Rich1179 1972 rover P6 3500S

day 3 update just ordered an electronic ignition kit, points are shot and kit should be next day to here.

suspect faulty/ blocked carbs so hunting down a aftermarket kit, was sort of planning this from the start as my dad has shown interest in the carbs for his jag...

evening entertainment tonight is looking through trade me for an ignition switch to replace the botch job i currently have n the dash and some other interior goodys

another day another post, so its been 1 week since i collected the car.

tonight we tackled the rear calipers, easy way of getting them out is to drop the diff, damn inboard disks.

anyway striped them both  down and found they where at the limit of adjustment and both pistons where weeping so order new o rings and pads tomorrow.

also found i need a new front to rear line and a new set of rubber lines all around... 45 years takes its toll 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

next update, had to rebuild the calipers again grrrrr damn no longer stocked piston seals, any who rebuilt now and also ordered a kit for the front 3 pot calipers. still got my eye out for a transmition as i need to fix the release bearing anyway so may as well use it as an excuse to upgrade.

hopefully next update will be quicker than this one.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok sorry for the late reply,

firstly had a good night at the Auckland meet a couple of months ago since then had a few things come up.

A ) breaks are good until they are on gravel...

B ) once on gravel they lock the wheels and you end up in the side of a levin...

C ) levin doors are no match for a front right corner of a P6.

so yea basically just got a shipment of new panels to replace the front corner with a new light fitting as the current one is permanently attached to the wing now...

as a side note i have a new T5 box and a 3.9V8 to replace the 4 speed that may or may not have 10mm of play in the output shaft (that may explain the dodgy speedo...)

It will be ready for Nats promise...

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Ok long delay but another update, firstly big thanks for all the help I managed to get a new front wing (being installed arfter lunch). Ok on to things I have done... first I found this loverly range rover discovery with an itty-bitty 3.9 in it. All other parts are available if anyone here needs them... secondly I have just rebuilt the old 4 speed as yet to find a 5 speed that will work. Also the rover 3.9 got fitted with the front dress off the p6 however I'm using the discovery pick up and sump  (extra oil). Still haven't been for a test drive but sounds angry. 

1509152814235-121661524.jpg

1509153006450-47628836.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Right got a 5 speed. .. out of a nissan z31 3ltwin turbo. Auto bell housing fitted with a custom plate and now test fitting time.

Well it's close nothing a little grinding won't fix... yes I'm trying to keep the rover floor as stock as possible :D

received_1598481843534997.jpeg

received_1598517090198139.jpeg

received_1598517750198073.jpeg

• Like 7

ill get photos up later but left my dad to have a go at getting the gearbox to fit last night when i went to do an errand. came back to him looking for steal to make the cross member out of.

shifter is a little far back but ok

• 3 weeks later...