Arduino stuff/ programing/so cheap

flyingbrick

On 10/02/2021 at 17:18, Willdat? said:

He's actually looking at refining it this year, I'm encouraging him to document it so that others could follow the recipe if they were interested. To be honest the technology curriculum is set up for prototyping rather than making a final polished product.

He's also making the CNC plasma I mentioned in @ThePogs thread.

Caught up with this student a few weeks back. He's just finishing his second year at UC and wants to develop this project further so is going to work on it over summer. Just looking at upgrading my personal kit, is there a Knipex, or similar quality for cheaper option out there?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Willdat? said:

Caught up with this student a few weeks back. He's just finishing his second year at UC and wants to develop this project further so is going to work on it over summer. Just looking at upgrading my personal kit, is there a Knipex, or similar quality for cheaper option out there?

is there information missing from this post? :-) 

9 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

is there information missing from this post? :-) 

Which bit? My first project is upskilling so I can teach it better to students, I want them to do a solar tracker project next year, and an antclass robot wars kind of thing in 2025. I need to be able to solve the problem before I teach it, I find nice hand tools make fiddly wiring more of a satisfying process...

I haven't touched microcontrollers for a long while, but I've got some projects coming up.

The first is a babelfish to go between my lithium battery and inverter so they can talk to each other. Luckily someone has written the code so it should be an easy one. He used an esp32, which on the face of it is kind of like arduino but cheaper and more powerful. Anyone got experience with these?

Curiosity got the better of me and I ordered one with a 2.8" touch screen. $28 shipped from aliexpress. Also a micropython book from the library.

pt144475955-esp32_lvgl_3_5_inch_tft_color_display_screen_module_320_x_480_tft_lcd_touch_screen_module.jpg.4bb8968fdbc7afedc63429ba4ef7fc63.jpg

I have a grain mill for flour, but each flour works differently from supermarket flour so I need more control over my bread maker. I also want to be able to do sourdough which needs a longer rise time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Welcome to 

Roman Dave's guide to drawing a circle on a screen when you are mathematically smooth brained

Surely drawing a circle has to be one of the most common and easy things, so there would be heaps of libraries for it? 
Yeah there are, but they all use radians which makes absolutely no sense to me.

So instead of figuring out why radians are good I'm going to brute force my way through the problem by not understanding anything.

My LED screen has a resolution of 128x64. 
So If I want to draw some circles on it, or having a sweeping needle on a gauge that is circular, or, whatever. 
The answer is something to do with Cosine or whatever calculation right? 

YEAH PROBABLY.

Instead you can draw a circle in Mspaint that is 64 pixels tall, then count all of the pixels around the perimeter. 
So thats the maximum possible number of visible divisions that my circle can have. 
Works out to be something like 3.something degrees per division. 
So I make a lookup table with 45 values in it (2 degree increments) 

then draw a quarter of a circle in fusion 360 and measure the X and Y coordinates as I rotate the line in 2 degree increments. 

It turns out that the X axis values are the same as the Y axis values, just starting from the other end. 
So I can have a lookup table with only 45 values in it to describe any point in the circle's X and Y coordinates to 2 degrees accuracy"
(Flipping X or Y values depending on which quarter of the circle it needs to be)

//X value = circleLUT [degrees/2]
//Y value = circleLUT [46-degrees/2]
int circleLUT[46] =  {0,17,35,52,70,87,104,121,138,155,171,187,203,219,235,250,264,280,293,308,321,334,347,360,372,383,394,405,415,424,433,442,449,457,463,469,476,481,485,489,492,495,497,499,499,500};

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 05/03/2024 at 22:29, VitesseEFI said:

Hello….. I resemble this remark (not just mathematically some would claim :ph34r:)

But even I can (mostly) follow Professor Dave’s tutorial :)

I have done some pretty cool things with arduino but seem to forget things just as fast as i can learn them.

I have no idea what he is talking about most of the time but the moving lights are pretty.

• Haha 2

On 10/02/2021 at 12:07, Roman said:

Sorry just saw this. Id say unlikely to even be on canbus let alone sent to obd2. (Which is usually cut down to a standard set of things)

Its possibly info on canbus though, but thats highly specific car to car.

You can use a can bus sniffer to see if any of the bits or bytes change value when you hit the brake or indicator though.

Old post, but I'd like to say- It can be amazing which things ARE controlled by canbus these days. It would not at all surprise me if brakes and tail lamps were more often than not canbus these days.

Even tail lights on new motorcycles can be canbus. 

the BYD's horn has an annoying delay which im sure is because its controlled via canbus. Its definitely not hard wired like traditional.

• Like 1

Yeah CANbus is kinda industrialised i2c-ish, but made robust for auto use, and it has deterministic servicing order, so the brake controller messages go through before the one asking if the light for the lip-stick-heater-indicator lamp is on.

• Like 3

On 07/03/2024 at 13:31, Roman said:

Recently Dad's car broke the rear door handle, and no inside button. But it turns out he could log in with a canbus scan tool to pop it open.

Have seen this with vws with broken window switches. Just always have the laptop plugged in bro vw life

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, tortron said:

Have seen this with vws with broken window switches. Just always have the laptop plugged in bro vw life

I tailgated a Golf gti with the plate 321GO in the morrie today. When he could finally pass the car in front there were so many pops and bangs

/ling

• Like 1