Evans attempt at injecting a V12 Jag.

Evan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, as it turns out, that type of Weber is reasonably hard to find. Hmmmm I think. There's some one Ebay but they're spendy. No matter, I'm in no rush, We'll see what happens...

6 months go by, in this time I buy a new desktop computer as I really want to teach myself how to use CAD, problem is I really have no interest in just drawing this that and the other thing as it doesn't relate to anything.

This next bit is a bit of a blur.

Scrolling Trademe one night and a matched pair of 40mm Weber IDF type 13 and 15s have been listed. I immediately hit buy now. So now I have three of these things. These 2 arrive in the post a week later and they are properly shagged, I think Freddie Mercury was alive the last time these carbs had fuel in them. One of the throttle shafts won't rotate at all and they're both just gross. This presented a bit of a dilemma as the carb above could actually function as a carb again, like, it's a happy carb. These two however, nope.

4.jpg.a3af9e359704981eddeb7d55b3caee46.jpg

Don't mind the DCOE on the left, that was stop gap between the first Weber being finished and #2 and #3 showing up. I pulled these two apart, which involved a bit of heat and having to cut the throttle shaft out of both of them, along with a few broken/seized components - Emulsion tubes, idle screws, that kind of thing. They then proceed to do laps of my desk, generally getting in the way for awhile.

• Like 3

cool, I'll  carry on then.

So CAD is a prick of a thing if you are a hobbyist, everyone wants $4.2 million for a licence for a legitimate copy of some software. I was watching a youtube video by ICON 4x4 (go check them out, they build some fancy FJ40s) where he mentioned a free CAD software called Fusion 360, I did a google then downloaded it. Since then I've started to dabble in working out how to use it, which for someone who has no prior knowledge in design work is a bit of a learning curve, Youtube videos to the rescue. 

After much mincing about I managed to draw a thing, well, a series of things, taking the measurements off one of the intake port gaskets.

8.png.771486ee15eb81f70405989493eaa8a0.png

This is where I need to make honorary mention of Ned, he has the ability to make your drawing turn into an actual thing. I send him a copy of the file and the next day I get a text saying he has some things for me.

9.jpg.efd6fcf709f95b1ecfb52f47399bb050.jpg

3D Printed out of PLA, whatever that is, some kind of plastic. If that isn't amazing enough, lo and behold, the things fit.

10.jpg.abd5c38c556bc1dd3bccb2693c2177eb.jpg

The stud holes aren't quite in the right place, they're a couple of mm to close to each other, nothing a quick file can't fix though. The other flange shown above lined up perfectly with the bottom of the Weber. At this point  I think I am the bees knees.

• Like 4

Bead blasting things yourself is all well and good, but you need an air compressor that can keep up and it can take a bit of time. I saw a guy (Brent) advertising his vapour blasting business on here and thought I'd give that a go. and I tell you what, it's the way to go, paying someone to clean up your mess is just so easy. So the two shitty carbs got his treatment, you can see the before and after here.

11.thumb.jpg.b8b7188081a3066620a69d80833fca99.jpg

This has presented a problem though, as the Carb I originally bead blasted myself has a slightly duller finish than the Vapour basted ones, so it will be coming apart tomorrow to get vapour basted, hopefully it comes out looking similar.

Kind of hard to tell the differnet in the photo of all 3 lined up, the one on the right being #1, It is duller than the other 2 in person

12.jpg.19a44383014f02395abe8743c51ecf76.jpg

Anyway, If you have grubby stuff that you don't want grubby anymore, I 100% recommend throwing it at Brent http://vapourblastingnz.co.nz/

• Like 5

If you talk to Rob Whitley (Whitley Tune) he can then use your 3d Prints to make a casting..

Also, I happen to have the same carbs on my Chevette, they have that weird air correction or something tube up top