Evans attempt at injecting a V12 Jag.

Evan

On 30/07/2017 at 13:54, kws said:

This thread has inspired me to start playing with Fusion, and damn its a good piece of software, and legit proper free.

I think I need to look at the fusion software to!!! wonder how similar it is to using solid works

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

To me it actually sounds a bit lazy. I was expecting more. So much potential..The doorts are nice but  either the driver is a bit pussy footed with his throttle or its because its just having to haul around 1700 kgs of car which is a big ask if you want your engine to rev up quick. Gearing too high?

Needs that engine in a light weight car.

2 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

To me it actually sounds a bit lazy. I was expecting more. So much potential..The doorts are nice but  either the driver is a bit pussy footed with his throttle or its because its just having to haul around 1700 kgs of car which is a big ask if you want your engine to rev up quick. Gearing too high?

Needs that engine in a light weight car.

It probably weighs a bit less because racecar - the driver reckons "Yair, there's not a lotta Jag left in this, that's why there's no oil leaks, mate."

Ultra short gearing and on-the-limit driving are for circuit racing not multi-day rallies. And you wouldn't put a Jag V12 in a lighter car - you'd use a BMW / Merc / Toyota V12. ;)

On 12/08/2017 at 19:05, Thousand Dollar Supercar said:

I've watched this video so many times. I've never heard another Jag V12 make a high-pitched scream like this and I've seen quite a few posts from people wondering what this car's secret is.

That noise comes from a well tuned set of pipes. It will have a good set of headers and a merge or crossover pipe so you hear both banks in harmony. 

This car is a V8 but gets the same kind of howl: 

Although all this is irrelevant to this thread because hopefully this motor will end up in a boat with zoomies. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So Mr Vapour let the cat out of the bag earlier on about having the Webers act as throttle bodies with the injectors sitting in the manifolds underneath. Hopefully this gives an illusion of running on carbs when really it isn't. Buying 6 of the Heritage setup shown above would be cheaper (maybe) but where's the fun in that? Also I don't think they do an IDF/IDA style - only a  DCOE rep - might be wrong on that one though.

So I picked up a lone 'short' injector from NZEFI to get some basic dimensions off and see if things are going to fit. I have concerns about the amount of real estate between the two banks of intake manifolds and whether or not there is enough space to fit 2 rows of injectors and fuel rails, at this stage I think things are going to be ok.

received_1683905258328853.thumb.jpeg.b924bab16b3ef2d1b5f902ceffbafe72.jpeg

That injector is a Siemens 600 and something cc job that should be more than plenty, it's 42mm front to back.

Originally I then drew up some injector bosses on the model shown a page or 2 back with the injectors put in at a 90 degree angle to the intake runner, so they are spraying perpendicular to the airflow. not Ideal but at the time I was too scared to try and draw them on an angle because I don't know what I'm doing/ learning as I go. 872463 people said that was dumb so I watched some more youtube videos and redrew it with the injectors pointing down, can't get too carried away with the angle because the wiring plug is going to clash with flange the Weber bolts to

20170902_120635.thumb.jpg.98be0feb3464464c93cbfa929840b1e4.jpg

So picked a number of 20 degrees from horizontal and called that good enough, also added a bar to tie all the pieces together and give the fuel rail something to bolt to.

Have ended up with:

59bdc5f289f77_Intake4.thumb.png.2297aa1c5ffbda07262c0c982f5eee1c.png

• Like 6

Also get a load of this for some Carburetor foam. I put up a wanted ad on here for some more 40mm Weber IDF type 13/15s. Someone said there was one on trademe, it's mine now.

When I saw the ad I thought it was weird that it had all the caps on the fuel line pipes and on top plate, no matter it's the right type so I brought it. When it showed up I set about pulling it apart so that I can get it vapour blasted like the other 3 I have, the remarkable thing about this one, is that is appears to be brand new, although it is dull and a bit dirty on the outside I don't think this thing has ever had fuel though it.

20170805_155624.thumb.jpg.3984e0d76892afbdd022eead27e4d45a.jpg20170805_161028.thumb.jpg.5a6e232dbe3f795cba09583e7b74772e.jpg20170805_162233.thumb.jpg.0a0d1bcb4e59643b37c252fa6e5d66c2.jpg20170805_162245.thumb.jpg.9c7fab80cdd099842b13822b3b607069.jpg20170805_162723.thumb.jpg.9dc194ff8472c11b341df5ca658067f2.jpg

Remarkable for something that is 40 years old, Once I get around to getting it blasted I'll slap it back together and put it next to the other 3. Still on the hunt for another 2 if anyone knows of any.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...