Running 3phase Tyre Changer on Single Phase

PHLEX

Just picked up a Corghi A2001S tyre changer 3 phase model.

I know there is boxes you can buy that allow them to be run on single phase but was wondering if anybody had experience rewiring a tyre machine to run on single phase without the need for extra bits? I know they only spin one way but that doesn't worry me too much if its going to save a whole lot of cash.

I have seen people using capacitors to boost the charge for the missing wire but am not a sparky so am reluctant to start playing round with that sorta stuff!

A friend of mine got one of those boxes off ebay for his tyre changer and it is very well, I run 3 phase motors on single phase with a capacitor start, the problem is it takes a wile to wind up to speed or it stalls, and if I load it up it will stall, I can pretty much garentee that it won't work very well.

Awesome thanks! I saw those boxes on ebay and ali express but wasn't sure if the capacitors was a good idea or not and I suppose although slow spinning they need to maintain torque sometimes.   Will look into the converter box!

I had seem some people talking about a VSD but removed that as an option as anything we did would need to be able to be plugged into a standard wall socket as the building the tyre machine will be in is our lockup in an old factory building which has been divided into 3 or 4 units and is all run off the same power board and we have no access to it. Due to it being a "power included in rent" deal we don't want to ask the landlord for 3 phase or to run extra wires from the meter as we will likely end up with a rent increase. Plus due to the housing development going up around us we don't want anything too permanent as you never know when the place will be sold

Im going to suggest getting your hands on a single phase motor and wiring with a cap to work in reverse.

You want the table to start/stop dead so vsd even at max hz rate may not be ideal. 

My mates tyre macine is  running a single phase motor off my drill mill when i converted it to 3 phase. Goes hard.

There is a thread somewhere on here about vsd wiring from my mill conversion.

• Like 1

Might give stocks a call and find out what the price is for a new single phase motor as this model appears to have come in single phase also.

On the subject,  Can anybody identify this power point? It is labelled 15A and is on the wall closest to where the tyre machine is. Unsure if its still live but if it is it would be ideal to save using a 20M extension cord.

IMG_7090.gif.050275b75c7ef63ad3e7c1b3d7a8dbef.gif

It's an old reyrolle type. 

I don't think they are legal except for existing installations. 

I'd suggest a picking up a modern PDL set instead, something like this, they are fairly cheap on TM.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/electrical-lighting/switches-switchboards/other/auction-1358393720.htm

/iamnotanelectrician

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd jump back in and give a conclusion. I ended up going with a solid state 1.5HP frequency converter which has worked to get it going in both directions and cost us just over $100 on eBay. 

Definitely worth the money to get it going relatively simply, downside of running a 3 phase motor on 240V is that it is lacking a bit of torque. Tested it out on a bunch of 17" wheels we had kicking round and short of needing a slight helping hand occasionally it was faultless.  Total cost of tyre machine and the converter is a little under $700 so still less than half the cost of a Chinese single phase 

• Like 1

Had not even considered that. Both diagrams are on the lid for the terminal box. Will do some research and give it a go. It is however it was wired before. Didn't take too much notice other than to identify what colours had been wired to what terminal (U V W)

Bookmarked that for a potential upgrade if the slow speed gets annoying. Actually surprised nobody seems to sell a pre wired plug in plug out single phase to three phase converter for these types of scenarios. However not overly difficult to wire once you know what each letter means