f100_dreamin's Land Rover

johnnyfive

So yeah, am excited and nervous. Not planning on setting any world records on how fast I build this but I have a vague plan one the structural side of things is sorted (turbo deez, parabolic springs, unsure of colour though) 

spending will involve many slight of hands as the minister of finance is not onboard with the project (hence why I bought it without prior approval) 

Very cool project.

Admittedly i know very little about these things and wheelbase etc but from what i have heard about chassis strength and rust you'd probably be better (mentally and financially) using a later model chassis (like a nissan safari, could use a SWB chassis or chop down a LWB chassis to the perfect length) to give you strong diffs/easily turboed motor etc etc.

I love that they made these out of aluminium!

• Like 1

@flyingbrick Being a swb the wheel base is 88", if I was to replace the chassis with anything I would go for a discovery chassis and cut if down from 100" to the required 88". Thus gaining coil sprung beam suspension 

But will assess the chassis and go from there. You can buy new outriggers and cross members from the uk end of the day it's just metal and can be replaced. You can also buy full chassis (galvanised ones even) but obviously the shipping will be prohibitive haha

@Shakotom yeah I can't wait either!! 

• Like 1

You can expect the roar of tires at a maximum speed of 80kph.

My fatherinlaw had a couple of these, two with 202s in them, until he went all fancy and got a V8 one.

made me laugh coz he's from northern England, Bloody Grand is that one boyo!

Please don't paint it, it looks awesome!

• Like 2

Pretty easy to fix the chassis rust. I have a 110 that im dicking around with, have stripped it right down and will get it sandblasted. Tbh if you are wanting a coil sprung chassis it will be easier to buy a 110 or a 90 if you want swb. 

• Like 1

Yeah I've previously owned a 63 IIa, many moons ago when I first joined the Airforce. So am fully aware of the life of series Land Rover ownership haha (I'm also an Englishman myself, from Yorkshire,) 

yeah a 90/110 would be a great way to go, except that mid 1980's models are still fetching around 20k, plus easier isn't always as fun. The older I get the more I'm realising that I get just as much enjoyment out of building the cars in the first place. 

Hell if the chassis is beyond repair maybe I will build a 100" series Land Rover. The world is my oyster hahaha! (This is less likely due to aluminium body haha)

4 hours ago, 00quattro00 said:

A 200tdi will bolt in pretty much and is a better engine than the 1kz

Better that a 1KZ is a big call, And I work at a Toyota dealership so is a fairly logical way to go for me. 

That being said if a cheap enough 200tdi disco fell my way then obviously it would be a no brainer

• Like 1