• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so in true blizzshop fashion i got sidetracked with another project before the Africa Twin was finished. With the Brass Monkey being postponed until next year i lost a bit of motivation to finish the twin, and with East cape not too far around the corner again i thought i better hurry up and build a bike for it.

I had purchased an old Xl100 to build up a while ago, plan was to throw an XR200r engine and a Cg125 tank on it and send it.

xi1X7ir.jpg

Delving further into the XL frame tho, there was some nasty as shit repairs, it was a bit bent and the swing arm was wonky, and it wasnt going to fit the XR200 engine that well, so i shit canned that idea

jtauRZL.jpg

xxVuW1Y.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

When looking for an XR200 engine this CT185 popped up on here. grabbed it for the engine which was supposed to be an XR200 but was actually a lame mishmash of Xl185/ATC200 parts with boring cam and compression so that went under the bench, but thought i might try work with the frame, which was worked out alright, just needs a new rear section.

zWrzMfL.jpg

Rear hoop and stays got hacked off, new one getting made this weekend.

nVdR83i.jpg

to make the front end work with the CG tank without smashing the shit out of it / having no lock i needed so offset triples. after oodles of searching what would fit nicely i found some 80's CB125T triples, snapped them up and whacked them on and was golden. good lock and no knock.

lSFMn6s.jpg

You can see here i have whacked some classy golden boys on as well. 3.5-19" front and 4.0-19" rear. front only just fits, but ive got a bit of a plan here to get some more clearance and will run incise dust caps.

ECz9c0m.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Leading up to east cape I have been putting a bit of work into the CT185 again. Building two bikes at once (this and the vespa) has its challenges but i'm getting there finally with both of them.

As this will be running full electrics I wanted to make a nice discreet electrics tray for under the seat to hold the CDI, flasher, Battery (capacitor) and the bulk of the loom. Thought the easiest way was to make it out of fibreglass so I whipped up a wooden mould and laid one out. couldnt be bothered doing the whole plug and mould situation to get a nice finish so rough fibreglass will do.

81rVhbl.jpg

Tuned out alright i think and is fit for purpose. will be painted black to blend in with the black frame.

PHEm5qH.jpg

wWcYcRB.jpg

Then up next was the seat. Easiest way again was fibreglass. I Wrapped everything with glad wrap after pre drilling mount holes. i started by laying 2 layers of cloth and  layer of chop strand mat. let that dry then put it the seat bolts which are joint together with a piece of steel to stop them turning in the base. I then whacked another 3-4 layers of cloth so it gave me a nice strong thick base that the upholstery rivets will go into nicely.

pbsz2Vt.jpg

Greg was in the middle of moving at this stage so I decided to share the love and sent the base down to Lewis at Tinwald Canvas and upholstery. Lewis also does amazing work. I gave him an example of what I liked the look of a said fill your boots, I just wanted black suede for that classic rally look and tuck and roll top pattern. i was not disappointed and he did a superb job.

IWNy0gc.jpg

The matty B finish looks really good against the honda red I reckon.

2vfnECP.jpg

• Like 6

I was then at the point of "what should I do" with the XR200 engine. It ran fine but was a tad smokey. I could have just given it a buff and a coat of black paint but it would be a shame to make the bike nice without giving the engine a once over. I decided to give it a good birthday without splitting the cases and i'm glad I did.

After pulling the rocker cover off its quite evident something has gone on. The inlet valve had been munched against the inlet tappet screw and made a bit of a mess. really weird as the exhaust valve was fine.

ZfGHEYf.jpg

pe4Fziq.jpg

The cam also had a decent amount of wear. Luckily the cam journals in the head are pretty bloody good a well as the rockers.

j0DIIIg.jpg

I put in an order with Malcom at Anaconda, new cam, gasket set, inlet valve, tappet screw, rings, , full oil seal kit and full gasket set for less than $300, bargain! I also grabbed a new timing chain, new timing chain guides, clutch plates/steels/springs to put in it too.

While i'm waiting for al that to turn up I got the head and cyl bead blasted. gave the cylinder a good hone and it come up really nice. the exhaust valve seat had a bit of pitting on it so I gave it a cut, did the inlet too while I was there.

flAMQrq.jpg

Once the valve turns up ill give them both a good lap in.

exmeOWv.jpg

Couldnt help my self to attack some of the rough casting in the ports. I dont have a proper dome sanding toon to smooth it all out but shell be right, better than what it was factory, especially the exhaust port which was hugely restricted by the casting around the valve guide.

nlrXWyR.jpg

Got the frame back from the sandblasters here in palmy. flicked that off to mitch to finish a few tig welds that we left until it was blasted to get nicer welds. 

YCnVn9Z.jpg

Once that was done gave it a good going over with some brakeclean and whacked a couple of coats of etch primer on it.

fWOgvEc.jpg

Just need to get onto painting it now and sticking it all back together.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

got bloody busy trying to get this thing finished in time so didnt do any updates, might as well fill ya'll in now.

So i went to put the engine back together and noticed the little end of the rod and gudgeon were toast. Rather than do down the rabitt hole of getting a new rod i took the crank to my local machine shop and for a mere $50 they honed out the little end and the piston, then machined an oversized gudgeon pin and she was all hoki mai.

That meant I could get stick into throwing it all together.

Vg5DMW8.jpg

PQa58oN.jpg

When doing so I also noticed the gear shift spline was coozed, so ordered a new one through anaconda ex japan that was going to turn up 3 days before leaving for east cape, heeeeeaps of time.

Aliexpress LED looks lightly out of place on a classic styled bike but jeeebus does she throw some lumens.

zdD4W2Y.jpg

Resident palmy GC matt cut me out some exhaust flanges so I could make a sweet full stainless pipe and get mitch to tig it all up.

kTRPYzI.jpg

Threw the engine in just wihtout the right side cover and clutch as needed to wait for gear shift arm/spline to turn up for that. stocked with how the black come up

ypOAWnY.jpg

Rolled her out for some sunbathing

WbTO9fm.jpg

I tried a side number plate mount but it ust wasnt gunna work with panniers so ended up going off the rear guard

7BgQAbZ.jpg

This jigsaw puzzle took a while

IrOkVgU.jpg

Alloy taped it so I could drop it around to mitch to buzz up

IpP36ft.jpg

• Like 7

This was looking so good at Te Uruweras.

I was very impressed with the pannier racks, nice fab work.

I found similar handling issues, (comparing with my massively uncomparable bike), and I put a lot of that down to having so much weight on the back with gear loaded up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anglia4 said:

This was looking so good at Te Uruweras.

I was very impressed with the pannier racks, nice fab work.

I found similar handling issues, (comparing with my massively uncomparable bike), and I put a lot of that down to having so much weight on the back with gear loaded up.

Yea I made the panniers as far forward as I could, the weight is all forward of the rear axle which shouldn’t make it too bad. Dunno I’ll try the smaller front end and see how I go, might get a few ponies back without ass much tyre weight anyway 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...