Mofs Toyota Hiace/Holden

KKtrips

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considered goin straight lp gas? 

Helped a mate set up an old bedford motor home running a holden 6.

Ripped out the rusty fuel tank and a heap of other crap. Fitted 3 lp gas tanks 2 linked permanently to give about 160L and a 3rd as a "reserve/emergency  tank" this is isolated via a solenoid.  But this 3rd tank is mainly used for the cooktop and hotwater etc. 

We fitted an impco 425 mixer on an old cain 4bl manifold.

Bumped the compression ratio up using a 161 head. and fitted some chev rockers to "increase cam effect" (engine was a full budget job).

We dumped the trimatic auto and fitted a vn v6 4spd auto. 

Funny you mentioned that because that did pass my head at some point. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to "convert" to lpg but it's a very thirsty engine so a cheaper fuel source would be good.

Is it literally a case of getting an lpg carb and manifold to fit and the tanks and that's it? You're running LPG? Would this also have to be certified?

Convertor is needed aswell. And some safety valves etc.

Lpg has to be certified every 10yrs here (australia) aswell as a plate attached to number plates.

I have no ideawhats required in NZ.

But could be worth a look as to whats involved. 

You tend to use more lpg than petrol in dual fuel systems. In straight gas they come back closer to par, if the engine is set up better eg comp, spark, cam etc.

But gas here is usually about 40c a litre cheaper than petrol so you still tend to come out cheaper running gas than petrol even in duel fuel setups.

Need tank in current test (vans need it boxed and vented to outside) 

LPG install plate  ( alloy plate from random LPG guy cost me 15$ did not look at car at all ) 

lpg warrant and sniffer test 45$ 

done 

sell petrol tank and retard hell out of ignition for slower burn and enjoy cheap motoring 

Definitely something to look into. Think lpg is half the price of petrol atm.. 

What's the converter? 

Not sure what lpg availability is like in NZ but would probably go straight lpg as it probably saves headache I would imagine. 

Cheers guys. Something for me to think about. Will get the bloody thing running first! 

I'd recommend going lpg dedicated as @8ball suggests. The 214 powered TK Bedford I had was dual fuel but I ran it on lpg almost all the time for the price advantage. Think I only tried it on petrol twice in the three years I had it and it ran like shit anyway.

• Like 1

Our VK Holden wagon is running the set up you mentioned in your build thread. Black 3.3 Holden 6 with 2 barrel Weber carb and electronic distributor from a blue engine. It goes pretty well for what it is but I expect it would be working pretty hard in a motorhome. I would be happy to post up a few pics of the carb conversion if it would be helpful. 

Thee weight won't be the issue.

Its the fact it has the aerodynamics of a brick.

To get moving you need ratio and hp. Lacking hp (read stock 202) you need ratio.

So low diff ratio (3.7-4.11 etc) issue then is high rpm at 100kph.

How do you comprise?

You dont. You go overdrive.

Its why we fitted a th700 4spd auto. Has a lower 1st gear than the 3spd auto and it also has overdrive and a lockup clutch. Which helps heaps.

If you're gonna stay manual then a vh/vk 5spd or celica/supra 5spd manual would be the go.

We went auto as it was easier to set  up for shifter etc. And anyone can drive an auto. Plus holiday laziness.

• Like 1