Arduino stuff/ programing/so cheap

flyingbrick

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone played with stm32?

Considering further scope creeping my project into oblivion haha.

Has some awesome graphics processing stuff which makes ui design a lot easier. And its shitloads faster and doesnt need a screen controller board which is my current speed bottleneck.

Have used others in the ARM cortex family, e.g. the NXP LPC family. Nice processors, good compilers available, good computational output for cycle, great peripherals options, and arduino based options, so you can (mostly) just port your code across from other devices. Popular in a range of applications, including cheap Aliexpress laser ToF thingies.

Have at! :)

I've got to say though it looks great but there's a dizzying array of options. 

The dev board looks cool but doesnt quite do what I want, so next step designing my own PCB? eeekk

That might be a bridge too far for me at this stage.

22 hours ago, Roman said:

Anyone played with stm32?

Considering further scope creeping my project into oblivion haha.

Has some awesome graphics processing stuff which makes ui design a lot easier. And its shitloads faster and doesnt need a screen controller board which is my current speed bottleneck. 

I had a play with the stm32f429 disco a few years back. Took quite a while to get the configs setup correctly as stm cube was quite buggy, especially when you're using a lot of other peripherals. Maybe it's better now? They provide a graphics library called stemwin which is pretty handy for building a generic GUI.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2019 at 18:06, Roman said:

I've got to say though it looks great but there's a dizzying array of options. 

The dev board looks cool but doesnt quite do what I want, so next step designing my own PCB? eeekk

That might be a bridge too far for me at this stage.

Making your own PCB isn't too hard. With all the cheap fab houses around these days it's no big deal if you make the odd mistake or five. I made one for a project and only screwed up a dozen or so times ;)

https://www.hackster.io/davemckelvie/making-an-led-matrix-display-controller-58b1ab

• Like 2

Yeah at the moment I've got a whole bunch of shit just thrown together in a housing as individual boards that I want to consolidate.
2 power supplies, teensy 3.6, an opto isolator board and some brightness controls. (LDR & a mosfet)

I might try that and stick with the Teensy first and see if I can make a board that works without any unexpected headaches.

Then put on big boy pants later on for STM32 stuff. 

It's just a bit daunting to start with I guess! 

Need to spend some time learning Eagle or similar.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Made an electronic ignition using an arduino.  Can leave it running on the bench for hours with an electric drill turning the cam sensor over, no problems.
Put it in the car & it kills the arduino in 20 seconds.
And for some reason it was putting the whole thing into a boot loop the few seconds before it died this time.
Lucky i'm not using genuine, china clones are cheap enough to sacrifice a few but i think i'll stop soon.
Used a separate power supply for the arduino & MOSFET drivers this time.  Still cooked it.

I don't get it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ghostchips said:

I had a wooden box with fancy brass screws and clear plastic windows.... and a cooling fan.
(Would post a video here but everyone would laugh at it)

Dude, you made an electronic ignition and installed it into a car older than microprocessors, and it ran. I'm impressed, and would love to see it.

• Like 2

What kind of powersupply are you using? 

LM7805?

What I'd try do is isolate the two tasks, have the arduino running from the power from the car without doing anything connected to the ignition for starters.

If that's stable, then you know its the ignition side of things causing problems. 
Otherwise, your powersupply from car needs some work.

No idea how to troubleshoot either things though.

oh man, good luck!

you are now diving into the single worst system in electronics... car ignition shit.

Car power is hard because the power supply is NOISY and shit. Add to that a VR sensor or something (which has a 150V signal BTW) and you're up shit creep in regards to noise and weird voltage offsets yada yada yada... 

Share some schematics of what you have and i'll have a peek, but fuck, what a project to tackle hahaha

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Willdat? said:

Dude, you made an electronic ignition and installed it into a car older than microprocessors, and it ran. I'm impressed, and would love to see it.

This probably make riddick the smartest person here on OS.

I would also like videos 

Also remember that your ignition system will be under significantly more load when the spark plugs are in a high pressure air/fuel environment. You could simply just be drawing too much current from your output pins if you have a flawed circuit.

Are you grounding the arduino directly back to the battery? Battery acts like a big buffer and can help smooth stuff out in the noisy automotive environment.

As ned says, schematics schematics, schematics

• Like 1

f6P4ScE.jpg

The first one. 

1ZueAck.jpg

The second one. Using that now.

Today my tests revealed why one of the sensors was becoming increasingly faulty.   They've been receiving 18 volt spikes.  Not sure where that came from or how to isolate that from the arduino.

• Like 6