig, so might be a really bad idea lol

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Raizer said:

Got a link to them on Ali?

I used to have them on a favourites list but seem to be gone now. Im sure i found them the other day though but cant see them now lol. Theres these out of the UK though, prettymuch the same thing https://www.shirebikes.co.uk/products/custom-baja-twin-head-light-suitable-for-use-with-monkey-bike-motorcycles

• Like 1