Jo_Rolla's 1983 KP62 Toyota Starlet

Jo_Rolla

Scored a decent motherlode of bits and bobs. A chunk of it is for a 2 door/ slant front so if anyone spots any pieces they're after give me a bell and I'll let you know if I'm keeping it or we can sort something out.

1489697056.thumb.jpg.293d531a35262cf457ddab02cb4ccf91.jpg1489697508.thumb.jpg.60b0a12f13e5f077ab418c8efb15a6c9.jpg1489696996.thumb.jpg.b7bc93ccdc710a227bd9ac1656f54a97.jpg

Got some advice on tweaking my exhaust and have started having a go at that. The outfit that welded on the dumpy really went HAM with the welds pain in the ass to get it flat.

XEF96LiKyY1B0Ptu7Nz2lOimdUABw6H41e26G3l3vm0Gc0GrfZJzhTdT47skrvkFS4CHSQMh9E8mTSff4p72bJVTw7vOlRgRROn4D7GDSnzjFuZXzOaHEk6pin2DAjEyvXthTTIwNAlhXQc7X_3JBtE4qlJgPwFNxH0cJIrHNw0Ro0MailjwRT7XWXa85o6eTUxuZMAWPEK4HDn5m5gRYd7y1Zy6ZgGCUcO3GqV-6XudC0NqUdju-DJqd1NSqwP1sylwp1BNPnmPXHHOHeJS9BC-v-cbPoDxoWPIwIpy9cVOYG4FBsUZTnqClbRH7ks267RC0lu7lOVCko2TGeBIPj7aRXz-ZSMWzoA7dVv8LRkRnTiIJ4oSTpTmXv4FS6PeCOoDrXkPxO-Hbw-rMeag7pQORetjqBOl56MRkKqv6zgIK-5z5x1i-DFPUHvVwYN3Ut7WlRpPxvNguprSLV6_lPDfhAzpPDdHf46HhvmqElD-eWWDY3eqVNTtPAsN1y06KRsBOh9X8FQYnQ3E6zlSVvdAaJRENEq93dY35sM9UAC-9X0JPTEiLvbGyLM6H4MX-SFW1V-JH3L62_2m8R6ziO26xU1IVadq2C8lgkpBVB9JYsmRcKAncYsw3tpxwiPbmmAHfkbcWanxPejlFLD147I_WqyiKwdUEbWAJlY9NGraDt4xcxo72E0mhJkcsA=w2522-h1135-no?authuser=0IMG_20210303_185306.jpg.f091a0d5b621407b903b7d8333491e00.jpg

Picked myself up a new toy. now i just need to learn how to weld :grin:

IMG_20210303_142432.thumb.jpg.3a2248eaf3be91842657bf07c636da3a.jpgIMG_20210304_142938.thumb.jpg.3463513e6fadd4666ea7d4d788333e44.jpg

not a bad length :badgrin:

• Like 4

This photo makes the tip look very much on the piss. But I swear it looks good. My welds how ever do not. 

IMG_20210304_180430.jpg

IMG_20210304_180214.jpg

Currently if I load up the back with people the exhaust hits on one of the diff mounts so will have a go at shifting it slightly more to the left.

Also need to look at some higher spring rates in the rear as these standard cobras sit on the bump stops with about 50 kilos in the back

• Like 1

Took it for a drive today and the exhaust is a lot better. Can have a conversation at 2500 rpm and it's still nice and loud WOT.

Swapped the choke from a 26/27 to 25/27 and it feels more responsive at lower rpm.

IMG_20210306_120605.thumb.jpg.6a82f2ff96518e7a9e9f19352bf4c4d5.jpg

Is it odd that this piece only has 1 hole? I don't really under stand the intricacies of a carburettor. But my donor carb has 2 holes.

In my infinite wisdom I purchased some dashboard carpet from the USA and forgot they drive on the otherside of the road :bounce: :pukeright:.

spacer.png

Nothing my textile skills from 4th form can't handle

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will have a go at stitching it up tomorrow. Should come out alright.

IMG_20210306_160307.thumb.jpg.cbb3209411a26a38bbade7f2d6cb7e05.jpg

Managed to pickup a din slot. It's originally from a slant front I think. Trying to think up a good way to fill the space above it? If anyone has an original radio interior piece I would be keen I've got an original blank lying around somewhere.

• Like 4

Had a go at sizing up the combustion chamber today. Google said it was about 32cc (standard CR 9.3:1) and I managed to get a very similar amount with a syringe. 

Tried my hand at a bit of 4th form math and calculated the flat surface area of the combustion chamber at around 36cm^2 (no idea how accurate this method is but it seems pretty close, https://youtu.be/vYmemgPa87I)

IMG_20210312_220140.thumb.jpg.c2be69a577bfbf1fbfe7ae561a98aef3.jpg

If I aim for a desired CR of ~10:1 I need around a combustion chamber of ~28.8cc.

0.025 x 36 (31.1cc, CR9.5:1)

0.09 X 36 = 3.24 (32-3.24 = 28.76 ,CR 9.97:1)

0.1 = 3.6 (28.4cc, CR 10.1:1)

0.15 = 5.4 (26.6cc, CR 10.5:1)

0.208 = 7.5 (24.5cc, CR 11:1)

CR values Bore 80.5mm, Stroke 73mm, CH 32cc. dome volume 6cc (dished pistons) deck clearance 0?, HG 1.3mm

I think getting 1mm skimmed off would give me a good ratio. Thoughts? How much would be too much? 

• Like 1

Dropped the cam off to Henry at Auckland cams. He's gonna sort me out. He suggested a CR of 9.5:1 and some new valve springs. 

Picked up a gasket kit

spacer.png

Turns out the old head gasket was for a 4k.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hard to see if but all the pistons are smaller.

Anyone care to tell me what these are for? 

spacer.png

• Like 3

Picked up some shiny pieces

spacer.png

Also picked up some more 4AGE accessories

spacer.png

spacer.png

Twin dellortos 45mm on a bigport manifold, will make swapping into the KP a lot simpler. Was told if I touch the coil it will kill me. So that's nice. 

Started on replacing the cam. Needed a new sump gasket so out with the old. The timing cover gasket did not survive so will order a new one tomorrow. 

spacer.png

also got picked up a new crank seal to stem the oil leak. Much oil.

spacer.png

Need to find somewhere to skim the head a bit. Gonna go with 0.25mm. anyone have somewhere on the north shore they like?

• Like 7

Dropped the head off at North Shore engine reconditioners today. getting 0.25mm removed, new valve springs installed, freshen up the valves and some new studs as 3 of the 6 were mostly stripped and require some helicoils.

In my quest to find some gasket remover to get the stubborn timing cover gasket off I bought some CRC gasket aerosol it said it can remove carbon build up.

spacer.png

Carbon be gone super impressed. One application got it almost all completely off.

spacer.png

spacer.png

New cam/lifters are in. Sump is going back on with a a fresh seal. Due to get the head back on Friday. With any luck I may have this back running by Sunday. 

• Like 9

Shiny bits

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Made up a small filler piece for the dash. Will have a go at painting it black. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Found my dashboard blank. So if anyone has the original radio plastic I would be keen. Help undo younger mes mistake of cutting up the dash cause I needed some doof doof.

spacer.png

• Like 4

spacer.png

Really loving these new rims. Car is also about an inch closer to the ground.

Got the car all back together the other night and did a run in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Struggled to get good smooth rpm. Searched and searched for a vaccum leak. Timed it more than once. Messed around with the carb. Then I pulled the plugs.

spacer.png

Not sure a gap of 0 is recommended (should have checked before assembling :scratch:) 3/4 were too close, re gapped to 0.9mm and boom perfect idle again. 

Took it for a test drive and forgot to tighten the accelerator cable and it cable loose after the first rev up :thumbright:. Really happy with the cam so far.

over easter period will head up to my storage facility (dad's shed) and pick up my 4.3 diff. Currently the car has a 3.4 :pukeright: which I put in when I was poor student trying to save on gas.

I also have a set of OG Toyota centre caps in storage so will try and steal @jackeo21s idea and see if they fit.

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Removed the front left guard to have a look under there and get access to the rust on the firewall.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Had very little rust in there which I was stoked about. Gave it a clean up and slapped on some stone chip

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dropped a ton of parts of at my storage facility

spacer.png

Picked up my spare diff head which is a 3.9, could have sworn I had a 4.3 but no. Still better than a 3.4. Also picked up some spare front struts so I can have a play with some homebrew coilovers. Grabbed my spare rear left door as well as mine doesn't have much life left in it, my spare is 99.9% rust free. Grabbed the Toyota centre caps and sorted out fitting those. 

spacer.png

The original red was looking sad so gave them a quick clean up. Before and after a quick polish.

spacer.png

I wasn't happy with how secure they were from the front. Decided to insert them from the back :thumbleft:. Now they can never be removed without first removing the wheel. Maximum secure.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Think they suit the wheels and came out looking pretty good.

Front guard rust

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

After a quick hit with the sandblaster I can see the rust goes all the way through. I've thought about doing a cut and weld job but my skills in welding are probably lacking for a piece that's front and centre. For now I think I'll try and do a good job of cleaning it up and seal over it with some bog to smooth it out. further down the line I can either get a whole new guard or wait till Im a bit better with the welder. Who knows maybe the rust won't come back :roll:.

Also picked up another goodie. Annoyingly the balance linkage on the 4age manifold doesn't work on the 5k manifold.

spacer.png

Due for a wof so once it's all back together will have a 'todo' list I'm sure.

• Like 5

spacer.png

Holy bog Batman :pukeright:. Bog so think it casts a shadow

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks like the rear fender had some bad luck at some point in its life and they decided to use all the bog. Appears to run all the way up the side. I'm not really in the mood to take it all back. Will try to get as little bog as possible back in there to get the shape and get some paint back on it.

If anyone has some advice for me I'm all ears as I have nil panel experience.

I have taken it a bit more back and slapped some rust kill on for peace of mind

spacer.png

More bog https://imgur.com/a/0Kbzwr5

On a more positive note I scored an original radio piece. Relocated the radio and restored the dash to a more OG standard.

spacer.png

Also dropped the fender off to @tortron to get the rust cut out. If all goes to plan will have a few fresh looking panels in a couple weeks.  

For the people who love some history. I still have the original service booklet. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

JC Anderson one lucky dude. Also missed the cars official 38th birthday. March 23rd. Still in the process of giving it a proper birthday. 

spacer.png

Car hasn't had a service since 88. I even still have the original 3K sitting in storage with a cracked head.

spacer.png

If anyone is good with car colours. Could they help me out. The paint shop can't find a good match for my paint (which is the original colour as far as I know) 

spacer.png

Had some stuff mixed up a couple years ago and they seem to have used the trim code??? Official colour name is light charcoal and it is metallic.

spacer.png

If someone could point me the right direction for my colour code I would be grateful. Toyota 140 seems to kinda make sense 

• Like 2