Simple / common carbs

antz

Hey hey

Trying to work out what would be a simple and easily-obtainable carb that I could use for my daughter's project.

It's a 1.5L d series honda 4 cyl block. Initially we started working on it so she could get her head around how everything works, etc, so now it's all rebuilt and painted up, etc. The next logical stage is to get it to run on the stand. I got a factory carb but it's a maze of vacuum hoses, (it's an early 90s model) and I don't think it'll be easy for her to work out how things work.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what would be a simple carb that i might still be able to find at PickAPart or Zebra (or trademe, whatever) that would be simple enough to rebuild, and hook up. I can make up an adaptor to fit it to the factory intake manifold - that's no problem, just don't know which carbs are simple and are still easy to find these days.

Here is the build so far: https://nzhondas.com/topic/182761-my-daughters-first-rebuild-d15b/

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've been here before, the HIF44 SU ain't a barry spec carb, but a top notch swap on basically anything that's plagued by complex emission crap. A single one of those would be more than adequate. But bike carbs will sound and look cooler. Go for Mikuni's, basically miniature Japanese made SU's anyway

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Sounds like going with an SU is a good idea. I might stick with a single one for now just to keep things as simple as possible.

Since Borgweiser mentioned Mikuni, I found this one here on AliExpress. I understand it'll be some kind of a Chinese knockoff, but for $32NZD with shipping, seems like it might be worth a risk. Also another 30mm one here. Would these 30mm carbs be big enough to run the 1.5?

At this point we aren't putting it into anything, just to get it to run, perhaps use it as a generator or something. So it definitely won't be used for driving.

1 hour ago, antz said:

Thanks everyone. Sounds like going with an SU is a good idea. I might stick with a single one for now just to keep things as simple as possible.

Since Borgweiser mentioned Mikuni, I found this one here on AliExpress. I understand it'll be some kind of a Chinese knockoff, but for $32NZD with shipping, seems like it might be worth a risk. Also another 30mm one here. Would these 30mm carbs be big enough to run the 1.5?

At this point we aren't putting it into anything, just to get it to run, perhaps use it as a generator or something. So it definitely won't be used for driving.

1 & 1/4" SU = 31.75mm, 1 & 1/2" SU = 38.1mm, 1 & 3/4" = 44.45mm

SU_vs_disp.jpg

• Like 3

Ok I ended up grabbing this one here (the 34mm version): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Six-diameter-24-26-28-30-32-34-mm-Mikuni-universal-Carburetor-parts-Scooters-with-power/32397946437.html

Looking at the graph that Locost_Bryan posted it'll be a bit low on power, but we aren't planning to rev the crap out of it anyway. The carb looks extremely simple which is the main point of this for now.

Thanks again for everyone's help.