Gavs GQ Safari Y60

~Slideways~

9 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Sorry for the hijack, but seems to be some smart diesel peeps looking in on here.

How important/beneficial is a intercooler for a standard application? I have rd28t in my Gloria wagon, straight out of a gq I believe (non-intercooled). Everyone is telling me to put an intercooler on (a lot of whom don't own turboed diesels), but is it necessary? Or do I need to measure the EGT's and/or intake temps first to decide? Will I see any benefits if the EGT's and/or intake temps are OK to begin with?

An intercooler should lower EGT's, increase power and economy. No downside really. 

But yeah, EGT is worth it just to see what is going on even if you don't want to add more fuel.

This is what I use and it works very well:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Drove this to Tauranga with my heavy tandem trailer and found the water temp would climb on long hills unless you are in 4th or even 3rd. 

EDIT: EGT's were still well under 600deg pre turbo.

EDIT 2: An intercooler joiner blew off some time after Taihape. Duct tape fix.

Its a brand new (well a few 1000km ago) triple core copper/brass upgraded one made in the UAE for like I don't know, deserts or sand drags? When I fitted it, the water temp would sit rock solid at below half way no matter what I did, even towing the same trailer with a rolling body 200sx on it.

So I'm pretty sure its because I haven't removed the w2a radiator which will be restricting air flow to the radiator and A/C condenser. With the A/C on the temp would climb on hills, with it off the temp would be ok unless really letting it work hard in 5th. On the flat it doesn't move, so I think having a 3rd radiator in front is the problem which makes me glad I went for a top mount interheater.

Maybe a FMIC wouldn't block so much?

On the way home it was getting dark and colder, and with out the A/C on it wasn't a problem.

Another conclusion is that towing about 1500kg it doesn't have enough power, I've barely added any fuel so hopefully the standard 10mm pump can provide enough.

Did you replace the thermostat? You shouldnt be able to overheat it only towing 1500kg.

1 minute ago, 00quattro00 said:

Did you replace the thermostat? You shouldnt be able to overheat it only towing 1500kg.

I haven't because it has always been rock solid, only reason I replaced the radiator is because it had a leak which wasn't worth fixing since it was 27 years old. Decided to get a triple core because of towing stuff.

Thermostat could possibly cause it if it is stuck partially open and aggravated by the lack of air flow from old w2a jobby. Might as well replace anyway though.

I've towed 2000kg+ with no problem, but that was before the w2a radiator was in there, it needs to come out either way since I binned the w2a stuff.

4 hours ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Drove this to Tauranga with my heavy tandem trailer and found the water temp would climb on long hills unless you are in 4th or even 3rd. 

EDIT: EGT's were still well under 600deg pre turbo.

EDIT 2: An intercooler joiner blew off some time after Taihape. Duct tape fix.

Its a brand new (well a few 1000km ago) triple core copper/brass upgraded one made in the UAE for like I don't know, deserts or sand drags? When I fitted it, the water temp would sit rock solid at below half way no matter what I did, even towing the same trailer with a rolling body 200sx on it.

So I'm pretty sure its because I haven't removed the w2a radiator which will be restricting air flow to the radiator and A/C condenser. With the A/C on the temp would climb on hills, with it off the temp would be ok unless really letting it work hard in 5th. On the flat it doesn't move, so I think having a 3rd radiator in front is the problem which makes me glad I went for a top mount interheater.

Maybe a FMIC wouldn't block so much?

On the way home it was getting dark and colder, and with out the A/C on it wasn't a problem.

Out of interest, where did you get your copper triple core from? Ive been thinking about getting one for mine just for piece of mind.

How hot were you water temps getting? With air con on and climbing big hills when loaded up mine can creep up to 90ish degrees on the Auberins. Usually high 70s/low 80s when not loaded and cruising with aircon on, and mid 80s with air con on and no trailer up big hills.  It definitely runs a few degrees cooler with the air con off. My water temp probe is in the top pipe which you can just see in the photos I posted.  I'm about to service the viscous coupling as they are known to cause a few issues and mine isnt fully locked up when hot (well when i've checked after turning the engine off).  Could be something worth considering.

When I'm towing the race car up the Bombays back from Meremere it gets a bit of a hiding, so I converted the headlight washer bottle into a radiator sprayer that mists with two jets onto the intercooler and radiator.  It definitely makes a difference.  Pre intercooler days I'd see up to 10 degrees of water temp difference so I know it works.

To the other poster with the RD28, definitely fit a cooler if your able to.  You may lose a smidge of response but more power, less heat and better fuel mileage all make for it being worth while.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Out of interest, where did you get your copper triple core from? Ive been thinking about getting one for mine just for piece of mind.

How hot were you water temps getting? With air con on and climbing big hills when loaded up mine can creep up to 90ish degrees on the Auberins. Usually high 70s/low 80s when not loaded and cruising with aircon on, and mid 80s with air con on and no trailer up big hills.  It definitely runs a few degrees cooler with the air con off. My water temp probe is in the top pipe which you can just see in the photos I posted.  I'm about to service the viscous coupling as they are known to cause a few issues and mine isnt fully locked up when hot (well when i've checked after turning the engine off).  Could be something worth considering.

When I'm towing the race car up the Bombays back from Meremere it gets a bit of a hiding, so I converted the headlight washer bottle into a radiator sprayer that mists with two jets onto the intercooler and radiator.  It definitely makes a difference.  Pre intercooler days I'd see up to 10 degrees of water temp difference so I know it works.

To the other poster with the RD28, definitely fit a cooler if your able to.  You may lose a smidge of response but more power, less heat and better fuel mileage all make for it being worth while.

It was from a local place in Wellington, think it was Capital Radiators. They had to get it in overnight so I assume any supplier could get one. It was $500+ though, definitely nice quality and I plan to keep this for ages so made sense.

In fact I would say its one of these: https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/engines/auction-1550870794.htm?rsqid=d0251483d3fc4b67a795fb5eb821d040 

Water temp wise I only have the factory gauge, which is probably not very accurate, but it normally sits rock solid at 1/3. Most of that drive it was either there or half way, my dad came for the drive and he drove for a bit. He didn't realise letting it chug up a hill in 5th would raise EGT and therefore water temp. It got almost to the top of the gauge, but I happen to see it and told him to change gear then it dropped down again.

So basically in 5th up a long hill it was an issue, if you changed to 4th it would cool down slowly. If you gave it lots of revs in 3rd the EGT would drop right down and the water temp would drop right down too.

What's yours like for towing your race car? Mine needs more fuel to maintain speed up hills, so I'll be getting the screw driver out soon. Then if that's not enough I'll get into the water meth.

4 hours ago, Mof said:

Wow really 

I get around 500deg just cruising at 110km

The highest I've seen is 750deg

Do not want cracked head. 

I have been considering fmic

1kz run hot as hell stock try stay under 700c post turbo manifold temps will be up round 850c to 900c

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ~Slideways~ said:

What's yours like for towing your race car? Mine needs more fuel to maintain speed up hills, so I'll be getting the screw driver out soon. Then if that's not enough I'll get into the water meth.

Pretty good actually (its only a light car remember).  Bombays it will chug up quite happily at 85-90k with say 3/4 throttle but not exactly mashed to the floor - I don't like thrashing it too much as they are known to be a kettle.  Last time I ran up there I had boost down at 14psi.  Ive had it had 18/19psi and its quite a bit different.  Just a bit of a juggle getting the pump tuned to suit seeing as its only an NA one currently.  The main issue with mine is that is wont hold peak boost in top gear and lopwer rpm so the exhaust housing is a bit big.  Its a .58 currently and ive got a .49 to go on which should help.  I don't really rev it out much so I don't think I will notice any top end drop.   I should also pull finger and fit the compensator to the pump.  One day.

• Like 1

I needed to tow the trailer again so as a test I pulled out the old redundant w2a radiator (its 40mm thick and covers the whole grill area), then turned up the fuel a quarter of a turn, adjusted idle down then tested towing over Haywards Hill.

Now its pulling in 5th and not losing speed up long hills, no sign of water temp problems and EGT's only got to 560deg pre turbo. So it's towing much better and room for more fuel.

Will be interesting to see what it goes like without the big tandem trailer on the back.