98cc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got all the nuts and bolts polished up ready for the platers 

5x2ivlzx.fbh.jpg

The last big thing that had to be sorted out was the front brake,  my original plan a few years ago was to use this super sweet Benelli item 

x1bxqgdj.nle.jpg

gqqmjkox.xng.jpg

With my plan now to try make a period style racer it was a bit out of place, i remember finding a picture once of a bantam racer from the 50s that had a twin front drum made out of bantam hubs, i think this would look pretty cool as well as hopefully adding a bit of braking performance. A friend sent me a couple of spare hubs he had..

rvit02qa.e44.jpg

Bit of hacksaw action 

4kfmzzwx.4fr.jpg

Faced true 

gvgcj1zk.rtp.jpg

Clamped and tacked, I turned up a tube to go through the center of the 2 half's to ensure good alignment before welding 

gj1zfgea.t2e.jpg

Should do the trick 

w3ov0jti.02c.jpg

• Like 9

Love the front drum, fantastic innovation. How are bsa drums designed, are the leading or trailing style? Just thinking if run backwards if that changes things? Could it lock on? Sorry just thinking out loud...in reality I have no idea what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

Kimjon, good question! I've given that very little thought so far haha but sould be able to make something work. They are single leading shoe, with a single trailing shoe. It might involve moving the pivot point of the shoes to mirror the other (original) side. 

Thanks Karl! Do you ever get out Ardmore airfield way? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3 days to the show..  Might be pushing it but i think i can get there.

Original exhaust was pretty pitted so got some tube to make up a new one,  The megaphone was off my dads Austin 7 racer he built in the 80's. It was so loud that he had to take it off and its been hanging around ever since. 

en50oggc.eqw.jpg

Hub parts painted 

54umlkbq.iwn.jpg

And wheel laced up with the new stainless spokes, will try and true it up tomorrow night 

5dz5fezb.qqs.jpg

I also got some of these rubber ties from a bantam place in England,  should be a bit nicer that zip ties to hold the cables to the frame 

jxhcyrsu.snx.jpg

• Like 9

You get the scavenge, but not the back pulse.

Will pull all the burnt stuff out of cylinder (as well as pulling some fresh fuel mix into the exhaust).
There is no return pulse to push this fresh mix back into the cylinder though, but still better than a straight pipe.

This is what they did before proper spannies.

• Like 4

As of tonight the bike is about 95% finished and loaded in my van.  It has been a week of midnighters to get it to this stage but im extremely pleased to have it all together for the show this weekend. 

It was to dark in the shed tonight to take any pics but i did get one earlier of the carb trumpet, another high performance Austin 7 part from my dads special 

4rnsm4ac.hok.png

download.jpg.ec687b98217994a0a545fd9bedb6304d.jpg

This is a really good event and heaps of cool stuff turns up, i will probably be hanging around there for most of the weekend. 

• Like 6