Jo_Rolla's 1983 KP62 Toyota Starlet

Jo_Rolla

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I reckon the 211 degree cam from Kennelly would do you good. 5K can handle a bit more cam than a 4K without losing too much usability

When I had one in my 4K it was a little gutless below 2500 but above 3000 until 7000 it just kept pulling. Was a little lumpy at idle.

Compression ratio depends on the cam you want to run.

You need to know when the intake valve is closing then you can calculate the desired dynamic compression ratio. Just blindly aiming for 10:1 isn't really ideal.

For every increase in compression ratio by 1 you only get 3% more power or thereabouts, so it really makes no sense to increase compression for just getting more power. Best off to match to your cam to get optimal results (best power without pinging).

Best yet, ask the cam grinder what ratio they recommend with that cam.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Cam_and_compression_ratio_compatibility

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

exhaust rings go between the primary (manifold) and sencondary runners. ie two of same size.  The single larger ring is for the 4 into 1 style manifold where it connects to rest of exhaust. 
Pic is of a km36 van 5k manifold which is kinda reverse of the corolla version.  Made up a new flange to suit.

• Thanks 1

Trying to fix rust in that area is a pain in the arse.

Take out the dash or just the glove box and access it from the back.

Mine looks a bit different because it has the heater inlet holes blocked off because racecar and it seemed like a good idea at the time. 

20210325_102757.thumb.jpg.f4306f39a8bde0628b311e18daff02b6.jpg

2 hours ago, Jo_Rolla said:

@Adoom I'm not sure it's rusted through. 

IMG_20210325_195236.jpg.a4bcede56dbebefba29ffa201a2ca982.jpg

Looks rusted through to me. 

Cut it out. In fact cut it out way bigger than you need so you can get something in there to clean back as much of the surfaces as you can. I'm a fan of a bicycle cable through a pice Of rod in a drill.

Then paint and load it up with fishoil or wax

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jo_Rolla said:

@Adoom I'm not sure it's rusted through. Would you recommend cutting it out? I was wondering if sand blasting the area would work then painting the shit out of it?

I'd aggressively scrape at it with a screwdriver you don't like much or some other sharp pointy thing so you can see how bad it is.

If it's just light surface rust you could clean it up real good and paint over it. Epoxy if you have it, but something like hammerite is probably good enough.

If there is any pitting, and definitely if there are pin holes, I'd want to cut that out and weld a patch in. But I've had a bunch of practice welding panel steel.....

Just now, Adoom said:

I'm having difficulty imaging this thing you describe. 

I think he means running cable through a hole in a rod. Then putting that into a drill? Sounds like a compact wire wheel. Kind of

I will give it a poke with something or can I leave it and pretend I didn't see it :pukeright: